News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Casper Gutman

Wrong.

Cable customers are losing customers.

The number of people subscribing to streamers keeps growing.

In the last quarter Disney's streamers gained 14 million subs. Netflix gained 2 million. Paramount, +3 million. Peacock, +3 million. WBD, +3 million.
Streaming is here to stay, but the model will be reconsidered. And part of that reconsideration will be that cinemas are here to stay, too.

Skywise

Don’t think cook has the shell to play that game…

Though I think Apple is Disneys most likely future merger partner.

I think this was all Iger. It looked like chapek “won” in 2021…and he wouldn’t take it.
Agreed - Disney would make great AppleTV content... A sad state of affrairs but... (and, I believe, Iger explored that at one point with Steve Jobs!)

Skywise

Streaming is here to stay, but the model will be reconsidered. And part of that reconsideration will be that cinemas are here to stay, too.
At one point I would've thought that Streaming would replace movies... but now I think it's only going to replace TV.. if THAT. (and by that I mean we'll own our own digital libraries of movies and stream our own, owned, content as prices increase then go to the movies along with 1 or 2 streaming services... ala cable)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hell…streaming is morphing into cable

They’re rebundling and want to sell ads…which won’t fly.

Steaming is definitely here to stay…but it won’t yield the profits the one Robert Iger has promised. That’s the kicker

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
What legacy does Iger have, though? Before he left, he put the company deeply in debt by buying 20th Century Fox, the moron. He already had Star Wars (which he ruined), so why buy Fox? For what IP? Shirley Temple? His shopping sprees made "Disney" look like an evil greedy monopoly. He started the process that made Disney lose its warmth, charm, and wholesome family image. He and his mini-me Chapek have BOTH done a lot of damage. Forgive me for not celebrating Iger's return. We lost the pot, but now we're stuck with the kettle.
That’s why he needs to sell 20th Century Fox (Studios) because Disney is in a debt crisis right now!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Eh, their status is unknown. When the Marvel Netflix series first came out, they WERE promoted as being part of the MCU.

Disney had no part in the development or production of the Netflix series. Thus, they were not MCU. Now, Disney is all about playing to the fanbase(s) and has added a few of those characters into MCU shows, but it’s still unclear whether these are actually those same characters or merely multiversal versions of those characters and oh, dear, why am I even trying to explain this?

It was the intention of Marvel TV to connect Netflix Marvel to the MCU. The tv division of Marvel certainly tried to make it happen and would continually update their world to match the MCU.

But since movies and tv were separated departments, neither could definitively say they definitely were or were not part of the MCU. Attempts to do crossovers generally failed (with the exception of appearances of Fury and Sif) with the excuse that movies and tv were on different production schedules.

With the cancellation of Netlix Marvel shows and the consolidation of all things Marvel under Feige (except for Sony Marvel Spider-Man and friends), then it was up to Feige to say if Netflix Marvel was in the MCU or not. And he remained silent on that for a long time.

Until.. the multiverse was introduce into the MCU. And then, Feige can have it both ways: The Netflix Marvel is a separate universe from the main MCU making it canon multiversally, but not canon to the main MCU.

It's been now establish that the Daredevil and Kingpin of the MCU (in Hawkeye, No Way Home, and She-Hulk) are not of the same universe as their Netflix Marvel counterparts.

Casper Gutman

Disney had no part in the development or production of the Netflix series. Thus, they were not MCU. Now, Disney is all about playing to the fanbase(s) and has added a few of those characters into MCU shows, but it’s still unclear whether these are actually those same characters or merely multiversal versions of those characters and oh, dear, why am I even trying to explain this?
The MCU has nothing to do with production practices, its a canonical storyworld (and I'm not sure you're correct that Marvel was completely uninvolved with the production of those shows). The Netflix shows took place in the same fictional universal as the Avengers (and multiversal variants are still part of the MCU, because all of the multiverse is part of the MCU!)

Skywise

Hell…streaming is morphing into cable

They’re rebundling and want to sell ads…which won’t fly.

Steaming is definitely here to stay…but it won’t yield the profits the one Robert Iger has promised. That’s the kicker
the FCC is well on its way to 'spinning down' broadcast TV. But unless you've got new content on streaming I think more and more people are going to own their own personal collection of digital movies that can be played on demand (hough not through a streaming service). I'm not sure how it's going to break down at the moment but it seems to be a difference of 'live' content (like you find on youtube/twitch) vs anything scripted or recordings of live content - and most people only want to purchase the copies of the scripted content.

MrPromey

I mean to be fair, Strange Worlds follows a formula that is notably unmarketable. Remember treasure planet? Or meet the robinsons? For some reason sci fi disney doesn't do well, no matter who it stars. I am sure that SW will get a good cult following though like those movies do if it doesn't do well in theaters.

Robinson's was a troubled production.

The Pixar acquisition happened near the end of it and Lasseter stepped in with his new company role to try helping punch it up but I think they knew that one was a bit of a lost cause.

Watching objectively, you can see how all over the place it really was.*

Two things I remember most vividly about my theater viewing of that one was the new Walt Disney Pictures intro and the way they kept hitting us over the head with the Walt line "... keep moving forward".

That last part, especially how it was used in the movie, felt like a message to the audience not to judge the future on the movie they had just seen, by that point, made by a different organization from the past.

*I'll admit I liked the Tom Selleck meta joke, though.

_

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

Selling the content you need to maintain a streaming monopoly is a fireable offence in this day and age...
The (really confusing) problem is that Disney isn't using that content. The Fox catalog should be on Hulu - it isn't. Honestly, if you could peel off the Marvel rights and perhaps one or two other IPs - maybe Planet of the Apes - and sell the rest of Fox, it might make sense. IPs like Alien, Die Hard, and Predator would have a lot more value for non-Disney studios.

That isn't going to happen, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom