News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'll never understand the anger at the underlings whether it's D'Amaro or McCarthy (or even Feige for some strange reason).

What exactly did McCarthy do that deserves her being fired?

What did D'Amaro ever do -- that wasn't determined by his boss -- that deserved him being fired? You wanted him to stand up to Chapek and tell him he refuses to enact Genie+? He'd be immediately fired.

Tell me what they did, which wasn't foisted upon them, that deserves being fired.

Vegas Disney Fan

Yeah, this. I have looked around, and a lot of supposed (I always say supposed because you can never know with internet comments) CMs really hated Chapek. There was a lot more bad with his management that the public is aware on the surface.

I was talking to a CM friend earlier who said she was dancing around her house after she heard the news.

That probably had more to do with her being a massive Disney fan than being a CM though, which I think is probably true of most CMs, they love the parks as much as we do and hate seeing the downward spiral just as much as we do.

Casper Gutman

Oh, I’m not arguing that some movies have done well in post-pandemic theatrical releases. But bigger picture, movie theaters aren’t trending up. And ol‘ Iger might not know what to do about it, but at lease he isn’t in denial about the general direction of the business.
Wall Street and Hollywood bet everything on cinemas dying. They didn't, and have confounded expectations by being incredibly resilient in the post-pandemic environment. Iger is absolutely in denial - he's clinging to the previous groupthink-produced notion of a permanent, total shift away from movie theaters and towards streaming despite mounting evidence that that didn't happen. There's money at the cinema but the studios (outside of Paramount and, to a lesser extent, Universal) aren't grabbing it, instead continuing to dump feature films onto streaming services that are losing billions.

For feature films, streaming is a new post-cinema distribution model. Its essentially a replacement for DVDs. Its a big deal, but the kind of change Hollywood has experienced periodically in the past, not the unprecedented revolution Wall Street and Hollywood convinced themselves was happening, burning billions in the process.

Skywise

Come on, you can see a little chance for a new and improved Iger! Especially if he’s got to play the anti-Chapek and his political aspirations are over, right?
No, really, I don't. He'll do enough to save his own bacon but recapturing the company requires a top to bottom think that this weatherman is NOT capable of handling (though i'll be impressed if he does)

TwilightZone

I'll never understand the anger at the underlings whether it's D'Amaro or McCarthy (or even Feige for some strange reason).

What did D'Amaro ever do -- that wasn't determined by his boss -- that deserved him being fired? You wanted him to stand up to Chapek and tell him he refuses to enact Genie+? He'd be immediately fired.

Tell me what they did, which wasn't foisted upon them, that deserves being fired.
They made *insert thing I don't like*! 😡

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

McCarthy says as many stupid things at chapek

(Ding dong, the is dead!)

And underlings get hate from fans because we have been trained that the ceo is untouchable

If they can out think a poodle

_caleb

No not in the Universe that's there now. What I appreciated about those series is how dark and adult oriented they were.
Yes, the Defenders series (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Punisher) were pretty good (well, except for Iron Fist), but those were not MCU. The Marvel Cinematic Universe refers to Disney-developed films and shows that all take place within the same continuity.

And, as @Casper Gutman mentioned above, they are slowly (and selectively) inducting versions of those characters (Charlie ’s Daredevil) into the MCU.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wow... a whole 2 movies per year (and not good ones at that)... You don't DO massive movies on a streaming service that measures in WEEKS, let alone MONTHS before the attention span dissipates.
Well, first of all, you just ignored how wrong you were about the pace of what the animation studios did. You thought they got slower. They didn't. You were wrong.

And you have no idea how long it takes to create a feature animation at the level of Pixar or DAS. It can't be just sped up magically.

Disney had added new animation studios to create more content because good content can't be produced at the rate you're demanding.

Skywise

Wall Street and Hollywood bet everything on cinemas dying. They didn't, and have confounded expectations by being incredibly resilient in the post-pandemic environment. Iger is absolutely in denial - he's clinging to the previous groupthink-produced notion of a permanent, total shift away from movie theaters and towards streaming despite mounting evidence that that didn't happen. There's money at the cinema but the studios (outside of Paramount and, to a lesser extent, Universal) aren't grabbing it, instead continuing to dump feature films onto streaming services that are losing billions.

For feature films, streaming is a new post-cinema distribution model. Its essentially a replacement for DVDs. Its a big deal, but the kind of change Hollywood has experienced periodically in the past, not the unprecedented revolution Wall Street and Hollywood convinced themselves was happening, burning billions in the process.
Streaming services are already dead. People only use them because A> they were forced to because of the pandemic and b> they needed something to replace cable. Roku is floundering and that's the canary in the coalmine.

You're seeing a backlash of people WANTING to socialize and not be stuck in their homes anymore. Streaming is TV and Movies are not TV. Movies are an EXPERIENCE in a public auditorium and, while you have a somewhat captive audience with TV/Cable/Streaming - the bit money is still in Movies.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
The parks are a numbers problem. And that is iger’s fault.

They added almost zero capacity during the last 20 years and the attendance went up 25%

It’s not a price issue - as all the self appointed millennial accountants spout here - you’re not selling Peter Pan for $500 to kill the crowd.

They will never thread that needle because revenues will fall.

They need a real building program…which when Iger Sorta got towards the end when he pooched it
Oh, I don't disagree that the parks have a capacity problem; that's public enemy number one, but the immediate issues, such as the ones I mentioned and how Chapek was going to address them, are why he's an awful leader.

Iger left money on the table, but Chapek was actively downing the company. Though you're right in pointing out that it's definitely not for most of the reasons people are complaining about here, but I think I addressed some of them (I've since edited to and added to my post).

Skywise

Well, first of all, you just ignored how wrong you were about the pace of what the animation studios did. You thought they got slower. They didn't. You were wrong.

And you have no idea how long it takes to create a feature animation at the level of Pixar or DAS. It can't be just sped up magically.

Disney had added new animation studios to create more content because good content can't be produced at the rate you're demanding.
No, I ignored NOTHING - you're trying to equate a 2x doubling when you had 2 YEARS of eyeballs wanting 104 WEEKS of new content that didn't materialize and most of it wasn't that good.

And, yes, I'm well aware of how long it takes to create content. That they concentrated on mega-movies rather than cheaper monthly/series content was their failing over the pandemic.

But you don't understand THAT either.

MOVIES AREN'T STREAMING

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You have a point

Did Wall Street really call BS on his baby, D+???

It was hinted…but just rumors.

Iger may be in a “put up or shut up” seat right now…it makes you consider he’s in trouble too?

The world economy isn’t really in the “mood” for promises and price increases now…

MrPromey

For $15 a month, I bought WDWMagic's Protection from /Ignore. You can't squelch me!!!

So THAT's why I still see your posts!
download

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh, I don't disagree that the parks have a capacity problem; that's public enemy number one, but the immediate issues, such as the ones I mentioned and how Chapek was going to address them, are why he's an awful leader.

Iger left money on the table, but Chapek was actively downing the company. Though you're right in pointing out that it's definitely not for most of the reasons people are complaining about here, but I think I addressed some of them (I've since edited to and added to my post).
You know me and I know you…

We usually aren’t pulling different directions 👍🏻

Casper Gutman

I love you guys so much and you’re really nice but the Netflix Marvel series were not MCU.
They were. The Invasion of New York from Avengers had taken place and was referenced, but only euphemistically, because these shows were totally serious. The widespread rebuilding it required is central to the conflict in Daredevil. Stan Lee showed up in each Netflix show - as a still image somewhere in the background. Both 's Daredevil and D'Onofrio's Kingpin are running around the modern films and series, the former in No Way Home and She-Hulk and the latter in Hawkeye.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom