Bob Iger in HS

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
If
They understand the value of the Star Wars IP and know, under the right conditions, it could be the most exciting (and profitable;)) thing to happen at the WDW theme parks in decades.

Prove it.

Well, the first half of ParentsOf4's statement is certainly correct. They know the value of the ip and are thus proceeding full steam ahead with 3 more movie installments. The second half I'm not sure about...there is some evidence that they think there isn't need to do anything really big at WDW for the time being. How this plays out will be interesting....Maybe they've seem some recent attendance numbers that opened eyes, or maybe Iger did think about DHS and thought it could really use a shot in the arm...I'd be surprised if they were going to announce something this big and not do it at D23 though...If Iger is actually there he might just be touring and trying to decide what to do next at WDW. In and of itself, that would be a HUGE upgrade to his oversight of the Florida resort to this point in his tenure.

Disneyhead'71

Well, the first half of ParentsOf4's statement is certainly correct. They know the value of the ip and are thus proceeding full steam ahead with 3 more movie installments. The second half I'm not sure about...there is some evidence that they think there isn't need to do anything really big at WDW for the time being. How this plays out will be interesting....Maybe they've seem some recent attendance numbers that opened eyes, or maybe Iger did think about DHS and thought it could really use a shot in the arm...I'd be surprised if they were going to announce something this big and not do it at D23 though...If Iger is actually there he might just be touring and trying to decide what to do next at WDW. In and of itself, that would be a HUGE upgrade to his oversight of the Florida resort to this point in his tenure.

Obviously, Potter kicked Mickey upside the head so hard that his simply punch drunk. And the boys up at UOR are preparing a full on MMA style beat down. By 2014, both Universal parks will surpass DHS AND DAK in attendance.

Goofyernmost

I don't know if it's been mention yet so excuse me if it has but there is a press event set up this week for Bob Iger at Studios. We've all been warned and told, I don't know what day next week but one of them. So maybe it will be good news.
Be still my heart.:rolleyes: I may not sleep this week in anticipation of wonderful things to come. Is it Car's, is it Avatar, is it Star Wars? How shall I function with this promise on the horizon.:) That's it...Horizon is being redone!:eek: Also, in the form of an apology for screwing up WDW over the years, they will put Imagination Pavilion back to it's original glory.o_O Mildred...Where's my heart medicine. I can't take the excitement. Someone help me please. :p

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Be still my heart.:rolleyes: I may not sleep this week in anticipation of wonderful things to come. Is it Car's, is it Avatar, is it Star Wars? How shall I function with this promise on the horizon.:) That's it...Horizon in being redone!:eek: Also, in the form of an apology for screwing up WDW over the years, they will put Imagination Pavilion back to it's original glory.o_O Mildred...Where's my heart medicine. I can't take the excitement. Someone help me please. :p

It is going to be EPCOT II, "We promise not to screw it up this time"...(they will market it like a movie sequel)....

Captain Chaos

I don't know if it's been mention yet so excuse me if it has but there is a press event set up this week for Bob Iger at Studios. We've all been warned and told, I don't know what day next week but one of them. So maybe it will be good news.
Stop trying to get people to follow you and likes... it won't work a second time... Wait, these are WDW fans we are talking about... By Monday, you will be the talk of the Disney fan community, a celebrity!

ParentsOf4

Obviously, Potter kicked Mickey upside the head so hard that his simply punch drunk. And the boys up at UOR are preparing a full on MMA style beat down. By 2014, both Universal parks will surpass DHS AND DAK in attendance.
WWOHP and Carsland demonstrated to Burbank executives that it is possible for a theme park to experience explosive growth. However, the right IP has to be selected and the implementation has to be correct. Disney is not a ready, shoot, aim place. There're likely to go through multiple iterations before settling on an idea and, even after that, the idea will evolve.

There is a desire in Burbank to "fix" WDW. Perhaps not as we would like it fixed but fix it financially. Right now, it's the smaller DLR that's driving domestic park growth. Burbank wants to replicate that growth at WDW and is realizing NFL and MM+ might not do it.

novawildcat18

@InsideTheMagic: "Time to head out to Disney's Hollywood Studios. I expect fireworks to be the most exciting thing tonight. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong."

Leave Ricky alone. He tried to quell everyone's excitement about the announcement while still doing his job by going to DHS just in case. He's a Disney fan, just like the rest of us and he wants to see Disney make their next big move, just like the rest of us.

Did Knee

Be still my heart.:rolleyes: I may not sleep this week in anticipation of wonderful things to come. Is it Car's, is it Avatar, is it Star Wars? How shall I function with this promise on the horizon.:) That's it...Horizon in being redone!:eek: Also, in the form of an apology for screwing up WDW over the years, they will put Imagination Pavilion back to it's original glory.o_O Mildred...Where's my heart medicine. I can't take the excitement. Someone help me please. :p
No..you got it all wrong. They are re-opening the Adventurer's club. I was wearing my tin foil hat and received that news via telepathy.......:p

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If Iger was at DHS yesterday then, come on everybody, a CEO of a mega corporation doesn't fly across the United States just to attend the "May the Fourth Be With You" celebration. Iger is no Star Wars geek. Heck, he's rarely seen at WDW. If he was there, then it was for a reason.

So, no announcement last night. It's not surprising. The cautious Iger doesn't normally make business decisions that quickly. It's looking like it's going to be 6 years between Avatarland announcement and opening. That's Iger. However, If he was there, I interpret it as good news (eventually) for WDW fans.

At the November earnings call, Iger said:

When asked about Star Wars at the February earnings call, Iger said:

Iger's been talking about an expanded Star Wars presence at the theme parks for a while. Initial plans were to expand at some non-U.S. theme parks but Star War land at WDW is at least being considered. Heck, Disney polled us about it. Yes, they poll about all sorts of things but Burbank is not clueless. They understand the value of the Star Wars IP and know, under the right conditions, it could be the most exciting (and profitable;)) thing to happen at the WDW theme parks in decades.

Does anyone know for certain that Iger was at DHS yesterday? Did anyone physically see him?

I like this line of thinking. We can call Iger and crew a lot of things, but they aren't stupid when it comes to making money from a sure thing. As far as a guaranteed return, Star Wars at DHS is probably the next closest thing to DVC.

As far as the 6 years for Avatar at AK goes, it's apples and oranges. AK had large expansion plots and they can very, very slowly start clearing ground and build without impacting the rest of the park. DHS has no realistic expansion areas unless they build out into the parking lots. The lots need to be expanded if you plan to bring in more guests so they need more parking, not less. Most likely they would be closing some or all of the following: Backlot tour, LMA and Indy stunt show. If they do this they are taking away huge people eating shows and attractions that are suitable for all ages. Many consider DHS a half day park already. Take away 2 or 3 attractions for 6 years and the place will be hurting. It's my pixie dust laced, overly optimistic opinion that whatever they build at DHS (Carsland, MI coaster or Star Wars) it will be built in half that time and open before Avatarland. Possibly as early as end of 2016.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom