Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

Mike S

I wonder if they will keep the Frozen sing along at DHS once Frozestrom opens. I guess there's nowhere in EPCOt to move it to.
Even if there was room, which I think there is since they're not even using the whole expansion pad for the M&G, it would just create even more of a disaster. M&G, show, and ride all in one spot that can't even hope to handle the crowds. It's best to keep it where it is.

Cesar R M

No.... They did. Look at pre-Frozen, first 6 mo 2014 compared to 2013. Absolute crap show. Attendance bottomed out.

Frozen gave it enough of a bump to survive.... That silly sing-a-long.

Overall DHS attendance numbers are way below all the other parks. They pull an above average crowd about 42% of the time whereas MK pulls one 52% of the time.
pretty sure people dont care much of the sing a long, only for the fact that you can see the characters interacting.

BrerJon

Marketing. All Marketing's fault. 95% of WDI screamed.

I wish there was someone at WDI who could stand up to marketing.

To those not in the know, judging by much of the output, WDI of 2015 comes across like a bunch of un-talented hacks who's output wouldn't pass as a grade school report in the days of Artencio, Davis or Baxter. Except, according to those in the know, that's not the case, and the poor projects aren't their fault, it's marketing who is to blame.

And this is backed up by the excellent work that does come out, like Harambe, or Trader Sam's, or what's being planned for Tokyo, that shows there *are* still people who get it, and it's not just an excuse.

But "Blame marketing" is an excuse that is rolled out too many times. Who's bright idea was it to block the Chinese Theater with a giant hat? Marketing. No new attractions apart from lazy character overlays? Marketing. Nemo in the Seas and Stitch in Alien Encounter? Marketing. Why is New Fantasyland so half-baked? Marketing.

WDI appears to just shrug it's shoulders and follow orders, even when those orders are actively making them do their job *badly* in many cases. Sure, that's their job, but why doesn't somebody try to change that so it's not their job to just roll over and accept it?

So if I was an executive at WDI, here's what I'd do. I'd go over to marketing, slam heads into walls and say 'look, you're ruining our reputation and the parks'. Or go over their heads to their boss. Who died and made marketing king, and who decided that it wasn't WDI's place to question orders from above? That sure wasn't the case in Walt's day.

I know that's not easy, and internal politics probably make it impossible, but I really hope someone at WDI has at least tried to reduce marketing's influence, even if it has proved ineffective. If they haven't, they really should.

Last edited:

JWG

I wonder if they will keep the Frozen sing along at DHS once Frozestrom opens. I guess there's nowhere in EPCOt to move it to.

There's a huge theater full with (a lack of) imagination not too far away that could handle this easily. Could even do i in 3D!

Disneybear

I wish there was someone at WDI who could stand up to marketing.

To those not in the know, judging by much of the output, WDI of 2015 comes across like a bunch of un-talented hacks who's output wouldn't pass as a grade school report in the days of Artencio, Davis or Baxter. Except, according to those in the know, that's not the case, and the poor projects aren't their fault, it's marketing who is to blame.

And this is backed up by the excellent work that does come out, like Harambe, or Trader Sam's, or what's being planned for Tokyo, that shows there *are* still people who get it, and it's not just an excuse.

But "Blame marketing" is an excuse that is rolled out too many times. Who's bright idea was it to block the Chinese Theater with a giant hat? Marketing. No new attractions apart from lazy character overlays? Marketing. Nemo in the Seas and Stitch in Alien Encounter? Marketing. Why is New Fantasyland so half-baked? Marketing.

WDI appears to just shrug it's shoulders and follow orders, even when those orders are actively making them do their job *badly* in many cases. Sure, that's their job, but why doesn't somebody try to change that so it's not their job to just roll over and accept it?

So if I was an executive at WDI, here's what I'd do. I'd go over to marketing, slam heads into walls and say 'look, you're ruining our reputation and the parks'. Or go over their heads to their boss. Who died and made marketing king, and who decided that it wasn't WDI's place to question orders from above? That sure wasn't the case in Walt's day.

I know that's not easy, and internal politics probably make it impossible, but I really hope someone at WDI has at least tried to reduce marketing's influence, even if it has proved ineffective. If they haven't, they really should.

If you were an imagineer today and felt that you had a great idea for a completely original attraction not based off of any IP, would you share it with your colleagues at WDI knowing that once out it would become Disney's' property. Or would you hold on to it for possibly a future employer knowing Disney's current predilection for proven franchises?.

punkabella

I don't see why they wouldn't. It's actually a fun attraction, even for those who aren't huge Frozen fans. Even my husband likes it and he could easily never hear the name of the movie again and be happy.
When did a singing show become an attraction? I thought that was entertainment. It can stay if it wants, I don't mind it being a people eater if that is what it actually does, especially when DHS is rebuilt/revamped/made-over and there are better attractions to do.

Bocabear

If a lot of money is really being tossed at DHS, does anyone think it's possible that the Ratatouille ride will be cloned there? Not only is it an E-ticket that is not in the US, but it would really fit the park's need for a higher quality all ages ride. And having the restaurant as well would work too.
While I am not generally in love with the toonification of EPCOT, the Ratatouille ride would perfectly and beautifully with the existing pavilion...It has everything to do with being in Paris, it feels french, it is not a fictional country... This is one IP that actually would work...and there is expansion property next door to build it... it would add another attraction to the world showcase that is woefully lacking in attractions.

doctornick

While I am not generally in love with the toonification of EPCOT, the Ratatouille ride would perfectly and beautifully with the existing pavilion...It has everything to do with being in Paris, it feels french, it is not a fictional country... This is one IP that actually would work...and there is expansion property next door to build it... it would add another attraction to the world showcase that is woefully lacking in attractions.

I'm actually OK with Ratatouille in the France pavilion for the reasons you state, but think a better placement for it in WDW would be in an expanded Pixar Place at DHS.

dizneycrazy09

Just spent the first hour of my Monday morning catching up on weekend posts, hoping to stumble upon some news about DHS. Instead, I got some fireside, armchair design - interesting but not helpful. I know that @PhotoDave219 said the situation with D23 is fluid to say the least. Does anyone have any knowledge obtained over the weekend to enlighten or update the sitation? Perhaps some Spirited Monday morning musings from @WDW1974? I know...I'm being impatient again.

andysol

I'm actually OK with the toonification. Frozen I'm not because Arendale is fictional. I also think they truly gave Frozen a disservice. As big as Frozen is and as big as it will be for future generations- like it or not- it's a generation defining Disney movie a la Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty, etc.- that it is deserving of an entire mini-land. See- DisneySea. That's what Arendale deserves. Not a 2.5 minute boat ride w/ a Meet and Greet. It deserves an E-Ticket and ice castle, but I digress.

Back to Epcot- I'd be fine with Ratatouille. Of course, I think Hunchback would be much more fitting in France due to Victor Hugo being one of the greatest literary talents to ever come out of the country (and world, for that matter). It just seems more historical w/ educational elements than a talking rat.
That said- I'd be fine with either because the world showcase needs a solid 3-4 more attractions, and if that's the way to get that fantastic ride into the parks- show me where to sign off on it.

PhotoDave219

Just spent the first hour of my Monday morning catching up on weekend posts, hoping to stumble upon some news about DHS. Instead, I got some fireside, armchair design - interesting but not helpful. I know that @PhotoDave219 said the situation with D23 is fluid to say the least. Does anyone have any knowledge obtained over the weekend to enlighten or update the sitation? Perhaps some Spirited Monday morning musings from @WDW1974? I know...I'm being impatient again.

Yes, its a Fluid situation and things are changing day to day. I'll tell you at the end of August? ;)

PhotoDave219

When did a singing show become an attraction? I thought that was entertainment. It can stay if it wants, I don't mind it being a people eater if that is what it actually does, especially when DHS is rebuilt/revamped/made-over and there are better attractions to do.

Shows are classified as an "attraction".... helps go towards the quantification of what constitutes a full day.

Since you're going to ask.... 8-9 shows/attractions/experiences is how a full day is quantified.

Getting OT here.... I used to be able to do 8-9 in an evening. Jungle, Pirates, Mansion, Wishes, Night parade, something in Fantasyland with no line, Buzz, TTA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom