News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Inspired Figment

You missed the part about the avoiding any proper discussion/showcase or having proper release of most of the content I mentioned in a historical sense to push a false narrative/history. Not just me going off on me not liking the new shorts or Clubhouse.

peter11435

And this pattern isn’t new by any means. You thought that Mickey story Documentary was just a one off? Just watch the Imagineering story. Notice how they just gloss over classic era EPCOT Center. Not going in any real depth in it like the earlier parts, and never going into the ‘drastic’ changes that happened in the late 90s-2000s that made it the mess it became synonymous with.. huh, I ‘wonder’ why that could be… perhaps because it’d so clearly point to today’s Imagineering & the “new” EPCOT direction by the “savior” Iger being anything ‘but’ a “save” and only a repeat of the issues spearheaded by late Eisner minus Wells (which Iger just so happened to be closely apart of) that have created the still ongoing problems that are gonna bite them in the butt yet again.. hmm

The same reason they pretend the good Mickey of the 90s-early 2000s never existed cause it ultimately showcases that their narrative is wrong and that their “fix” is not a “fix” by any means…
I seem to remember episode 2 focusing quite heavily on classic EPCOT.

Inspired Figment

I seem to remember episode 2 focusing quite heavily on classic EPCOT.
It showcased it but mainly glossed over them with simple imagery not going into any depth into their creation, the folks behind them, or what happened to the park after that period to eventually lead way into today’s imagineering.. keep that in mind. Ridiculously short-ended when that was such a HUGE breakthrough & point in Imagineering’s history & progress on all fronts.

Last edited:

peter11435

It showcased it but mainly glossed over them with simple imagery not going into any depth into their creation, the folks behind them, or what happened to the park after that period to eventually lead way into today’s imagineering.. keep that in mind. Ridiculously short-ended when that was such a HUGE breakthrough in Imagineering on all fronts.
I guess we will just have to disagree… I don’t think they spent much more time or went more in depth with anything else besides Disneyland.. which makes sense. I don't think this part of some grand conspiracy.

Inspired Figment

No conspiracy.. just typical corporate inner politics. If something doesnt support their BS narrative, they won’t want it showcased or out there. Period.. despite it just being entertainment media. 90s-2000s era Mickey not being mentioned for no good reason and classic EPCOT being glossed over and the later changes made to the park that changed it drastically which made it receive lower reception/gain a more negative reputation not being mentioned is no conspiracy. That’s absolute fact. Watch the documentaries for yourselves. I just find it upsetting & ludicrious when those are very important properties & periods in the company’s history and that they’re seemingly intentionally being ignored/completely short-ended due to a false “savior” narrative (not to mention a blindly inferior product) they want to push.

Last edited:

peter11435

Yet they were more than happy to dicusss DCA’s issues… not late 90s-2000s EPCOT’s of that same era however.. odd right?
DCA’s issues were far greater and far and away a bigger problem. More importantly they could positively spin DCA’s issues because they had already worked to improve the park and right the wrongs. So they could treat it as a success story. At the point the Imagineering story was being produced (production began in 2013) the Epcot makeover had not yet begun even within the halls of WDI. Obviously the project geared up while it was in production but it was still in the early stages. They weren’t going to publicly attack one of their largest domestic parks without being able to talk about how great it is now.

DisneyHead123

Yes, that’s exactly my point. It was cute at the time , and still is now for the classic aspect, but, the new Disney style is just a Cartoon Network ripoff.
I don’t know if I’d call it a rip-off or just in keeping with the style of the times. Kids probably want to watch what seems up to date and cool to them (I notice that the most mentioned Disney show, among school aged kids that I know, is Big City Greens, which are the most bean mouthed of bean mouthed characters.)

Maybe it’s a little different in that in the past Disney was mostly a trendsetter and now they are sometimes a trend follower, but kid’s entertainment has branched out so much with YouTube, games like Roblox, and The Cartoon Network, that some crossover is probably inevitable these days. (Phineas and Ferb, for example, seems remarkably similar to Dexter’s Lab.)

DKampy

If I may be so bold, I’d like to suggest a cool urban hiking adventure (if your group is into this sort of thing) that takes place under the Hollywood sign:

Dm me if you would like more info…
That is an idea…We do like cool interesting hikes… we not going into planning mode for that trip till next fall however as we are not going till October of 2024… we are currently planning for a Hawaii trip in June

Magic Crush Drop

is they tell us the work I like never existed and intentionally don’t make it available to view or purchase.
Disney is a corporation, not a museum. It's up to them if they want to sell the old cartoons.
but the revisionist history of modern Mickey is Bull.
I just want to remind everyone that Disney has done revisions on their own history (ie the idea for Disneyland, Walt's attitude), so this is nothing new.
Btw, if you don’t believe inner corporate politics/egos come at the effect of the end product.. boy, have I got news for you.
I can believe it if there's no logical conclusion. I feel they cut it because they wanted to create a rise then fall then rise again narrative, so it didn't fit in. Or it was messing with the pacing of the film and how long the filmmakers want the film to be. We can argue in another thread on whether or not documentaries need to be completely truthful on the subjects they decide to cover. :)

Brer Panther

My problem is in the way they treat the characters as gross, needlessly edgy mockeries of themselves rather than anything sincere & with real personality & emotion.
There seems to be this theory floating around that having an iconic cartoon character act like a deranged, out of character lunatic = instant laughs. It does not. It's just off-putting.

See also Jellystone!, which is basically the same thing but with Hanna-Barbera characters. These productions don't care about keeping the characters... y'know, the characters, but they require you to be familiar with the characters to find the jokes funny (ha ha, the usually intelligent and soft-spoken Boo-Boo just said "I'm being sued for malpractice!" with a dopey smile on his face. Goofy looks like a crack-addicted hobo and is picking his nose, nyuck nyuck nyuck, ain't that unexpected?).

Skywise

What's cheap about it?
Literally - fewer frames, less movement, simplified drawings and details to cut down production costs - that is to say... CHEAP ANIMATION.

It's done on purpose because Disney et al don't want to spend the high production costs on the labor necessary to do GOOD animation. It's ironic because even Disney used to tout that their TV animation divisions were still better than others that would cut corners and even went so far as to make an animated cartoon about it.

That doesn't necessarily mean the animation is "bad" per se as it can work in certain contexts/styles (Steven Universe and Wander over Yonder for example) But would you rather see Fantasia as it was ANIMATED ORIGINALLY or in "Cal-Arts" style?

Nearly 100 years old Steamboat Willie is better animated, has a better story and better gags than the modern era Mickey Mouse cartoons - and that's my problem with it. Disney has tons better talent and resources to do animation right and on the cheap, especially with their #1 star and they don't.

MaximumEd

Can we please get back on topic? You can discuss about the mickey mouse shorts on some other thread.
Maybe off topic, but it speaks to a larger problem that shows in everything Disney does these days. Profit used to be the result of going above and beyond in every part of the Walt Disney company. Now, it’s not the result…..it’s the entire focus. And it shows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom