Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

Cesar R M

This is the type of budget we all have dreamed about. Even if it is 2B the amount of work that can be done for the kind of investment is incredible! Hopefully infrastructure is not as bad as MK so a ton does not get washed into that bucket. Hopefully this is all new elements besides the parking garages! This is exciting times....

AK is getting love...
HS is getting Love
MK got love and is still getting fixed and plussed
Epecot - Needs love but based on traffic can keep going as is for now with minor fixes
I hope so.. if this is all true.. then Iger finally listened to most of our complains and prayers.

MerlinTheGoat

Where are people getting the $2 billion number? Was that actually mentioned somewhere as a legit rumor or is it just wishful thinking?

All I could find was a vague comment from WDW1974 saying the final budget might end up being more than DCA 2.0, but that isn't a good reason to assume it's as high as $2B.

Progress.City

Where are people getting the $2 billion number? Was that actually mentioned somewhere as a legit rumor or is it just wishful thinking?

All I could find was a vague comment from WDW1974 saying the final budget might end up being more than DCA 2.0, but that isn't a good reason to assume it's as high as $2B.
Spirit said that the DHS redo budget is more than the DCA 2.0 budget was and even gave a number that I don't remember and I'm too lazy to go digging for it.

But he also said Star Wars Land would come later and is not included in that figure.

I would also imagine that the infrastructure improvements - parking structures and new access road (see footnote *) - would come from RCID.

So, final grand total is...

HDS redo budget +
Star Wars Land budget +
RCID infrastructure * =
-------------------------------
TOTAL

* Additional items out of RDIC could possibly include:

A transit link to EPCOT via monorail expansion or a themed people mover attraction could also possibly be included in the RCID budget, but there are no signs of this and don't get your hopes up!

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Spirit said that the DHS redo budget is more than the DCA 2.0 budget was and even gave a number that I don't remember and I'm too lazy to go digging for it.

But he also said Star Wars Land would come later and is not included in that figure.

I would also imagine that the infrastructure improvements - parking structures and new access road - would come from RCID.

So, final grand total is...

HDS redo budget +
Star Wars Land budget +
RCID infrastructure =
-------------------------------
TOTAL

Meh, I'm just happy that the ball will be rolling.

I'm also insanely curious about what else theyre discussing, assuming this is a done deal.

Jahona

so, DHS boundaries are expanding?

Nothing for certain. There isn't to much room to expand the park. This map was brought up before in this thread. It was posted by @marni1971 of possible locations for use. One of them was saying use the grey section. that is located across from the park.

image-jpg.98111

flyerjab

I expect that the redo at DHS will be pretty extensive. They are already making extensive changes to DAK. They are completely reinvigorating DTD - I know not everyone counts it but it is still some decent cash being dumped into that location. I expect this redo to be at the level or greater than what Disney has already done and are doing up to this point.

I have always argued that UNI could never fully compete with WDW until it becomes a legit 4-5 day minimum resort destination. Well guess what, with the seriously awesome upgrades to their existing 2 parks, a headliner IP in Harry Potter, Cabana Bay and a new (and very cool looking) Sapphire Falls resort coupled with a big time new water park that will debut in 2 years, well, UNI will be a full week resort in 2017. By that time they can start seriously challenging WDW for guests attention and cash if for the only reason that it is (currently) a more affordable vacation and you have comparable resorts with parks that boast world-class attractions. Also, Disney has been saying how great 2017 will be with the debut of Avatar in DAK. Well, now UNI can do some of their own counter-programming in 2017 with the opening of their brand new, huge water park.

If Disney doesn't open the money faucets for DHS, that will be a HUGE mistake in 2 years. The Disney fans need something inspiring to latch onto again. DHS could be that very thing - a shiny, new and innovative park with a fully immersive Star Wars Land (and PIXAR too). I can only envision the lines to get into that park with a newly built Star Wars Land. That is why to me it would be a strategic blunder at this point if a major change is not made to this park.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I expect that the redo at DHS will be pretty extensive. They are already making extensive changes to DAK. They are completely reinvigorating DTD - I know not everyone counts it but it is still some decent cash being dumped into that location. I expect this redo to be at the level or greater than what Disney has already done and are doing up to this point.

I have always argued that UNI could never fully compete with WDW until it becomes a legit 4-5 day minimum resort destination. Well guess what, with the seriously awesome upgrades to their existing 2 parks, a headliner IP in Harry Potter, Cabana Bay and a new (and very cool looking) Sapphire Falls resort coupled with a big time new water park that will debut in 2 years, well, UNI will be a full week resort in 2017. By that time they can start seriously challenging WDW for guests attention and cash if for the only reason that it is (currently) a more affordable vacation and you have comparable resorts with parks that boast world-class attractions. Also, Disney has been saying how great 2017 will be with the debut of Avatar in DAK. Well, now UNI can do some of their own counter-programming in 2017 with the opening of their brand new, huge water park.

If Disney doesn't open the money faucets for DHS, that will be a HUGE mistake in 2 years. The Disney fans need something inspiring to latch onto again. DHS could be that very thing - a shiny, new and innovative park with a fully immersive Star Wars Land (and PIXAR too). I can only envision the lines to get into that park with a newly built Star Wars Land. That is why to me it would be a strategic blunder at this point if a major change is not made to this park.

And don't forget that Nintendo is rumored to be another addition at Universal....

El Grupo

Yes it's because if you want your subs to see the ABC, The Disney channel or A&E you have to take ESPN it's just that simple. Under a ala carte model the subs can buy whatever channel they want and the carrier just pays for the number of subs subscribed to each network.

Not a sports fan and no rugrats No ESPN, Disney Channel and Nickelodeon But yes to A&E and the weather channel.

If you READ the article the WEATHER CHANNEL came out ahead of ESPN. With 40% of households wanting it as opposed to 35.7 percent wanting ESPN. And that number seems about right because about a third of my circle of friends care about sports, The rest sports is 'meh to them.

The other interesting tidbit in that article is that TV is WORTH about 40 bucks to people and they have 12-17 channels they are interested in. Right now they are paying the $125/mo because they HAVE to.

I did read the article and your response and did not see what those surveyed would pay for each channel a la carte. Having worked with two premium networks and two of the three largest carriers in the country, I'm rather familiar with how the a la carte model works. Place a $5+ price tag on those top channels (the amount the networks would need to make up for lost license fees and advertising revenue) and they would not be very popular in that survey.

By the way, you've got the first line backwards. If you want your subs to see ESPN, then you have to carry all of the other Disney networks. Disney Channel has already been down somewhat of an a la carte route and transitioned to a basic from a premium because it was projected that, at best, it would remain around 10% - 15% penetration of the market. Disney Channels benefitted greatly from ESPN. When Comcast made their hostile takeover bid for Disney, they wanted ABC, the studios and all the Disney networks. But, they REALLY wanted ESPN - they recognized the value of this commodity both in long-term distribution and national/local ad sales.

Regarding a $40 bundle of supposed favorite 12 - 17 channels, it would be preferred. However, in the real world, quite a few "favorites" will get left out because some of the lesser channels will get included. Why? Due to costs and because almost all channels are owned by a handful of companies that will demand that secondary networks are guaranteed carriage in order to gain access to the primary nets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom