Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

wilkeliza

This just means I'll look at my fastpass times a litter more carefully now. I tend to stick as close to the times as possible but I have been known to pick up fastpasses people have thrown on the ground because they think they are not valid and use them at later times.

I'm having a hard time with everyone who says if your window is 30 minutes away you wouldn't be able to enjoy another ride in that area. The example I came up with follows: It is 11:30 am your fast pass for Space Mountain is 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm. You could easily go over to Buzz which say it is summer so buzz is running at 60 minutes. Buzz's sign was a little off it actually takes you 75 minutes to get through the ride. Say it took you 5 minutes to get to Buzz in the first place. You would have 10 minutes left on the actually fast pass window to get to Space Mountain and the extra 15 minutes would allow you to have 25 minutes to get over to Space Mountain. Heck that is even enough time for a bath room break.

I really don't think this whole charging for next gen fast passes stuff is true though. Maybe the booking time slots before you arrive but one of the perks of Disney is free fast passes and I'm sure there would be a lot bigger uproar if they started charging for it all the sudden. I know for one I wouldn't use it and would probably end up suffering through 90 minute waits to save the money thus meaning less time I would have to browse shops or eat and losing Disney even more revenue.

Timekeeper

This could promote more print-at-home counterfeit passes, so long as Disney is not scanning barcodes or other information that can't be forged.

flynnibus

Premium Member
MOST park visitors don't even know that FastPass exists!!!

Only if MOST park visitors were blind and deaf and illiterate. While many may not know what it is to start, they are certainly aware of it's existence, and will figure out it's use soon enough by simply looking at their map, or asking any CM near those mysterious boxes under the big signs they don't know what they are. And then it's no longer a problem for them..

It's this type of exaggeration that really makes discussions petty. MOST guests? come on..

flynnibus

Premium Member
It may we be that the reason for more 101's in DL is because of a different operating standard. Something that causes a closure in DL could very well remain broken while the ride continues to run at WDW.

No, their shutdowns during the day are generally due to safety or breakdowns - not show effects. Rides cascading, people tripping safety sensors, free objects tripping safety sensors, etc.

flynnibus

Premium Member
After about 15 - 20 minutes, I asked the CM what was going on... he told me "we have to let FP in first..." i said "I am not sure you noticed but only 2 people have come up through FP in the last half hour and yet we are still standing here.." He responded "well, we have to wait and let FP in first." We easily waited over an hour for a ride and why???? Because of FP... so no, FP does not make the lines smoother, it makes things worse...

If this were true.. they would be running empty trains for 20mins? I don't think so. I think you have a misunderstanding between the question and the answer.

They need to let FP through first, yes. But that may not have explained your backup at that time.

They wouldn't be running empty trains without asking the merge guy 'where is everyone?'

DisneyJoe

Only if MOST park visitors were blind and deaf and illiterate. While many may not know what it is to start, they are certainly aware of it's existence, and will figure out it's use soon enough by simply looking at their map, or asking any CM near those mysterious boxes under the big signs they don't know what they are. And then it's no longer a problem for them..

It's this type of exaggeration that really makes discussions petty. MOST guests? come on..

Ever have dozens of people yell at you when you go thru the fastpass line? Come up to you and ask where they should buy their front of the line passes for WDW? Ask you to quote a MYW package and don't forget to include the fees for Fastpasses?

There are many more than you realize.

Most online Disney forum guests - no.

Most non-online forum internet Disney guests - yes - I'd bet its more than half, if not much more.

I'd say that 3/4 of my new Disney clients have no clue about Fastpass or how to use it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ever have dozens of people yell at you when you go thru the fastpass line? Come up to you and ask where they should buy their front of the line passes for WDW? Ask you to quote a MYW package and don't forget to include the fees for Fastpasses?

There are many more than you realize.

Most online Disney forum guests - no.

Most non-online forum internet Disney guests - yes - I'd bet its more than half, if not much more.

No actually. But I have helped explain to people when they can get passes or not. They knew of the system, just not it's ins and outs. I mean you gotta be pretty blind to not see it in the park maps or on most of the major attractions.

People may not understand the queue layouts - but again, not be aware of FP at all? And half of the people in WDW in that category? No way.

I encounter plenty of people in the non-forum world that when they return from WDW they praise FP. I've never spoken to ANYONE after returning from a WDW trip who wasn't aware of FP.

I don't know the return visitor breakdown at Disney, but I bet it's high.

llrain

Too bad this will have no affect on the people who block the entrance to the fast pass for 10 minutes before their ticket goes into effect when people like myself are courteous and arrive when I am supposed, or stand out of the way until its my time so people can get by.
This should be enforced during this Fastpass makeover.

DonaldDoleWhip

Too bad this will have no affect on the people who block the entrance to the fast pass for 10 minutes before their ticket goes into effect when people like myself are courteous and arrive when I am supposed, or stand out of the way until its my time so people can get by.
This should be enforced during this Fastpass makeover.
Disney isn't punishing those people - instead, those same people will now be able to board 5 minutes early. I can only imagine how that'll drive people crazy here. :ROFLOL:

DisneyJoe

I mean you gotta be pretty blind to not see it in the park maps or on most of the major attractions.

Next time you are in a park, take a random sampling of guests - walk up to them and ask them what Fastpass is - I bet you will be surprised by their answers.

Captain Chaos

If this were true.. they would be running empty trains for 20mins? I don't think so. I think you have a misunderstanding between the question and the answer.

They need to let FP through first, yes. But that may not have explained your backup at that time.

They wouldn't be running empty trains without asking the merge guy 'where is everyone?'

There was a long line inside the building... This was outside before entering the "recording studio". When we entered, we encountered a long wait... which is part of the reason the wait was over an hour despite the wait time saying 45 minutes... And yes, we were standing out there for a good 20 minutes..

Uncle Lupe

I have to say I did take advantage of the stacking ability of FP's. Get ones in the morning to use them later in the day when you really need them. I do like the idea of the standby line not grinding to a complete halt due to fast pass lines.

EOD K9

Ok, time for me to jump back in. How many of you still keep old room keys in your wallet or purse? I used to. When FP first came out, I would use my old room keys to use FP and it would work. When they caught on and killed it, I sucked it up and dealt with it.
Those that use FP late, good for you, but realize, you'll have to work within the system now. It's not the end of the world. Some of you do realize that and I commend you for it. It's the game and you're playing it. As far as the enforcement policy, if that's what they choose to do, at some point, regardless of past practice, policy will change. We can't go around saying "this is what you did and you can't change it".
Here's a cop example....we had a highway speed of 60 mph, due to numerous accidents on that stretch they knocked it down to 45. For the first month, we wrote warning tickets. Those speeders would say, " But it used to be 60". You are correct. It's 45 from now on, please slow down. Additionally, I give people 11 over the speed limit as I realize not all cars are calibrated they same. Point being, I'm sure CMs would use discretion with late arrivals.
If this is the policy they want to enforce, we'll deal with it and move on. There are much more things to be stressed about. Let's not stress about vacationing. Have a Magical Day!!

Don't make me send my dog!!
Sign here and press hard, you're making three copies.

NewfieFan

Well, if they aren't reading Disney news and not posting on threads, then they probably didn't know the policy was never enforced...

Not quite true... I'm the only nerd in this neck of the woods and I've had lots of people say to me after they got back from their first trip, "Did you know you can use expired FPs!?!" And then they go on to pass this advice to other first timers as some great secret of WDW (which I guess it kind of is to newbies). So people know about it... not just us *cough*geeks*cough*!

I've read a lot of this thread and then I got bored. I can't believe the sheer the number of people who have called names (scammers, cheats, abusers, etc.) and thrown insults. In the past this was NOT a rule... now it is! Before I could "abuse" system and it was ok! And yes, it was ok! I don't care what time was printed on the ticket, if a CM told me I was allowed to enter the queue after my return time then I was allowed - plain and simple!

I personally used FP the way it was "suppose" to be used... with the exception of Soarin' (sometimes Test Track) and TSMM. Those return times were just too far in the future to plan where you're going to be. TSMM is a hard one b/c there's so many shows to work around at DHS. Soarin' is awful b/c you're at the other of the park by the time your return time comes around. And I wish people would get off their high horses! Come on, telling people it's simple and just check your watch and blah, blah, blah. If you've ever been to Disney you know time can slip you by. WDW is an alternate universe anyway where time moves quicker or slower (depending on your activity at the time). Throw in a large group/family traveling together or some small kids and it's a wonder you know what year you're in let alone what time of day it is!!! I've had ADRs sneak up on me and those times are permanently embedded into my brain (b/c I made them months ago and now I might get a credit card charge if I don't show up for one). So having a FP time slip your mind that you picked up that morning is not that far fetched people! Some of you make it sound that those of us that can't make it back on time are either stupid or con artists!

Frankly, I think they should give a two hour window. That's much more reasonable at a place like WDW (where so many factors are NOT under our control). It would give people time to get out of lunch (if they were delayed), it would give time for a parade to pass by (if you got stuck by one), it would give you time to get from one side of the park to another without having to clip other people's heels with your stroller (sorry, couldn't resist), etc.

DonaldDoleWhip

Not quite true... I'm the only nerd in this neck of the woods and I've had lots of people say to me after they got back from their first trip, "Did you know you can use expired FPs!?!" And then they go on to pass this advice to other first timers as some great secret of WDW (which I guess it kind of is to newbies). So people know about it... not just us *cough*geeks*cough*!

I've read a lot of this thread and then I got bored. I can't believe the sheer the number of people who have called names (scammers, cheats, abusers, etc.) and thrown insults. In the past this was NOT a rule... now it is! Before I could "abuse" system and it was ok! And yes, it was ok! I don't care what time was printed on the ticket, if a CM told me I was allowed to enter the queue after my return time then I was allowed - plain and simple!

I personally used FP the way it was "suppose" to be used... with the exception of Soarin' (sometimes Test Track) and TSMM. Those return times were just too far in the future to plan where you're going to be. TSMM is a hard one b/c there's so many shows to work around at DHS. Soarin' is awful b/c you're at the other of the park by the time your return time comes around. And I wish people would get off their high horses! Come on, telling people it's simple and just check your watch and blah, blah, blah. If you've ever been to Disney you know time can slip you by. WDW is an alternate universe anyway where time moves quicker or slower (depending on your activity at the time). Throw in a large group/family traveling together or some small kids and it's a wonder you know what year you're in let alone what time of day it is!!! I've had ADRs sneak up on me and those times are permanently embedded into my brain (b/c I made them months ago and now I might get a credit card charge if I don't show up for one). So having a FP time slip your mind that you picked up that morning is not that far fetched people! Some of you make it sound that those of us that can't make it back on time are either stupid or con artists!

Frankly, I think they should give a two hour window. That's much more reasonable at a place like WDW (where so many factors are NOT under our control). It would give people time to get out of lunch (if they were delayed), it would give time for a parade to pass by (if you got stuck by one), it would give you time to get from one side of the park to another without having to clip other people's heels with your stroller (sorry, couldn't resist), etc.
I wish more people were as reasonable and understanding as you. :)

Rasvar

It may we be that the reason for more 101's in DL is because of a different operating standard. Something that causes a closure in DL could very well remain broken while the ride continues to run at WDW.

Case in point: The finale riverboat in splash. No way the attraction stays open like that in DL, while at WDW it was open for days in that condition.

Most of the 101's were malfunctions in the ride. Indy (notorious), the boats in Pirates kept getting stuck for some reason. It was 101 at least five different times in three days. Operator error caused the e-stop on Space Mountain. I do think that California has a higher level of regulations and probably force that a bit more. And there were a ton of inop characters in DL's Splash Mountain too. Probably a good 20%. Not as bad as the riverboat, though.

DonaldDoleWhip

Oh my, you are soooooo right. I wonder who is going to be the first person to start a thread complaining about the new "5 minutes early" FP policy!
"They're breaking the rules! I'm annoyed because I didn't know I could use my FP 5 minutes early, so they had an unfair advantage! And what about the system, this isn't how it's supposed to work!!! Grrrrrr" :sohappy:

NewfieFan

I wish more people were as reasonable and understanding as you. :)

I know! The world would be a better place! :animwink:

:lookaroun

Seriously, I just voted in the poll... and I voted "No"! I'm ok with them putting a stop to people using their FPs hours later and those that stock up and use them later in the day. I just think they went too hard, too fast. They went from, "Sure you can come back after to supper!" to "I don't care if you were stuck on Pirates for the last half an hour your FP is expired!" I really think the two hour window would be better for all involved and wouldn't be such a shock to all those "abusers", "scammers", and all the other evil tourists that have used expired FPs in the past.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom