Bob Iger in HS

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
@InsideTheMagic: "Time to head out to Disney's Hollywood Studios. I expect fireworks to be the most exciting thing tonight. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong."

Leave Ricky alone. He tried to quell everyone's excitement about the announcement while still doing his job by going to DHS just in case. He's a Disney fan, just like the rest of us and he wants to see Disney make their next big move, just like the rest of us.
Seriously? Did you REALLY just say that?

HA HA:

RICKY_zps9718e11d.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
@InsideTheMagic: "Time to head out to Disney's Hollywood Studios. I expect fireworks to be the most exciting thing tonight. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong."

Leave Ricky alone. He tried to quell everyone's excitement about the announcement while still doing his job by going to DHS just in case. He's a Disney fan, just like the rest of us and he wants to see Disney make their next big move, just like the rest of us.

I like Ricky's podcast and I don't think he is totally to blame for the excitement last night, but he definitely contributed more to it then his attempts to quell it...

Ricky Brigante, Host@InsideTheMagic 18h
I hear Bob Iger is at Disney’s Hollywood Studios… maybe some truth to the rumor of a Star Wars related announcement tonight…?

Ricky Brigante, Host@InsideTheMagic 18h
@Mike_Gaspar: It has been confirm by 2 of my guest Relations manager friends that Bob Iger is here for a Announcement befor the fireworks”

Ricky Brigante, Host@InsideTheMagic 17h
@CMCansler: I have a CM friend who tells me Iger will be speaking at 9:45!”

Ricky Brigante, Host@InsideTheMagic 16h
Seems possible that tonight's Star Wars "announcement" could just be movie related. Maybe the title of Ep VII? Or specific release date?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
WWOHP and Carsland demonstrated to Burbank executives that it is possible for a theme park to experience explosive growth. However, the right IP has to be selected and the implementation has to be correct. Disney is not a ready, shoot, aim place. There're likely to go through multiple iterations before settling on an idea and, even after that, the idea will evolve.

There is a desire in Burbank to "fix" WDW. Perhaps not as we would like it fixed but fix it financially. Right now, it's the smaller DLR that's driving domestic park growth. Burbank wants to replicate that growth at WDW and is realizing NFL and MM+ might not do it.

WDW is one of the most visited vacation destinations in the world, so the question is, is it even possible for it see explosive growth? Is there a huge pool of people who would be inclined to go to WDW but aren't currently going. Uni had plenty of "room" grow attendance because there were millions of people coming to Orlando every year but not going to their park.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
WDW is one of the most visited vacation destinations in the world, so the question is, is it even possible for it see explosive growth? Is there a huge pool of people who would be inclined to go to WDW but aren't currently going. Uni had plenty of "room" grow attendance because there were millions of people coming to Orlando every year but not going to their park.

That's the beauty of Star Wars. Disney is saturated with kid centered stuff. There isn't a kid around who doesn't want to go to WDW. Star Wars also attracts adults without kids who may not care about a Little Mermaid ride or Tangled toilets but would give anything to walk through a life sized millennium falcon, ride a speeder bike or have a drink at Mos Eisley Spaceport cantina. These are the new crowds you could attract. Don't get me wrong, kids love Star Wars too but it has a broad, mass appeal much greater than Cars, anything Pixar or even Harry Potter.

ParentsOf4

WDW is not the #1 theme park in the world, it's MK. DL is #2 yet Burbank still needed to fix DLR as a whole.

DAK and DHS suffer from similar problems as DCA once did. MK annual attendance is 70% greater than DAK and DHS. That's really lopsided. Physically, DHS and DAK occupy more land than MK yet most guests treat DAK and DHS like half-day parks. If it wasn't for MK drawing vacationers to WDW, annual attendance at DAK and DHS would stink.

Yes, DAK and DHS can be "fixed" and can drive growth at WDW as a whole.

ParentsOf4

That's the beauty of Star Wars. Disney is saturated with kid centered stuff. There isn't a kid around who doesn't want to go to WDW. Star Wars also attracts adults without kids who may not care about a Little Mermaid ride or Tangled toilets but would give anything to walk through a life sized millennium falcon, ride a speeder bike or have a drink at Mos Eisley Spaceport cantina. These are the new crowds you could attract. Don't get me wrong, kids love Star Wars too but it has a broad, mass appeal much greater than Cars, anything Pixar or even Harry Potter.
It amazes me that Star Wars toys still sell extremely well to a generation that has never seen a Star War movie in the theater.

Pixiedustmaker

The surprise part is that it could have reached an announcement stage without any real details leaking. Especially when we know that Cars has been/was in active development for DHS.

If they go Star Wars, it will have been a fairly recent decision. I don't know of anyone at WDI working on Star Wars for DHS. Hence why I said it would likely be a lift from the Paris plans.

The whole Carsland in DHS thing was pretty much a fan rumor. Fans were saying that Carsland was close to getting the green light, that bulldozers were be seen within months, then it was shelved, all in a matter of months. Folks ignored the fact that DHS still pulls in about 10 million guests a year, and that if the wanted to increase the number more, like to 13 million, that they'd go with the official expansion plans for adding land across World Drive to the park, or perhaps building into the parking lot.

WDWDad13

More in Uni tho attracts Tweens and teens and young adults more than Disney because of more thrill rides (that's debatable I know tho) but if Disney were to build some Star Wars land, Carsland, marvel land (doubtful there), and avatar land (if it happens) we could see more growth in that age group for sure

For example. I know ALOT of school groups that prefer to go to Uni over Disney for that reason

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The whole Carsland in DHS thing was pretty much a fan rumor. Fans were saying that Carsland was close to getting the green light, that bulldozers were be seen within months, then it was shelved, all in a matter of months. Folks ignored the fact that DHS still pulls in about 10 million guests a year, and that if the wanted to increase the number more, like to 13 million, that they'd go with the official expansion plans for adding land across World Drive to the park, or perhaps building into the parking lot.

According to the reliable insiders around here Carsland is far more then a fan rumor.

Goofyernmost

I like this line of thinking. We can call Iger and crew a lot of things, but they aren't stupid when it comes to making money from a sure thing. As far as a guaranteed return, Star Wars at DHS is probably the next closest thing to DVC.

As far as the 6 years for Avatar at AK goes, it's apples and oranges. AK had large expansion plots and they can very, very slowly start clearing ground and build without impacting the rest of the park. DHS has no realistic expansion areas unless they build out into the parking lots. The lots need to be expanded if you plan to bring in more guests so they need more parking, not less. Most likely they would be closing some or all of the following: Backlot tour, LMA and Indy stunt show. If they do this they are taking away huge people eating shows and attractions that are suitable for all ages. Many consider DHS a half day park already. Take away 2 or 3 attractions for 6 years and the place will be hurting. It's my pixie dust laced, overly optimistic opinion that whatever they build at DHS (Carsland, MI coaster or Star Wars) it will be built in half that time and open before Avatarland. Possibly as early as end of 2016.
I would be really surprised if the Indy Stunt show were to close. I have been to that dozens of times and never have I seen it without a full house. I usually go off season, so if it were to be light, it seems like that is when it would be. LMA...I can take or leave. The backlot tour died a long time ago...so it's more of a matter of just putting up a gravestone. The bigger the attraction that they put in there, the more attractions they need to balance out the park, guest wise! They have already announced that they were going to change the access road, so that will free up a pretty good sized piece of land just by moving that. I doubt that DHS ever really has a completely full parking lot, so that will probably do OK even with an expected increase in visitors.

Calvin Coolidge

How exactly does one expand a theme park across seven lanes of highway?

PhotoDave219

No. He's part of the credentialed media that covers Disney, getting into press events and the like.

He was wrong. He passed on unverified information and it blew up in his face because it was WRONG. Even if he had bad sources, they were still WRONG.

You don't get to be press and then turn around and say "oh he's just a fan like the rest of us" because thats not how the press behaves. We're not fans. We're not cheerleaders. We do our job right by not speculating and passing on verified facts and not feeding or causing the hysteria that he did.

novawildcat18

Seriously? Did you REALLY just say that?

HA HA:

RICKY_zps9718e11d.jpg

Didn't mean it like that, relax (although that picture did make me laugh).
No. He's part of the credentialed media that covers Disney, getting into press events and the like.

He was wrong. He passed on unverified information and it blew up in his face because it was WRONG. Even if he had bad sources, they were still WRONG.

You don't get to be press and then turn around and say "oh he's just a fan like the rest of us" because thats not how the press behaves. We're not fans. We're not cheerleaders. We do our job right by not speculating and passing on verified facts and not feeding or causing the hysteria that he did.

Ok, fair enough. I guess I'm not too bothered by it since I kind of figured nothing special would have happened, even if Iger was actually on property.

openendedsky

I think incidents like this are why I'm inclined to take almost every rumor with a grain of salt anyways.

doctornick

How exactly does one expand a theme park across seven lanes of highway?

Yeah, the more likely expansion of park areas IMHO for DHS is to redirect the main access road/tollgate so that it comes off of Victory Way instead of World Drive. Then they can use the area of the current access road to add to the park. Just using the physical land of the road (i.e. not using any current undeveloped wetlands), you'd have room for some attractions next to/behind LMA, the Streets of America and Star Tours. Or you could relocate backstage stuff to there and use the current backstage areas for new guest use.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Every time I see somebody mention the "possibility of expanding across world drive" I just kind of laugh to myself and then move along.

It's no an unreasonable idea. According to the RCID Comprehensive Plan, the area west of DHS is one of the prime locations for resort expansion...

"During the next 10 years, the District’s development will be directed to those areas identified as suitable in the above analysis. The largest areas of suitable land are located west of Animal Kingdom, between World Drive
and I-4 between Osceola Parkway and US 192, around Lake Mable, north of the Magnolia Golf Course, east of the Magic Kingdom parking lot, and west of Disney’s Hollywood Studios."

For DHS they could move parking and back stage buildings across the street and provide access via tunnel or bridge, this would free up room around the park for expansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom