Boat ride might not be happening after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Next Big Thing

It only needed to be mentioned once to establish that the atmosphere is toxic, but then there are numerous places in the movie where we see behaving in ways that are consistent with there being a toxic atmosphere. There are situations in the movie where if the mask was just a precaution, people wouldn't have bothered to put one on.

With that said, I agree that they will probably come up with an explanation, because they surely aren't going to make people wear masks. :)
The only reason I ever questioned if it was possibly a suitable atmosphere or not is because there are times during the movie where they run out into the open, not a care in the world that they don't have a mask on and nothing affects them.

In the end though, most people don't care if in the movie the air is toxic. There's some things you just have to work around if you want to bring a world to life.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The only reason I ever questioned if it was possibly a suitable atmosphere or not is because there are times during the movie where they run out into the open, not a care in the world that they don't have a mask on and nothing affects them.

I have seen the movie a few times and they are pretty consistent on this point. Everytime a human is outside they have a mask on or are clearly shown holding their breath.

jt04

There are a few hints at the boat ride from what I can gather. These include:

(1) a pamphlet about the land from 'ACE' that hints at wallkig under the mountains, flying on a winged beast and that as a traveler they you can tell others how you "floated into forests that glow",
(http://twitter.com/*****/status/632281697275392000/photo/1

(2) this poster on display also shows the boat ride:
DSC00648.jpg

These were made specifically for D23 and include references to the boat ride. Hard to imagine it's not happening if they're still referencing it. I'd guess we'll get more details during the Parks presentation.

I think the boat ride got plussed. This ain't camp minnie-mickey. :)

Next Big Thing

I have seen the movie a few times and they are pretty consistent on this point. Everytime a human is outside they have a mask on or are clearly shown holding their breath.
I did notice holding breath a lot.

I think I kinda knew all along it was toxic, but I didn't hear it in the beginning and I knew Disney had this problem so I was almost looking to see if there was a hole in the story so to speak.

bakntime

All they have to say is they've added an antigen to all the food and drink in Animal Kingdom, or that they've sprayed us with a special mist (that's either invisible and odorless or it's water vapor) and we're now all immune.

Minthorne

All they have to say is they've added an antigen to all the food and drink in Animal Kingdom, or that they've sprayed us with a special mist (that's either invisible and odorless or it's water vapor) and we're now all immune.

Or you could get sprinkled with pixie dust.

Disneyhead'71

Science isn't particularly a thing in this Sci-Fi film. This is a place that has gravity that makes water fall and can cause Humans and Na'vi to plunge to their deaths, but has no effect on massive floating mountains. WTH?

Next Big Thing

Science isn't particularly a thing in this Sci-Fi film. This is a place that has gravity that makes water fall and can cause Humans and Na'vi to plunge to their deaths, but has no effect on massive floating mountains. WTH?
The floating mountains really serve little purpose other than to look cool and to add another element to the film. All movies have their little quirks, especially a big budget sci-fi movie.

But if we're being honest, the movie is actually pretty good. If I had to say anything, i'd almost say the run time was too long. They could've split this movie into two 1.5 hour movies instead of one 2 hour and 40 minute movie. I saw perfect spots in the middle where it could've ended and it almost got a little tiresome after that.

ToTBellHop

The floating mountains really serve little purpose other than to look cool and to add another element to the film. All movies have their little quirks, especially a big budget sci-fi movie.

But if we're being honest, the movie is actually pretty good. If I had to say anything, i'd almost say the run time was too long. They could've split this movie into two 1.5 hour movies instead of one 2 hour and 40 minute movie. I saw perfect spots in the middle where it could've ended and it almost got a little tiresome after that.
For me, the plot has the usual Jim Cameron shortcomings, but it is a visually spectacular film and will be a visually spectacular land. Let's hope the storytelling is strong, too.

Next Big Thing

On record as saying this thread is useless
yep, there's proof multiple times yesterday about the boat ride. In the ACE Promo video where the girl talks about riding the "canoe ride" and in the poster I posted above. We'll find out later, but i'd be VERY surprised to find out that the boat ride isn't included given they are publicly showcasing the artwork still.

flyerjab

On record as saying this thread is useless

Thank you. I was going to type that as soon as I saw it but decided to go to bed.

I have always been intrigued about this particular attraction in general. In the past, when the slightest hint was ever given or lack of info was provided at any time, there was always this immediate knee-jerk reaction of "they cut the boat ride." It was almost like people are just anxiously waiting for this to be cut so they could dump all over Disney for it. We have now seen, on multiple occasions, nicely summed up by @danlb_2000, that there is proof this is happening beyond just concept art.

There has also been the snark posted about how this land is going to have a huge simulator ride and "nice, little C Ticket boat ride." Now, the latest that has been put out there in the press (again, another indication that this is happening) is that this is now at the level of a D Ticket attraction.

All I can say is I really can't wait for the parks presentation today. I hope that this is put to bed once and for all. Then this thread can go away.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It's stated early in the movie when Jake is leaving the shuttle...

Shuttle Crew Chief: Remember people, you lose that mask you're unconscious in twenty seconds, you're dead in four minutes. Let's nobody be dead today, it looks very bad on my report.
Also late in the movie when he is in the (whatever they call it when he is linked in) pod up in the mountains, the dude in the mech suite ruptured the exterior of the building where Jake is linked in and he begins to suffocate.

MagicGoofy

Guys the boat ride is happening... We just don't know when it will open but we shouldn't worry about that for another year when it starts to get closer to 2017... I'm not even sure why this thread was made to talk about something that has no truth what so ever, just because a few spokesmen in character didn't out right say 'we will have a boat ride' most of them said you will be able to go on the rivers of pandora, etc.

ToTBellHop

Guys the boat ride is happening... We just don't know when it will open but we shouldn't worry about that for another year when it starts to get closer to 2017... I'm not even sure why this thread was made to talk about something that has no truth what so ever, just because a few spokesmen in character didn't out right say 'we will have a boat ride' most of them said you will be able to go on the rivers of pandora, etc.
If the whole land is actually pushed back (again) to 2018, they should have no problem having the boat ride ready...

Last edited:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Thank you. I was going to type that as soon as I saw it but decided to go to bed.

I have always been intrigued about this particular attraction in general. In the past, when the slightest hint was ever given or lack of info was provided at any time, there was always this immediate knee-jerk reaction of "they cut the boat ride." It was almost like people are just anxiously waiting for this to be cut so they could dump all over Disney for it. We have now seen, on multiple occasions, nicely summed up by @danlb_2000, that there is proof this is happening beyond just concept art.

There has also been the snark posted about how this land is going to have a huge simulator ride and "nice, little C Ticket boat ride." Now, the latest that has been put out there in the press (again, another indication that this is happening) is that this is now at the level of a D Ticket attraction.

All I can say is I really can't wait for the parks presentation today. I hope that this is put to bed once and for all. Then this thread can go away.
Even IF Disney opened this land with one attraction, just as it is with most of DAK, the lands and environment is an attraction in and of itself. The amount of technology going into this attraction as a whole has to be mind blowing. One wrong wired connection and you could have affects not working correctly. I hope Disney takes as long as it needs to make sure this attraction is opened functioning and functioning long term vs rushing to open something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom