Boat ride might not be happening after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

djkidkaz

I think if anything Disney would push the boat ride back so avatar could open in 2017 and then they'd have the boat ride to advertise for 2018.

ToTBellHop

If it goes back to 2018 heads should roll.

7 years for a small land and two rides would be disgraceful. They'd be a laughing stock of the industry. Again.
Even at this point, I honestly cannot fathom that happening. I know the wiring for the land's lighting will be complex, but they have ride buildings and 2017 is still two years away. There is no reasonable way that shouldn't be enough time to build the land's theming. How long will DHS's work take if this is the pace for a relatively modest (but high quality) project? 2025 if we are lucky...

ToTBellHop

6 years is still laughable.

DHS should be done by late 2020. Which in itself is a joke but that's another discussion.
Let's just hope that's not 2020 in the same way Bob Iger thought AVATAR should be open in 2015. Then 2016. Then 2017.

I guess as long as it's good in the end...

Next Big Thing

6 years is still laughable.

DHS should be done by late 2020. Which in itself is a joke but that's another discussion.
Yeah, but that 6 years is starting from the announcement point, in which pretty much no R&D was done for the land at all. Had they not prematurely announced it and waited until maybe the 2013 Expo (construction started January 2014), it wouldn't seem so bad.

So if we are going from time construction started, it'll have taken 3-3.5 years. Still a long time, but it's a much fairer judgement. No one judges the Universal projects from the dates before they start construction.

ToTBellHop

Yeah, but that 6 years is starting from the announcement point, in which pretty much no R&D was done for the land at all. Had they not prematurely announced it and waited until maybe the 2013 Expo (construction started January 2014), it wouldn't seem so bad.

So if we are going from time construction started, it'll have taken 3-3.5 years. Still a long time, but it's a much fairer judgement. No one judges the Universal projects from the dates before they start construction.
With construction starting in 2014, a 2018 opening would be laughable and unprecedented, though. Let's hope it's not true.

Next Big Thing

With construction starting in 2014, a 2018 opening would be laughable and unprecedented, though. Let's hope it's not true.
Completely agreed. But as was discussed above, if it is going to be completely bio-luminescent, you can't just plant a bunch of trees and call it a day. You need to make it look like Pandora.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And should they want to drag Uni into it they should go to the dedicated thread.

3 years of planning?? Or 3 years of free lunches?

Or just time to remove the E?

BrianLo

I'm in the camp of the boat ride is definitely happening, but I'm not confident on when.

There is a distinct running trend in the Disney rumour community of things that were certainly true, at one time, getting brought up again and again as 'new'.

I have no doubt that at one point (circa early 2013) in the height of the bickering the project was cut down to 1 attraction and phased openings were discussed. The leaked floor plans we have with Soarin' and the boat ride definitely predate this, the boat ride has been certainly scrapped, then returned in a likely plussed format. Something happened to get Cameron's go-ahead, and it wasn't further cuts to the ride line-up.

What's hard to actually tell is if any of that is still an accurate rumour today or just the reality of 2013 constantly recirculating in the rumour mill. Certainly the indications from Disney since that time still support that there is indeed a boat ride. The sketchy responses may support a phased opening though.

As a side note, I don't bemoan the loss of the bike coaster. It makes thematically no sense and is probably inflated in the heads of those imagining it. Imagineers were throwing bike coasters at just about everything at the time with no rhyme or reason, I have a feeling it didn't get too far past a cocktail napkin stage... but of course we will hear about it for the next decade as the greatest thing that never was and just more evidence of 'value imagineering'.

schuelma

Well, it sounds like Imagineers still think its coming:

Link

"On the left is the boat ride. This was described by the Imagineers present as being like Pirates of the Caribbean, but I think they meant in that it was slow-moving rather than in terms of show scenes."

Disneyhead'71

1. It would be impossible to "cut the boat ride out of the model" and it not be painfully obvious. It is pretty much dead center in the back. Cutting it out would leave a big chunk in the middle missing.

2. They are showcasing concept art of the boat ride.

3. They have mentioned it at this D23.

All indications are that it is still happening. Now, if it will open with the rest of the land is the question. We will probably find out this evening.

And concerning project construction timelines. Avatar and Transformers were both aberrations. Large scale projects usually take 2-3 years from breaking ground. Diagon Alley took 2.5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom