Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

the-reason14

They aren't as energized as they are over something like this. We are 30-some-odd pages in (rest assured, Disney's social media dept will be reading over this thread if they aren't already!:kiss:)

I don't get the anger.

I personally don't like FP. I saw issues like this when Disney stole the idea from an old newsgroup dude who had posting for years that Disney needed a reservation system for its parks (yeah, he was nuts! and yeah, I totally believe some low-level exec just used all of his online info as 'research')

I believe the parks were better before and less crowded.

I've also gamed the system since Day 1 since Disney allowed people to do so (I am kinda shocked at how many here are claiming to never know they could get a 10 a.m. FP and use it at 11 p.m.).

I have no problem with Disney enforcing something that should have been enforced before. I also believe the one hour and 20 minute window should be fine for most people. But yeah, there will be some folks eating an overpriced, overrated steak at Le Cellier when their ToT window begins and they're going to have to use the old stand by line now. Sometimes life blows.

I just think most of the histrionics are much ado about little.

For all you folks that don't care about locals, or people who don't know where they want to have lunch on May 17th right now ... or enjoy planning more than taking an actual trip ... well, y'all should be very happy.

This is the direction WDW has been heading for a decade plus and, no, it isn't very MAGICal to me.

But I could deal with it ... if the parks weren't stale and attractions weren't falling apart and if they added a major attraction every 3-4 years and minor ones and new entertainment annually/seasonally.

Since they aren't doing so, I just kinda look at this and :snore:

Only thing I agree you with is them not adding new rides. That would take the sting out this or at the least make it better. But them setting it up to charge extra for something that's been free for so long is what bugs me most.

Anyways ya, those other negative threads about the yeti and broken AAs do get quite enough attention. It seems every negative thread does. Everyone's different, and while a few broken AAs and flickering light bulbs don't bother me enough to wanna go on strike, this change does.

twinnstar

Sorry if someone said this already - but what I'm wondering is, what about the people who arent on a Disney Board/Blog, or follow Disney news closely. I feel like people have been doing this for quite sometime, I think a lot of people will get angry when they find out they cant do this! Hopefully they will put some sort of sign at the fastpasses explaining the new rules.

there could be RIOTS!!! RIOTS, people, RIOTS! ;) hehe...:lol:

fosse76

We almost always try to use our FP's during the allotted time window. Sometimes things happen and we had to use them late. For example: Lunch at Le Cellier was scheduled for 1:45. Our FP was for 2:30-3:30. We didn't get done lunch until 3:45 due to waiting 25 minutes to get seated and slow service. We immediately rushed over to use our FPs after that. But once this policy changes and if something happens OUT OF MY CONTROL that causes me to miss my window, I'm going to be one VERY angry customer. Things happen... as many people have pointed out, rides break down.. dining goes longer than expected...

THIS is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. This is YOUR fault, not Disney's. You chose to get a FP with a return time that could very easily be missed due to your dining time. The return times are clearly marked before you even get a FP, and unless you've never eaten in a restaurant before, anyone with common sense would know that dining can easily be a two hour experience. Add to that the location of the dining and the nearest FP attraction, and it is clear that it would almost be impossible for you to have made the FP return window. Not Disney's fault. Entirely yours.

Also, at one point in our trip because we went when it was slow we had 3 sets of FP's (Space, Pooh and Splash) all valid for almost the same timeframe.
Again, not Disney's fault. You know before you get the FP what the current return window is, and you already had FPs telling you when to be back at the other attractions. So it's your own fault. You didn't have to get FP's for all of those, especially since they are nowhere near each other. If you can't make it back to the attraction within the window, don't get the pass. IF you get a FP for Space Mountain, why on earth would you head over to Splash Mountain knowing you might miss the return window for Space Moutnain?

If they had the option of selecting your timeframe, that would probably help cut down on the number of people getting FP's for times they cant use. It wouldn't be too hard. Select your timeframe and number of passes (9am-10am, 10am-11am, etc) once those FP's are gone for that allotted timeframe (say 9am-10am) then it would bump to 9:05am-10:05am (in keeping with the 5 minute increments they already use) Enter your park passes and print the tickets. Done and you have a time you know won't conflict with anything else (as long and you did it correctly)
Again, you already know BEFORE collecting a FP what the return time is. Even if people could pick their own own return time, they would still show up late, offering the same lame excuses that are being offered in this thread.

On a similar note, if they start cracking down on FP return times then they should crack down on dining reservation times as well. If your reservation is for 8:15am at Crystal Palace and you show up at 8:35, well then, too bad for you.
It's not exactly the same, as noted below.

You weren't there at your scheduled time. It's essentially the same thing as being on time for your FP's. You KNOW when you need to be there, then be there. Its not fair for other guests to have to wait because you were late.

But they don't. They actually get seated earlier. Disney doesn't hold the table for guests. So if you have 6pm ADR and haven't checked in, then other diners with ADRs who have checked-in will be seated. At an attraction, when people show up outside of the return time, standby guests wait longer.

For every group thats late for their ADR, it backs up the wait time that much more for people who do show up on time. Same thing with the FP's: for every person who uses their FP 4 hours later, it backs up the line for people who are waiting standby.

Again, it doesn't, because they don't hold tables. If you don't check-in, they pretty much ignore the reservation and move along.

DonaldDoleWhip

I have no problem with Disney enforcing something that should have been enforced before. I also believe the one hour and 20 minute window should be fine for most people. But yeah, there will be some folks eating an overpriced, overrated steak at Le Cellier when their ToT window begins and they're going to have to use the old stand by line now. Sometimes life blows.
Haha, I think the same thing when I read over all the yeti threads. AK is ruined because one animatronic that's too dark for most people to see for more than a half-second doesn't work. Talk about histrionics :ROFLOL:. We all have different priorities, I guess.

This whole thread is simply people moaning and whining like spoiled children because they can no longer do what they technically wheren't supposed to be doing anyway. Much like Disney's complacency with refillable mug use, FP return times weren't enforced because Disney doesn't want to confront guests, because in theory a happy guest is a guest who will spend more money.
Apples and oranges. CM's encouraged returning late - it was like a friendly little tip that they were giving out to people. That's how I found out about this even before I started using this website. On the other hand (with the exception of those mugs originally labelled as "forever" or something), CM's don't say it's okay to reuse mugs. I think it's pathetic how so many of you are trying to chastise people for something that was always permitted and often encouraged. The policy's changing. We'll adapt. There's no need to convict us and lock us up for what once happened.

Lee

Adventurer
Are you hinting that guests will have the option of selecting their return time or am I reading too much into this?

Reading way too much into it.
I was just saying that guests with ADRs may opt to forego getting FPs, thereby freeing some up for me.:D

38053WDW

THIS is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. This is YOUR fault, not Disney's. You chose to get a FP with a return time that could very easily be missed due to your dining time. The return times are clearly marked before you even get a FP, and unless you've never eaten in a restaurant before, anyone with common sense would know that dining can easily be a two hour experience. Add to that the location of the dining and the nearest FP attraction, and it is clear that it would almost be impossible for you to have made the FP return window. Not Disney's fault. Entirely yours.

Again, not Disney's fault. You know before you get the FP what the current return window is, and you already had FPs telling you when to be back at the other attractions. So it's your own fault. You didn't have to get FP's for all of those, especially since they are nowhere near each other. If you can't make it back to the attraction within the window, don't get the pass. IF you get a FP for Space Mountain, why on earth would you head over to Splash Mountain knowing you might miss the return window for Space Moutnain?

Again, you already know BEFORE collecting a FP what the return time is. Even if people could pick their own own return time, they would still show up late, offering the same lame excuses that are being offered in this thread.

It's not exactly the same, as noted below.

But they don't. They actually get seated earlier. Disney doesn't hold the table for guests. So if you have 6pm ADR and haven't checked in, then other diners with ADRs who have checked-in will be seated. At an attraction, when people show up outside of the return time, standby guests wait longer.

Again, it doesn't, because they don't hold tables. If you don't check-in, they pretty much ignore the reservation and move along.

Enough already with the common sense !! :hammer:

TalkingHead

Just wow ... if fans were as energized by Disney letting its parks fall apart and grow stale as they are in a small decision to actually enforce a rule that has always existed maybe there wouldn't be threads about dead AAs on Splash Mountain or Disco Yetis.

Like how in 24 hours this thread has more messages and only 10k fewer views than the Splash Mountain Apocalypse thread which has been going for weeks?

That's the Pixie Dust Nation for ya.

menamechris

That's my main problem. I don't think they are putting the guest experience first. In fact, I'm betting this is all motivated by money. Somewhere down the line, somehow, this will make them money. What if this is all just the beginning stages of getting a system prepared for some sort of optional PAY-FOR-FP system? I'll be interested to see how happy all you folks welcoming this change are THEN.

This. I didn't want to bring it up - but since you did....

Disney doesn't do anything for free. They have over a decade of people being accustomed to the FastPass system. With all the "enhancements" and NextGen - I completely look for FastPass to become a perk you pay for in the coming years - but with NextGen technology wrapped in with it to make it more appealing and justify the price and new charge.... Sure, Peter Pan will wave and say "hello" to your daughter by name - but only if you are using your pricey FastPass....

Lee

Adventurer
Sorry if someone said this already - but what I'm wondering is, what about the people who arent on a Disney Board/Blog, or follow Disney news closely. I feel like people have been doing this for quite sometime, I think a lot of people will get angry when they find out they cant do this! Hopefully they will put some sort of sign at the fastpasses explaining the new rules.

I actually think it will be kinda the opposite.
I expect it will be almost exclusively the hardcore fans, who post on boards and follow the parks closely that will be bothered by the change.

The average guest will likely, for the most part, not question it since based on the actual FP there is a closed window for use.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well here is an interesting scenario...

FP window during major show times (like say.. during Wishes)

Will savvy guests walk up and say 'oh that's during the fireworks, I don't want that window..' and then feel like they had to return later?

At the same time, people who didn't think ahead.. find their window during wishes.. and find it near impossible to cross the park.

These are periods the inexperienced may not really know what the MSEP or Wishes do to a place like the MK. I think this is a bit different then the 'I have an ADR' use case.

Then what if a majority of people become savvy.. and don't want to take those FPs... then the FP distribution may actually stall.. making it more difficult to get enough people to take FPs to move the return window later.

I think in practicality the blind mob will take the FPs without enough planning knowledge to know what times are worse due to things they may not even be participating in (Parade, Fireworks) so the window stalling may not really be an issue. But I can certainly see the window getting TIGHT for those that don't plan far enough ahead.

Extra reason IMO why the grace period should be like an hour. Minimizes risks like these.

38053WDW

I'm more worried about this "Univision and Disney in Talks for an English-Language News Channel" .... :mad: .. say it aint so Disney ....

DonaldDoleWhip

Well here is an interesting scenario...

FP window during major show times (like say.. during Wishes)

Will savvy guests walk up and say 'oh that's during the fireworks, I don't want that window..' and then feel like they had to return later?

At the same time, people who didn't think ahead.. find their window during wishes.. and find it near impossible to cross the park.

These are periods the inexperienced may not really know what the MSEP or Wishes do to a place like the MK. I think this is a bit different then the 'I have an ADR' use case.

Then what if a majority of people become savvy.. and don't want to take those FPs... then the FP distribution may actually stall.. making it more difficult to get enough people to take FPs to move the return window later.

I think in practicality the blind mob will take the FPs without enough planning knowledge to know what times are worse due to things they may not even be participating in (Parade, Fireworks) so the window stalling may not really be an issue. But I can certainly see the window getting TIGHT for those that don't plan far enough ahead.

Extra reason IMO why the grace period should be like an hour. Minimizes risks like these.
That sounds way too generous. Don't you understand anyone here? There should be no grace period at all. Stick with the numbers on the ticket, or else you're 'breaking the rules' (even if the rule says 5 minutes early or 15 minutes late is okay). In fact, down with fastpass! And boycott AK!!! :hammer:

Anyway, your post demonstrates that life will never be fair. The less savvy guests will always be disadvantaged...but as you pointed out earlier, if they're not going to work hard enough to become savvy and plan better, it's their problem. :wave:

Ugh, yuck. :mad: There are just too many variables to always ensure you get back EXACTLY on time! Between longer-than-expected wait times on another attraction, a meal taking longer than expected, "comfort and necessity" breaks (you know what I mean), kid meltdowns, getting distracted in a shop, getting tied up in a long line, getting waylaid by crowds and parade routes (sometimes making navigation a challenge), etc., etc., etc. there are so many reasons you might not make it back on time.

Seriously unhappy people ahead. Myself included.

Couldnt have said it better myself. I understand why you cant have guests coming back sooner than the given time... but only 15 minutes after?? ouch
Besides that.. at least it will be an easy transition. If in the future fast pass will be an exclusive to those willing to pay, the lines will be a mess. Fast pass is a big part of what keeps lines running smoothly.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Anyway, your post demonstrates that life will never be fair. The less savvy guests will always be disadvantaged...but as you pointed out earlier, if they're not going to work hard enough to become savvy and plan better, it's their problem. :wave:

But Disney should have compassion for legitimate examples of inexperienced guests.

I mean, as much as people mock the '3 oclock parade' question.. its quite legit. Unless you are familar with a Disney parade its not necessarily common knowledge how long it takes to reach a certain part of the route.

Doing something like having a system to accommodate and assist legitimate concerns is far different from people advocating the whole system is flawed and should be thrown out because 'its unfair' because you can find cases where people don't know about it. For those cases, Disney has gone through great lengths to advertise and assist guests in need. Disney educates and assists.

This is another area now where inexperience (or even experienced people too) have a bit of user trap. The post was what can/should Disney do to help mitigate that scenario.

It's a bit different from ADR because you planned ahead on knowing you had the ADR, and probably when you needed to 'leave' to get there. Here, parade and fireworks times are not set by you, so you may not be as familar with them without having to look it up. It probably is less on your mind when looking at a FP machine.

I just think it can lead to scenarios where FP is being under utilized for a period (ineffecient for Disney) while also increasing risk of ed off guests (bad for disney).

Good design studies potential failures and tries to mitigate or minimize them.

Rasvar

Couldnt have said it better myself. I understand why you cant have guests coming back sooner than the given time... but only 15 minutes after?? ouch
Besides that.. at least it will be an easy transition. If in the future fast pass will be an exclusive to those willing to pay, the lines will be a mess. Fast pass is a big part of what keeps lines running smoothly.

I will dispute that. I still think the lines ran smoother in the pre-fastpass days. You always knew your wait time based on size of line. No mystery of playing the FP ebb and flows. And based on my trip to Disneyland in January, FP can be an unadulterated mess. I agree with what a lot of folks say about DL giving more bang for the buck but it does has it own issues. In three days, I never saw so many e-ticket rides going 101 at various times. I will say that aspect is a lot less prevalent at WDW.

I also agree with those who think the grace period should be larger. 45 minutes to an hour does not seem totally unreasonable. Probably optimal. I am hoping that they will experiment with this time structure. With that said, I already have a vacation set that goes thru March 7. So I will mass hoard one more night and then play by the new rules the next day.:p

ParentsOf4

I'm one of those who's rather indifferent about the FP policy change. I see pros and cons. In the end, I think these come out equal. IMHO, the new policy is neither better or worse, just different.

However, what I cannot understand is the view that the old policy (i.e. allowing the FP to be used for the rest of the day) was somehow "unfair" to those who didn't know about it. I accept that those who did not know about it were at a disadvantage. However, I don't see this as "unfair". Especially in the age of the Internet, FP information is readily available. I'm sure there are many people who arrive at WDW and don't even what a FP is. (I just met one on my most recent WDW vacation. They were actually buying a one-day ticket at the gate each time they went to the parks!) I don't see why it's "unfair" that some people (including, I suspect, nearly everyone who posts on this website) take the time to research their vacation and learn everything they can before they go. Aren't these people simply better planners; shouldn't they benefit from their extra planning? If someone hasn't bothered to research the FP system before they arrive and is reading about it for the first time on the back of their FP ticket, then that's too bad for them.

DisneyJoe

Customer perceptions and expectations change over the years. At this point in time, many Disney travelers couldn't imagine the park without fastpass, because it creates the perception of waiting in less lines. I'm sure a lot of guests feel entitled to it now, and threatening to remove it would certainly hurt Disney (even if a few people would appreciate the move).

MOST park visitors don't even know that FastPass exists!!!

Buried20KLeague

I will dispute that. I still think the lines ran smoother in the pre-fastpass days. You always knew your wait time based on size of line. No mystery of playing the FP ebb and flows. And based on my trip to Disneyland in January, FP can be an unadulterated mess. I agree with what a lot of folks say about DL giving more bang for the buck but it does has it own issues. In three days, I never saw so many e-ticket rides going 101 at various times. I will say that aspect is a lot less prevalent at WDW.

It may we be that the reason for more 101's in DL is because of a different operating standard. Something that causes a closure in DL could very well remain broken while the ride continues to run at WDW.

Case in point: The finale riverboat in splash. No way the attraction stays open like that in DL, while at WDW it was open for days in that condition.

BUZZCRUSH

I guess we were the dummies who followed the rules this whole time. Had no idea you could push the limits that late, we even had a nguy at test track not let us in a few minutes early a few years ago. So we really don't care and can't believe anyon does either.

Captain Chaos

They aren't as energized as they are over something like this. We are 30-some-odd pages in (rest assured, Disney's social media dept will be reading over this thread if they aren't already!:kiss:)

I don't get the anger.

I personally don't like FP. I saw issues like this when Disney stole the idea from an old newsgroup dude who had posting for years that Disney needed a reservation system for its parks (yeah, he was nuts! and yeah, I totally believe some low-level exec just used all of his online info as 'research')

I believe the parks were better before and less crowded.

I've also gamed the system since Day 1 since Disney allowed people to do so (I am kinda shocked at how many here are claiming to never know they could get a 10 a.m. FP and use it at 11 p.m.).

I just think most of the histrionics are much ado about little.

For all you folks that don't care about locals, or people who don't know where they want to have lunch on May 17th right now ... or enjoy planning more than taking an actual trip ... well, y'all should be very happy.

This is the direction WDW has been heading for a decade plus and, no, it isn't very MAGICal to me.

But I could deal with it ... if the parks weren't stale and attractions weren't falling apart and if they added a major attraction every 3-4 years and minor ones and new entertainment annually/seasonally.

Since they aren't doing so, I just kinda look at this and :snore:

Leave it to 74... :lol:

Well, if they aren't reading Disney news and not posting on threads, then they probably didn't know the policy was never enforced...

I'll dispute this with something that happened to me this past trip... My friend and I walked over to RNRC... Saw the FP return time was way later in the evening... We said no because it would interfere with Fantasmic, and we wanted to see Fantasmic (see, we made the choice of what was more important to us like others will have to do with FP and ADRs, but whatever)... We decided to wait the 45 minutes on Standby... We finally get tot he front of the line by the CM, and we were stopped... OK, so we were waiting, and waiting, and waiting... No movement... two people walked into the FP line and were let right in... And then more waiting, and waiting, and waiting... After about 15 - 20 minutes, I asked the CM what was going on... he told me "we have to let FP in first..." i said "I am not sure you noticed but only 2 people have come up through FP in the last half hour and yet we are still standing here.." He responded "well, we have to wait and let FP in first." We easily waited over an hour for a ride and why???? Because of FP... so no, FP does not make the lines smoother, it makes things worse...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom