Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

pax_65

Having to wait over an hour for a popular attraction should not seen like an unnecessary burden. Maybe expectations are off on what waits should be?

I've been visited WDW every year since 1992, and I've never waited over an hour for an attraction. That's not to say I didn't see wait times of 90 minutes at Soarin', TSM, Splash, Space and Everest, but I didn't get in those lines.

In the past, there was always a way to work around that line if you were patient (wait for FP) or smart (go early in the morning another day). I'm concerned that it will now take $$$ to bypass that line, which I find to be a sad development.

Either way, it affects the value of my vacation. Either I pay the extra $$$ to avoid the line (making my vacation more expensive) or I skip the attraction entirely (making the vacation experience less valuable). That's why I'm so concerned about how this change is implemented.

There are a number of factors that have lessened the value of my WDW vacation in recent years. This has the potential to be one more thing - but a rather big thing. So it has the real potential to reduce my WDW trips. Maybe I'll go less often but buy X-Passes for everything I want to do.

On the bright side, if enough people change their WDW trips, the lines won't be as much of a problem. :lol:

Buried20KLeague

What years are you talking about?

The best years that I can remember were right after 911, but ADR's were in use then.

I'm talking about the mid-90's, personally. Like, 92-96.

I get that times change, and crowds are bigger, etc... But it's the advent of the DDP (more importantly the FREE DDP) and the ADR's that's been the real culprit.

jme

What a mess. If a fast pass for an attraction is an hour out (i.e. its noon, and my return time is 1-2) that makes the fast pass effectively useless.
I could either: A get in stand by which is probably 45-60 minutes anyway, or do what it is designed for and visit other attractions in the mean time and come back later. Except I can't, because there's no way I can trek across the entire park get in another standby line (since my FP is active and I can't get another one), and ride, and trek back in time to meet my window.
This system will make for more idly standing around "not in line" waiting for my turn to get in line. Sure, not so much an issue for "next gen" fast pass systems like Dumbo where I can play in the queue until my turn is up. But most rides don't have that luxury (or space to accommodate that luxury).

DonaldDoleWhip

Yes, but there is also reason involved. Customers with unreasonable expectations are still going to be unreasonable.

I've walked out of the park before with many unused FPs. I never felt crushed that I never got to use them.. more of 'oh I could have done XYZ again.. hrmm.. oh well' and they go in my drawer of randomly saved objects.

I mean even to use your pool example. Are you going to make yourself suffer and ride that ride one more time while you are miserable... just because you don't want to waste that FP? No, you're going to look at the 'value' of that FP and decide its far less valuable then your alternative.

If it were their favorite ride, they would prioritize it accordingly. Rarely is there any situation in the parks where you can't ride an attraction because you don't have FP. You just need to decide what is important to you. Is it ride 3 more rides, or ride this 'favorite ride'?

I think you are exaggerating these negatives way too much. Waiting in standby is not like being sentanced to Turkish prison or something. It's waiting in what are the world's best designed queues building anticipation to what you're already described as 'their favorite ride'.

If waiting in standby is so vile to make the ride not worth it.. maybe the ride isn't really that good.

Not having a FP or failing to use one... is not keeping anyone off an attraction.. especially their 'favorite' one.
I've also brought home plenty of FP's. In fact, each trip I usually have a few from each park that I just never felt like using. So honestly...you win. :) I'm not going to care too much about the change. Maybe once each trip, I'll be slightly annoyed by it. But having unused FP's has never bothered me that much before.

All I can say is :ROFLOL:
What was so funny about my post?

Buried20KLeague

I've been visited WDW every year since 1992, and I've never waited over an hour for an attraction. That's not to say I didn't see wait times of 90 minutes at Soarin', TSM, Splash, Space and Everest, but I didn't get in those lines.

In the past, there was always a way to work around that line if you were patient (wait for FP) or smart (go early in the morning another day). I'm concerned that it will now take $$$ to bypass that line, which I find to be a sad development.

Either way, it affects the value of my vacation. Either I pay the extra $$$ to avoid the line (making my vacation more expensive) or I skip the attraction entirely (making the vacation experience less valuable). That's why I'm so concerned about how this change is implemented.

There are a number of factors that have lessened the value of my WDW vacation in recent years. This has the potential to be one more thing - but a rather big thing. So it has the real potential to reduce my WDW trips. Maybe I'll go less often but buy X-Passes for everything I want to do.

On the bright side, if enough people change their WDW trips, the lines won't be as much of a problem. :lol:

My educated guess is that for a while they'll tie the extra benefits to guests staying on-site with no additional cost. That would get people to stay in their hotels, and also get people hooked on the extra benefits.

Then eventually they'll start offering those benefits with an upcharge, AND only if you stay on site. You'll be using their rooms, and they'll make money on top of that.

There will probably be something available for local AP's too... But I could see it being a little more expensive that way because they wouldn't be getting a hotel stay out of you.

Just a hunch. :shrug:

WDW1974

Just wow ... if fans were as energized by Disney letting its parks fall apart and grow stale as they are in a small decision to actually enforce a rule that has always existed maybe there wouldn't be threads about dead AAs on Splash Mountain or Disco Yetis.

BTW, Disney just issued first quarter results for 2012. Bob Iger had that evil smarmy grin in an interview on CNBC ... he probably had just been scanning this thread on his iPad!

babydonald

Sad for Families esp. with Small children

To me this is a great advantage to be able to ride popular rides. This is a recipe for disaster. Disney Parks are a welcoming place for families. I for one really enjoy the luxury of returning at my convenience. We would never ride Toy Story Mania or Peter Pan without it. It is difficult to get a Fastpass for Toy Story Mania and now I need to wait and see what time I can return after nap but before dinner to ride. The other option is to wait in line and have everyone listen to my husband and my children complain and be restless. Fastpass, as it is today, allows many families with children and option to stay sane. Life is difficult enough but this is more work to coordinate for many families. We likely will not renew our annual passes this year. This decision probably adds 2 hours to my vacation day and not fun ones.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What a mess. If a fast pass for an attraction is an hour out (i.e. its noon, and my return time is 1-2) that makes the fast pass effectively useless.

Well this is another edge case.

If FP return is only an hour away.. there isn't much demand for the attraction. Like the MINIMIUM FP return window is 45mins (+/-). If it's less then an hour out, you'll probably just get in the standby line to start with because it's not going to be big.

I could either: A get in stand by which is probably 45-60 minutes anyway, or do what it is designed for and visit other attractions in the mean time and come back later. Except I can't, because there's no way I can trek across the entire park get in another standby line (since my FP is active and I can't get another one), and ride, and trek back in time to meet my window.

I'm sorry, are attractions only located on opposite ends of the park?

If we need to exaggerate to make the point work.. then maybe it's not really a concern.

Second, given your example of a one hour return window.. You actually have 2hours and 15mins from now to ride something. You can't find something to ride and be finished in that amount of time?

tracyandalex

we have enjoyed the lax enforcement of the return times in the past, but I will reserve judgement on this new enforcement until I see where Disney is going with this.

71jason

This system will make for more idly standing around "not in line" waiting for my turn to get in line.

Bold = not quite. The original idea was always that you'd peruse the nearest gift shop or grab a turkey leg or something else quick, not that you ride rides. The fact that the "regulars" have found a way to game the system since doesn't change the original intent, which was to make money.

38053WDW

That's key. It's all about expectations. The presence of fastpass has made lots of people feel like they don't have to wait for the most popular attractions. I certainly don't want to. Plus, with the era of smartphones, people want instant gratification. They don't want to wait and be bored for a whole hour of their precious vacation.

As such, by forcing people to wait in the regular line or miss their favorite ride, people will be disappointed. How many, I don't know.
Yea wait in line and actually have a "Conversation" ..nope most will be in line on their cell phones checking FB or WDW Forums ;) .. I'm with you on that "instant gratification" .. how did we ever make it as kids in the 70's without this technology :eek: !! We talked.. we ran.. we wre on "our" time .. we weren't me me me ....

Ignohippo

Hilarious. I've been a Passholder for years and had no idea you could show up later in the day. Wow, that would've been really convenient!!

We've always shown up on time, so it makes no difference to us. Hopefully, it'll mean less people redeeming them and shorter lines. I'm more than fine with the change in policy.

Honestly, I have never been affected by the Fastpass window. I truly never knew that you could use them outside of their window. I have been going every year since 1999 and if I missed my fastpass window I always just took it home or threw it away. The window is there for a reason and that is to make sure people with the fastpasses get right on. Maybe this will ease up on TSM during some parts of the day. I applaud Disney and really hope they stick to their guns hear and actually enforce this policy strictly.

the-reason14

Just wow ... if fans were as energized by Disney letting its parks fall apart and grow stale as they are in a small decision to actually enforce a rule that has always existed maybe there wouldn't be threads about dead AAs on Splash Mountain or Disco Yetis.

BTW, Disney just issued first quarter results for 2012. Bob Iger had that evil smarmy grin in an interview on CNBC ... he probably had just been scanning this thread on his iPad!

But that's the thing, most are. That's why there were threads as highly discussed as this one about the broken splash AAs and a new yeti thread pops up every month it seems. Most people are noticing, and small things add up real quick.

Stellajack

FASTPASS-Past, Present, and Future

Market Pulse Archives

Feb. 7, 2012, 4:27 p.m. EST

Disney profit rises 12% on ESPN, theme parks

Today's close was 40.98!

Considering all the differing opinions re the use of FastPass, it seems that this is the bottom line.

Walt Disney Company is out to draw national and international families to their theme parks and entertainment options. I believe they can withstand what someone in this thread referred to as a FP "uprising" [I'm curious as to what that would actually look like.] :wave:

WDW1974

But that's the thing, most are. That's why there were threads as highly discussed as this one about the broken splash AAs and a new yeti thread pops up every month it seems. Most people are noticing, and small things add up real quick.

They aren't as energized as they are over something like this. We are 30-some-odd pages in (rest assured, Disney's social media dept will be reading over this thread if they aren't already!:kiss:)

I don't get the anger.

I personally don't like FP. I saw issues like this when Disney stole the idea from an old newsgroup dude who had posting for years that Disney needed a reservation system for its parks (yeah, he was nuts! and yeah, I totally believe some low-level exec just used all of his online info as 'research')

I believe the parks were better before and less crowded.

I've also gamed the system since Day 1 since Disney allowed people to do so (I am kinda shocked at how many here are claiming to never know they could get a 10 a.m. FP and use it at 11 p.m.).

I have no problem with Disney enforcing something that should have been enforced before. I also believe the one hour and 20 minute window should be fine for most people. But yeah, there will be some folks eating an overpriced, overrated steak at Le Cellier when their ToT window begins and they're going to have to use the old stand by line now. Sometimes life blows.

I just think most of the histrionics are much ado about little.

For all you folks that don't care about locals, or people who don't know where they want to have lunch on May 17th right now ... or enjoy planning more than taking an actual trip ... well, y'all should be very happy.

This is the direction WDW has been heading for a decade plus and, no, it isn't very MAGICal to me.

But I could deal with it ... if the parks weren't stale and attractions weren't falling apart and if they added a major attraction every 3-4 years and minor ones and new entertainment annually/seasonally.

Since they aren't doing so, I just kinda look at this and :snore:

fosse76

I'm actually against this change for two simple reasons: It's a pain for CMs because we have to be stricter than we are currently, which causes guests to be upset.

Too bad. That's your job. Disney placates too many "rule-breakers" as it is simply to avoid being confrontational. Guests get upset when they don't get their way, and the truth is they don't always deserve to get their way. This is a free service. They can get over it.

It also stinks for guests who made dinner reservations and now can't use their fastpasses that they got earlier in the day. This will cause them to get angry and take out their frustration on the CMs at Fastpass Return.

Again, that's their problem. The FP return time is CLEARLY stated before you even get a FP, so it's their own fault for getting the FP they might not make because they have a reservation too close to the return window. As far as getting upset with the CM, perhaps Disney should staff security or a manager at each FP entrance until the policy is more settled.

The whole thought about if you can't commit to the time allotted, don't get the Fastpass sounds good in theory, but in reality it won't work out that easily because most park guests either don't think about that aspect or don't speak English and don't understand.

That's not an excuse. If they were able to catch their flight, they can get to the FP queue during the printed time on the ticket.

It just sounds like it's going to be a lot of hassle, especially at first and it sounds like it will cause more problems than it will help.

The FPs clearly state the return time. The only people who will get upset with this are the people who wait until much later to use their FPs, because they know the CMs will honor them. A lot of guests have bno idea you can return at any time, and the truth is if Disney had enforced the return window at the beginning this wouldn't be an issue now.

I could be completely wrong and I hope I am for everyone's sake, but simply by taking real life everyday experiences and logic, I don't think this is a good idea.
So I guess people can show whenever they want to an airport and get on any plane going to their destination. Or the movies and expect to get into any screening you want. Try getting a dinner reservation at a real restaurant (i.e., not one in a theme park) and see if they will seat you if you are even a half-hour late.

This whole thread is simply people moaning and whining like spoiled children because they can no longer do what they technically wheren't supposed to be doing anyway. Much like Disney's complacency with refillable mug use, FP return times weren't enforced because Disney doesn't want to confront guests, because in theory a happy guest is a guest who will spend more money.

WDW1974

Market Pulse Archives

Feb. 7, 2012, 4:27 p.m. EST

Disney profit rises 12% on ESPN, theme parks

Today's close was 40.98!

Considering all the differing opinions re the use of FastPass, it seems that this is the bottom line.

Walt Disney Company is out to draw national and international families to their theme parks and entertainment options. I believe they can withstand what someone in this thread referred to as a FP "uprising" [I'm curious as to what that would actually look like.] :wave:

There's a thread going on down on the Disney Co Business Board about this ... but it barely has a pulse because it isn't about FP useage.

I don't believe the term FastPass was mentioned by Bob Iger once ... of course, I also didn't hear him say WDW either.

WDW1974

This whole thread is simply people moaning and whining like spoiled children because they can no longer do what they technically wheren't supposed to be doing anyway. Much like Disney's complacency with refillable mug use, FP return times weren't enforced because Disney doesn't want to confront guests, because in theory a happy guest is a guest who will spend more money.

Hey ... leave us loud and proud and out there soda thieves out of this.

Totally different subject and one where Disney tried (and did) change the policy years after having another that they'd like to conveniently forget.

~You Let Me Fill My 1997 Mug ... Or I'll Cut Ya Bad!:drevil:~

Jeffxz

Know what's funny?
It never occurred to me to use a FP after it's window. Never. ( Not that it's a bad thing...)

That's why this policy change will only help me. Like if I go to Epcot and there are FPs available at Soarin between, say 12-2 because lots of guests with lunchtime ADRs opted not to take them.

It honestly has no downside for me at all. Probably a benefit of my "fast and loose" way of visiting parks. No ADRs, no young 'uns, etc.
:shrug:

Are you hinting that guests will have the option of selecting their return time or am I reading too much into this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom