Boat ride might not be happening after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSoxNo1

Joe Rohde intimated that the Boat Ride would be entirely at night, indicating entirely indoors. I suspect it is fully represented on the model. Having said that, they didn't reveal the boat ride's official name today (The same rumor that had the banshee ride correct had the boat ride called "Na'vi River Journey"). I still wouldn't rule out the boat ride being delayed.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
As they didn't announce the boat ride I would guess its part of Phase II, get the Banshee ride and the majority of the land open and continue to work on the boat ride afterwards.

jt04

Joe Rohde intimated that the Boat Ride would be entirely at night, indicating entirely indoors. I suspect it is fully represented on the model. Having said that, they didn't reveal the boat ride's official name today (The same rumor that had the banshee ride correct had the boat ride called "Na'vi River Journey"). I still wouldn't rule out the boat ride being delayed.

I wouldn't rule out it is being plussed.

Siren

Whether the boat ride opens on day 1 or in a later phase is anyone's guess but they are already constructing the show building for it so the chances it won't happen are incredibly unlikely.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz352/loaloauk/dlp encounter/New album 43/avatar-land-disneys-animal-kingdom-13.jpg~original

http://thedisneyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/avatar2-500x386.png
Thank you for posting this, the new building is taking form and looks great so far. I really should have known better -- but, since the OP claimed to actually be at D23, I took his comments at face value. Shame on me this time, lol.

There are a few hints at the boat ride from what I can gather. These include:

(1) a pamphlet about the land from 'ACE' that hints at wallkig under the mountains, flying on a winged beast and that as a traveler they you can tell others how you "floated into forests that glow",
(http://twitter.com/*****/status/632281697275392000/photo/1

(2) this poster on display also shows the boat ride:

These were made specifically for D23 and include references to the boat ride. Hard to imagine it's not happening if they're still referencing it. I'd guess we'll get more details during the Parks presentation.
OMG, I totally love that poster! Thank you, I'm feeling so much better about this now.

As I pointed out, the OP is mistaken. That is not the case.

That is hardly proof that the boat ride is "missing."
Yeah, I totally regret skimming over your post, it would have saved me from spending time and energy.on this.
How do you know he won't? This year's D23 isn't even over yet, and D23 is not the only method by which a human being can present things. If you want him at this specific D23 event just to make you feel better, okay, but it still wouldn't change what's being built. And if he's not there, you can't interpret his lack of presence as some kind of indication that he doesn't approve of the project, or that he'll never talk about it ever again.
Okay, point well taken. I just like to speculate about stuff and most of the time, I'm right. In this particular instance, I hope I'm wrong,

Do you honestly think that the land itself will just be a scaled up version of the model with pale colors, paper trees, plastic people, poor lighting, and no intricate details? Architectural models aren't intended as a substitute for the real thing. They're overviews, intended to give you a sense of layout, scale, and general concept. You won't be flying over the real Avatar Land at AK, you'll be walking through it from ground level. That's where the best views are going to be from - not a bird's eye view from the equivalent of about 500 to 1000 feet in the air like the views of the model are. If you watch the couple of videos that Joe Rhode posted of the model, it's a more cinematic look that gives you a better perspective. But still, the most realistic, detailed models of construction projects in today's technological world are in the computer. 3D renderings viewed with VR displays, that sort of thing. Unfortunately, virtual models can't be displayed in the same way a physical model can, so physical models are built to give an overall sense of the layout, not to recreate what it's like to actually see the finished product in all its glory. It doesn't make any sense, nor is it really possible, to put that much effort into extreme detailing on a physical model that's thousands of times smaller than the real thing.

Google up some images of the scale models of Cars Land, Buena Vista Street, or New Fantasyland (or any other recent theme park project) to see how the models compare to the finished product.

No one said the model "doesn't matter," just that the purpose of the model isn't to be a simulated reality of the real thing, nor does it need to be.
Um, you are totally preaching to the choir. There is *no* one here, who has defended Avatarland harder than me. I have always been a staunch supporter of this venture, since the first announcement. After years and years of waiting, discussing, defending and speculating, I don't want Disney to throw this on the back burner because they own Star Wars now.

@Captain Neo -- April Fools' Day is only once a year!!! I feel so stupid for believing your post. You should be banned from starting anymore threads. And really, everyone who took time to read your post deserves an ice cream treat or something, at your expense!

Last edited:

Siren

Yay!!! James Cameron made an appearance at D23 -- his presence gave me the much needed reassurance that this land is going to be super amazing!

This is the best youtube video of Avatarland at D23 -- it shows everything said from start to finish.

Joe Rohde is such an amazing speaker, just listening to him transported me to the World of Pandora! Bob Iger really should have been present to accompany Cameron on stage -- that's so disrespectful. Sometimes, I really wish Universal had gotten Avatar instead, but then it would be missing the magic of Joe Rohde.

Anyway, Happy Birthday James Cameron! It doesn't surprise me at all that he's a Leo. LOL.

Captain Neo

Original Poster
@Captain Neo -- April's Fools' Day is only once a year!!! I feel so stupid for believing your post. You should be banned from starting anymore threads. And really, everyone who took time to read your post deserves an ice cream treat or something, at your expense!

...............what?

Did you even read the OP? I was reporting on what I was told by WDI themselves combined with my speculation and that was very clear in the OP.

ToTBellHop

...............what?

Did you even read the OP? I was reporting on what I was told by WDI themselves combined with my speculation and that was very clear in the OP.
I don't think you were at all in the wrong. There has been a lack of clarity on this project from its inception. Thankfully, this particular issue is now resolved, although we still don't know if it'll be phased openings or not.

Captain Neo

Original Poster
I don't think you were at all in the wrong. There has been a lack of clarity on this project from its inception. Thankfully, this particular issue is now resolved, although we still don't know if it'll be phased openings or not.

I'm concerned it's going to be phased because the reps on the show floor sure as heck didnt want to talk about it and even Rhode was very vague as if it was a blue sky concept. The boat ride should have been finalized and already under construction. The only reason I can see a justification in delaying it is if it has lots of content from the Avatar sequels that Cameron is trying to keep under wraps until the films debut.

Captain Neo

Original Poster
6 years is still laughable.

DHS should be done by late 2020. Which in itself is a joke but that's another discussion.

Harry Potter didnt fair that much better. Announced in 2007 and didn't open until 2010 and all it was 1 new e-ticket, some themed shops, and slight retheming to 2 barebone coasters.

What Disney is attempting with Avatar Land and the DHS overhaul is a bit more robust.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So?

If I stuck my hand in the fire would you? (Ignoring your attempt to downplay an incredibly themed environment) or are you still harking on about the "competition" in attempt to justify the glacial pace?

Try holding Disney to their own standard of the past.

Remember the E was cut from Avland.

I really hope the forthcoming attractions are worthy of the IP, budget and time taken. I really do. But in Orlando it can no longer be taken for granted.

Last edited:

Captain Neo

Original Poster
So?

If I stuck my hand in the fire would you? (Ignoring your attempt to downplay an incredibly themed environment) or are you still harking on about the "competition" in attempt to justify the glacial pace?

Try holding Disney to their own standard of the past.

Remember the E was cut from Avland.

I really hope the forthcoming attractions are worthy of the IP, budget and time taken. I really do. But in Orlando it can no longer be taken for granted.

Explain to me how a motorcycle ride would make sense in Pandora:The World of Avatar when it would be much better suited for Tron and Star Wars. Also please explain how flight of passage is not a true E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom