Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Maybe I just missed it in the article, but I didn't see any mention of how much people would pay for the services as standalone products. I spent about 18 years in that industry working on both the television broadcast and channel distribution sides. IIRC, whenever discussions about unbundling services surfaced in the past, several channels with lower overall ratings made the cut as those that customers were most likely to buy. That was, at least, until a potential price was mentioned. Then, customer interest dropped severely in those networks.

ESPN, on the other hand, had a large dedicated base that would pay premium channel (e.g., HBO) rates to get the service with live sports programming.

There is a reason ESPN/Disney can demand the highest license fees of any basic networks, and it is not just because of their names or legacy in the cable industry.

Yes it's because if you want your subs to see the ABC, The Disney channel or A&E you have to take ESPN it's just that simple. Under a ala carte model the subs can buy whatever channel they want and the carrier just pays for the number of subs subscribed to each network.

Not a sports fan and no rugrats No ESPN, Disney Channel and Nickelodeon But yes to A&E and the weather channel.

If you READ the article the WEATHER CHANNEL came out ahead of ESPN. With 40% of households wanting it as opposed to 35.7 percent wanting ESPN. And that number seems about right because about a third of my circle of friends care about sports, The rest sports is 'meh to them.

The other interesting tidbit in that article is that TV is WORTH about 40 bucks to people and they have 12-17 channels they are interested in. Right now they are paying the $125/mo because they HAVE to.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It's contributed.

Evidence- myself. We booked up because we deemed DA to be unmissable... And spent 5 days in Disney too as a result.
It hasn't. At a net level, it hasn't. For every person like yourself there's a family that would have only done WDW that instead did WDW and Universal. It's largely a wash. Room nights support this, since most people visiting both locations stay off property.

mahnamahna101

This is the type of budget we all have dreamed about. Even if it is 2B the amount of work that can be done for the kind of investment is incredible! Hopefully infrastructure is not as bad as MK so a ton does not get washed into that bucket. Hopefully this is all new elements besides the parking garages! This is exciting times....

AK is getting love...
HS is getting Love
MK got love and is still getting fixed and plussed
Epecot - Needs love but based on traffic can keep going as is for now with minor fixes
With $2 billion, if TDO is smart with their money, they can do the parking garages, build a great Star Wars Land, flesh out Pixar, update the GMR, and possibly give Muppets/Sunset/Animation a little bit of love.

$2.5 billion ought to set DHS up for the next 6-8 yrs once it's complete.

SYRIK2000

It hasn't. At a net level, it hasn't. For every person like yourself there's a family that would have only done WDW that instead did WDW and Universal. It's largely a wash. Room nights support this, since most people visiting both locations stay off property.

I sense a chart coming.

GLaDOS

Granted this article is old, but Disney did lose market share, at least for a while, thanks to Universal's rise.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...orlando-wizarding-world-theme-park-attendance

So no, it has not been a wash.

UpAllNight

Weren't there figures not long ago to suggest tourism in Orlando reached record levels last year? There's obviously a range of contributing factors, the economy etc. I don't however think it can be argued that the place overall is a more attractive destination to visit due to investment made by the likes of Universal.

stretchsje

@WDW1974, when an expenditure is approved, how final is it really? It seems like most of what I've read on this site involves cuts to the original planned budget for various lands and attractions. Avatar going from three to two attractions, for example. Everyone talks about what almost was. But is that typically from people incorrectly estimating/reporting the original budget or because it has, due to the BoD's changing sentiment, been revised downward?

I ask because of a lingering feeling of pessimism. If the approved plans aren't going to be complete until 2021, then any economic downturn between now and then will probably alter them. And I don't like the odds of maintaining a strong economy for the next six years. Isn't that why the Monsters Inc door coaster was scrapped after ~2008, due to the economy?

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

dizneycrazy09

I've not heard of it being specifically mentioned.

Indy however is on borrowed time. Has been for 18 months now.

I swore I just read earlier in the thread that Indy wasn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.... :confused:
Do you think Indy would close in the initial stage of construction? Or will it die a slow, agonizing death in phase 2 or 3 or 9 (or however many phases of construction it takes to get HS up to snuff)?

Mike S

Before I'm blamed for starting Disney vs. Uni...........
nfTWd.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom