Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

Bocabear

If you wanted to turn World Showcase into Magic Kingdom:Countries Edition...
Absolutely not, but I think the World Showcase could use it's promised attractions... Ratatouille has an attraction at the WDS in France... it would seem like an easy to digest attraction addition for the France pavilion... In general though I do not want the World Showcase to become MK 2.0...So I agree with you there for sure...

Goofyernmost

When did a singing show become an attraction? I thought that was entertainment. It can stay if it wants, I don't mind it being a people eater if that is what it actually does, especially when DHS is rebuilt/revamped/made-over and there are better attractions to do.
Since in forever!
Shows are classified as an "attraction".... helps go towards the quantification of what constitutes a full day.

Since you're going to ask.... 8-9 shows/attractions/experiences is how a full day is quantified.

Getting OT here.... I used to be able to do 8-9 in an evening. Jungle, Pirates, Mansion, Wishes, Night parade, something in Fantasyland with no line, Buzz, TTA.
If you include queue time in those "attractions" plus lunch, plus sitting there starring out blankly due to heat exhaustion, it really can be a full day park. Now to those of us that have already pre-determined what we want to see and only go to those, then the half day applies. We do keep forgetting that we are not the only ones that go there.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Absolutely not, but I think the World Showcase could use it's promised attractions...

I agree - but I still feel a huge delta between even a roller coaster through Japan.. and a 'pretend you are a rat in the movie ratatouille'

Just because its set in paris doesn't make it a fit for World Showcase. Fitting is more than just 'setting' - something Disney apparently doesn't care about anymore (ahem.. Frozen).

In general though I do not want the World Showcase to become MK 2.0...So I agree with you there for sure...

:)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Which is probably why the BOD is deciding on how much to spend on DHS not whether to spend anything. Some people like to paint these people as morons, but they can see through the uptick from a temporary event like Frozen summer. When Avatar opens and pushes more people to DAK the numbers at DHS will look even worse. If I know these things as a casual fan you can bet that the execs running the company know it too.

They are not morons but the factor of most interest is GROSS MARGIN so even if attendance was down slightly after the closure of 5 attractions if the GROSS MARGIN went up for the park in the aggregate then the decision to close the attractions was a good one and had 'no material effect' on the park's BUSINESS operations, The BoD is not really interested in 'guest experience' as long as they keep spending money.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So I'm staring at the numbers.... probably a bad thing to do.

And I'm looking at the 6+/5- split from 2013 compared to 2014 for the studios. The very simple split of the number of days with an Above average crowd vs the number of days with an Average and below crowd. (Its 224/141 vs 232/133 for anyone who is curious).... and despite having Frozen, 2014 just wasn't as busy as 2013.... or better put, the number of busy days in 2014 weren't as many as those in 2013. Its only 8 days. There were more Average days than anything in 2014 for the studios and fewer off-peak.... so growth, I guess.

And that 'growth' is all the BoD needs to validate their decision to close attractions and NOT replace them with anything other than temporary shows.

doctornick

How about instead of shoving Disney characters everywhere into World Showcase, you approach toonification from another angle and get cartoons from other countries in there?

Sure, that would be cool. something like Tintin would be great (I realize that's Belgian, so not that specifically, but in the vein).

PhotoDave219

Absolutely not, but I think the World Showcase could use it's promised attractions... Ratatouille has an attraction at the WDS in France... it would seem like an easy to digest attraction addition for the France pavilion... In general though I do not want the World Showcase to become MK 2.0...So I agree with you there for sure...

I haven't heard any of the Epcot details. People are hinting that its not much.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Looking at the Macro, DHS is still lagging behind the other parks in every category I can measure.

And its not close.

Agree - but It's the numbers we can't see which make the difference, ie what's the gross margin at MK vs DHS if DHS has a better gross margin than MK then I think we will see more attraction closures and 'Olaf on a Stick' type shows.

PhotoDave219

Agree - but It's the numbers we can't see which make the difference, ie what's the gross margin at MK vs DHS if DHS has a better gross margin than MK then I think we will see more attraction closures and 'Olaf on a Stick' type shows.

My friend..... can you actually say that with a straight face?

I can tell you without a doubt that MK will pull in a higher gross margin than DHS, likely double or triple the margin. MK brings in double the attendance, has many, many more rides, attractions and eateries.

When I say Frozen saved the Studios, it only replaced the attendance/revenue that went elsewhere. Just plugged a leak. Didn't grow any and certainly didn't grow any in terms of the result as a whole. Attendance distribution is similar to 2013, so while everyone can say that Studios is up huge, its what they're up huge over. Simply comparable to 2013. And 2013 was bad compared to all the other parks of that year.

hopemax

Just got home after 9 days in FL. Things got a little crazy, didn't it? With all of this money flying around, my first thoughts were, who is going to design everything? SW both coasts, Pixar, TDL stuff, Marvel... I've been out of the loop, I don't even remember who is left at Imagineering, and who has responsibilities where, other than Joe and AK, obviously. So would it be okay to speculate about who might get what?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom