Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They wouldn't be shutting down half the Studios if this was the case. BTW, I'd guess 1 Billion is about what DAK 2.0 is costing. And Disney dollars go a lot further in the swamp than in Anaheim. But I am sure DL is getting something new and quaint.

Why not shut down half the studios according to @PhotoDave219's numbers the shutdown of major the attractions has not affected attendance much if at all so the savings from closing the attractions went straight to the bottom line.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
While 2015 is better than 2014 for the Studios, attendance is only in line with 2013, but with peak days up.

So from a business point of view the closures of the attractions did not have have a material effect on attendance, So @WDW1974 is probably right on the money with more attraction closures. One wonders if WDW is going to hit a gradual inflection point or a asymptotic one due to the confluence of Crowding, Closures (which exacerbate crowding) and price increases.

PhotoDave219

So from a business point of view the closures of the attractions did not have have a material effect on attendance, So @WDW1974 is probably right on the money with more attraction closures. One wonders if WDW is going to hit a gradual inflection point or a asymptotic one due to the confluence of Crowding, Closures (which exacerbate crowding) and price increases.

No.... They did. Look at pre-Frozen, first 6 mo 2014 compared to 2013. Absolute crap show. Attendance bottomed out.

Frozen gave it enough of a bump to survive.... That silly sing-a-long.

Overall DHS attendance numbers are way below all the other parks. They pull an above average crowd about 42% of the time whereas MK pulls one 52% of the time.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No.... They did. Look at pre-Frozen, first 6 mo 2014 compared to 2013. Absolute crap show. Attendance bottomed out.

Frozen gave it enough of a bump to survive.... That silly sing-a-long.

Overall DHS attendance numbers are way below all the other parks. They pull an above average crowd about 42% of the time whereas MK pulls one 52% of the time.

Agree but since the 'gate clicks' were about par for the ENTIRE year saved by that awful show, Remember that attendance is going to be a single powerpoint slide at the BoD meeting that will show that closing the attractions had little effect on attendance.

I've done many presentations for high level people (VP's and C level executives) and it's always 'Bullet Points Only' they don't want to see the detailed analysis.

PhotoDave219

Agree but since the 'gate clicks' were about par for the ENTIRE year saved by that awful show, Remember that attendance is going to be a single powerpoint slide at the BoD meeting that will show that closing the attractions had little effect on attendance.

I've done many presentations for high level people (VP's and C level executives) and it's always 'Bullet Points Only' they don't want to see the detailed analysis.

Okay..... Here's the bullet point.
  • Frozen Saved DHS.

PhotoDave219

Here's the other one

• Closure of 5 major attractions had no material effect on year over year attendance.

I'd say it did. From a year to year basis... its taken them since 2006 to add 1 Million guests. Since 2007 they've grown annually at 2% or less.

Edit: You take Frozen out of this equation and its a flaming dumpster fire. Instead, its merely bad. Heck, you take SWW and their 11 peak days out of the 45 this year (sofar) and its bad.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'd say it did. From a year to year basis... its taken them since 2006 to add 1 Million guests. Since 2007 they've grown annually at 2% or less.

Edit: You take Frozen out of this equation and its a flaming dumpster fire. Instead, its merely bad. Heck, you take SWW and their 11 peak days out of the 45 this year (sofar) and its bad.
Which is probably why the BOD is deciding on how much to spend on DHS not whether to spend anything. Some people like to paint these people as morons, but they can see through the uptick from a temporary event like Frozen summer. When Avatar opens and pushes more people to DAK the numbers at DHS will look even worse. If I know these things as a casual fan you can bet that the execs running the company know it too.

PhotoDave219

Which is probably why the BOD is deciding on how much to spend on DHS not whether to spend anything. Some people like to paint these people as morons, but they can see through the uptick from a temporary event like Frozen summer. When Avatar opens and pushes more people to DAK the numbers at DHS will look even worse. If I know these things as a casual fan you can bet that the execs running the company know it too.

Construction on Pixar should be well underway by then and hopefully SW.

Its not Frozen as the summer event, its the Sing-A-Long. Thats the only thing driving attendance, beyond the resort seems up as a whole on peak days. Case in Point, DHS has had more peak (8+) days in 2015 (45) than merely above average (6+ days, 41) in the same time period of 2013. The simple metric of whether it was an above average crowd or an average & below crowd (6+/5-) tells me whether or not people are going to that park more often than not. Last year it had a 140/41 split, sofar its 104/74 in 2015. Pretty much in line with 2013's 108/73. And really, its been this quarter. Jan-March was horrid for the studios, in line with last year. April-June 2015 is much better than April-June 2014 when you had a mere 14 above average days. 43 sofar this year which is in line with 2013's 40.

Nice to see that I have two years of data to compare this to. And I still cant figure out how they got 2% of growth last year....

Mike S

image.jpg

PhotoDave219

So I'm staring at the numbers.... probably a bad thing to do.

And I'm looking at the 6+/5- split from 2013 compared to 2014 for the studios. The very simple split of the number of days with an Above average crowd vs the number of days with an Average and below crowd. (Its 224/141 vs 232/133 for anyone who is curious).... and despite having Frozen, 2014 just wasn't as busy as 2013.... or better put, the number of busy days in 2014 weren't as many as those in 2013. Its only 8 days. There were more Average days than anything in 2014 for the studios and fewer off-peak.... so growth, I guess.

Phil12

Executives only want the bullet points. They don't care about any details! :rolleyes:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Construction on Pixar should be well underway by then and hopefully SW.

Its not Frozen as the summer event, its the Sing-A-Long. Thats the only thing driving attendance, beyond the resort seems up as a whole on peak days. Case in Point, DHS has had more peak (8+) days in 2015 (45) than merely above average (6+ days, 41) in the same time period of 2013. The simple metric of whether it was an above average crowd or an average & below crowd (6+/5-) tells me whether or not people are going to that park more often than not. Last year it had a 140/41 split, sofar its 104/74 in 2015. Pretty much in line with 2013's 108/73. And really, its been this quarter. Jan-March was horrid for the studios, in line with last year. April-June 2015 is much better than April-June 2014 when you had a mere 14 above average days. 43 sofar this year which is in line with 2013's 40.

Nice to see that I have two years of data to compare this to. And I still cant figure out how they got 2% of growth last year....

I wonder if they will keep the Frozen sing along at DHS once Frozestrom opens. I guess there's nowhere in EPCOt to move it to.

bcoachable

I cringe every time I walk into Seas and every time I get in the d@#n clam and every time I see the unused dive tube and the peeling paint and the tank which hasn't been cleaned in a decade. I cringe at many, many things across the parks. But sometimes creative just has to do what they are told and we resign ourselves to fixing things later if we get the opportunity.

But I also marvel at the art direction within DAK and the fact that even expansions to that park like the new market in Harambe still uphold the same quality standard years after it opened. I still get as excited when I walk into Tower of Terror as I do walking into the Haunted Mansion - both being examples of the highest level of talent that WDI has to give during different eras. I love Everest, Yeti or not. And even with Epcot as it is now, it's still a park that I walk into and it just feels good. There's good and there's bad to everything, regardless of the politics or the battles or anything else. At the end of the day, if you walk in and you smile, I'm happy. And the good people I know and work with will continue to try make the parks a better place - adding new items and fixing past mistakes - as much as we are able to, across the industry.

Thank you for this. You and those you work with are appreciated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom