Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

DonaldDoleWhip

I know! The world would be a better place! :animwink:

:lookaroun

Seriously, I just voted in the poll... and I voted "No"! I'm ok with them putting a stop to people using their FPs hours later and those that stock up and use them later in the day. I just think they went too hard, too fast. They went from, "Sure you can come back after to supper!" to "I don't care if you were stuck on Pirates for the last half an hour your FP is expired!" I really think the two hour window would be better for all involved and wouldn't be such a shock to all those "abusers", "scammers", and all the other evil tourists that have used expired FPs in the past.
Agreed - I don't think Disney will actually change the plan, but your suggestion sounds quite reasonable to me.

Alternatively - if Disney decides to keep what they've already selected (5 minute/15 minute grace period), why not just change the return window to 1 hour and 20 minutes? That would be much more straightforward and clear than the new grace period.

Rasvar

Wait! Wait! I have it! For a quarter, there will be a special Fastpass machine to reset the time on your fastpass for the ride. :drevil:

BuzzGoofy

I read a large chunk of this thread when I noticed it yesterday. I didn't notice the poll until just now, so I voted. My vote went to the yes answer. I have only been to the World three times, so I don't have the experience of many on here. My take on this issue is that I have always been able to meet the times printed on the Fastpass. If the cast members allowed fast pass use after the return time, so be it. I do not have a problem with them enforcing the return times, but I do see that there are circumstances where it would be difficult to return in the designated time.

Rasvar

Agreed - I don't think Disney will actually change the plan, but your suggestion sounds quite reasonable to me.

Alternatively - if Disney decides to keep what they've already selected (5 minute/15 minute grace period), why not just change the return window to 1 hour and 20 minutes? That would be much more straightforward and clear than the new grace period.

It makes sense on the surface but changing the time actually changes the mathematical algorithm. It is easier to assume a certain number of late and early based on an hour. I would guess that around 80-90% of the FP on any given day are used in the window. Probably 3-5% are unused and then the remainder would be out of window. If you open the window, you will need to recalibrate the entire FP system with a new time algorithm that would take a bit of time to fine tune. The change probably only affects around 10-15% of all FP in a given day and I think that number is high.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You know this how??

Because there are plenty of CMs who like to post on forums that usually give everyone the inside story on why an attraction was down on said day.

They generally aren't out there fixing show effects during the day - they too want the operational capacity like WDW does. Most e-stops are due to guest load/unload issues and foreign objects (or stupid guests) tripping safety systems.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Next time you are in a park, take a random sampling of guests - walk up to them and ask them what Fastpass is - I bet you will be surprised by their answers.

I get that as a travel agent you may see many more people 'before' they get to the park. But once you are there, its pretty hard to ignore the signs and the fact FP is printed huge on the back of every park map.. never mind Disney's pre-trip materials, website, spiels on transportation,etc.

If you manage to get around WDW never seeing FP.. take off the blinders. I get people may not come in prepared, but it takes quite an introvert to not notice it once you've been there for a day or two.

Rasvar

Because there are plenty of CMs who like to post on forums that usually give everyone the inside story on why an attraction was down on said day.

They generally aren't out there fixing show effects during the day - they too want the operational capacity like WDW does. Most e-stops are due to guest load/unload issues and foreign objects (or stupid guests) tripping safety systems.

I have to concur with this. Unless it is the failure of a major show element, like a failing Lincoln, or a problem with the war wagon in the American Adventure, I have never seen a ride shutdown in any Disney park because of ride show malfunctions. I had many bad show elements at DL. Soundtrack failure in both Space Mountain and Screaming. Many non-operational animatronics in Splash there too. But they have a lot more. Actual ride shut downs are technical operations in nature 99% of the time.

surfsupdon

I get that as a travel agent you may see many more people 'before' they get to the park. But once you are there, its pretty hard to ignore the signs and the fact FP is printed huge on the back of every park map.. never mind Disney's pre-trip materials, website, spiels on transportation,etc.

If you manage to get around WDW never seeing FP.. take off the blinders. I get people may not come in prepared, but it takes quite an introvert to not notice it once you've been there for a day or two.

Trust me that it does happpen!!

I'vebeen fortunate enough to have been on 6 class trips to Disney. We give the kids tips IN ADDITION to all of the print on Fastpass throughout the World. And yet every single year we have kids manage to have NO IDEA what a Fastpass is!!! "Yeah, I wondered why those people could bypass us" or "Oh I never knew where you picked one of them up."

It happens every single trip.

People do not read.

People are oblivious.

Some Guests really have no idea about Fastpass.

DonaldDoleWhip

It makes sense on the surface but changing the time actually changes the mathematical algorithm. It is easier to assume a certain number of late and early based on an hour. I would guess that around 80-90% of the FP on any given day are used in the window. Probably 3-5% are unused and then the remainder would be out of window. If you open the window, you will need to recalibrate the entire FP system with a new time algorithm that would take a bit of time to fine tune. The change probably only affects around 10-15% of all FP in a given day and I think that number is high.
If it would stop people from wanting to burn me alive for taking advantage of the grace period (either the current one or the new one), a new algorithm sounds fine to me. :ROFLOL:

Tom

Beta Return
Me! Me! Me!

That's all I see when I read this thread. Entitlement.

We're all fortunate to be able to afford Disney vacations. Then, they offer a FREE system where you can get a ticket to cut in line, but no, that's not enough.

We turn the "privilege" into an "entitlement" and insist that we should also be able to come back at OUR convenience, and not when the extremely sophisticated computer system tells us to. The 1-hour time period allowing us to cut in line just isn't enough. And then when we get in the FP line, we get upset when they let too many Standby guests though at once.

Until several years into FP's history, I had no idea you could even come back "late". We only found out by accident. After that, we still tried to come back within the time printed on the ticket, but knew we had a grace period.

I'm all for them enforcing the return time, simply because I know how much R&D went into the initial system. The return times are calculated based on the number of people obtaining FP's, with the intent of evenly distributing the number of guests entering the FP queue at any given time. And in reality, the original system, if allowed to function properly, would have helped maintain a steady flow of Standby vs FP guests in the merge point of each queue.

Their "grace periods" seem needless. Why the 5-min early allowance? And why 15 minutes late? Why not just make the return time 1:20 long instead of an hour? Or, even better, make it 90-min, which would counter the arguments of ADRs running late or parades blocking access. If you can't figure out how to get to a ride in an hour and a half, perhaps this "complicated" system isn't for you.

At the same time, CM's can always use their Guest Service training to waive the return time for legitimate reasons. For example, if it's 7:00pm and someone comes up with a FP that ended at 6:30pm and claims they were stuck at [restaurant] for an extra half hour, sure, let them in. But if someone comes up at 9:00pm with a 7:00pm FP.....sorry, you're just bad at time management.

I know it's terrible to suggest that anyone follow a rule, especially at WDW. I mean, nobody has to abide by the "no flash photography" rule, so why should they have to come back to a ride during the time they agreed to when walking up to the FP machine?

DonaldDoleWhip

Me! Me! Me!

That's all I see when I read this thread. Entitlement.

We're all fortunate to be able to afford Disney vacations. Then, they offer a FREE system where you can get a ticket to cut in line, but no, that's not enough.

We turn the "privilege" into an "entitlement" and insist that we should also be able to come back at OUR convenience, and not when the extremely sophisticated computer system tells us to. The 1-hour time period allowing us to cut in line just isn't enough. And then when we get in the FP line, we get upset when they let too many Standby guests though at once.

Until several years into FP's history, I had no idea you could even come back "late". We only found out by accident. After that, we still tried to come back within the time printed on the ticket, but knew we had a grace period.

I'm all for them enforcing the return time, simply because I know how much R&D went into the initial system. The return times are calculated based on the number of people obtaining FP's, with the intent of evenly distributing the number of guests entering the FP queue at any given time. And in reality, the original system, if allowed to function properly, would have helped maintain a steady flow of Standby vs FP guests in the merge point of each queue.

Their "grace periods" seem needless. Why the 5-min early allowance? And why 15 minutes late? Why not just make the return time 1:20 long instead of an hour? Or, even better, make it 90-min, which would counter the arguments of ADRs running late or parades blocking access. If you can't figure out how to get to a ride in an hour and a half, perhaps this "complicated" system isn't for you.

At the same time, CM's can always use their Guest Service training to waive the return time for legitimate reasons. For example, if it's 7:00pm and someone comes up with a FP that ended at 6:30pm and claims they were stuck at [restaurant] for an extra half hour, sure, let them in. But if someone comes up at 9:00pm with a 7:00pm FP.....sorry, you're just bad at time management.

I know it's terrible to suggest that anyone follow a rule, especially at WDW. I mean, nobody has to abide by the "no flash photography" rule, so why should they have to come back to a ride during the time they agreed to when walking up to the FP machine?
1. I already suggested that.

2. The rule was that you could come back after your return window began. The new rule is you can come back 5 minutes before or 15 after. We're not rule breakers for knowing that.

3. The rude, sarcastic tone is unnecessary and about 36 pages too late.

Tom

Beta Return
1. I already suggested that.

2. The rule was that you could come back after your return window began. The new rule is you can come back 5 minutes before or 15 after. We're not rule breakers for knowing that.

3. The rude, sarcastic tone is unnecessary and about 36 pages too late.

1. Sorry I didn't read all 550 posts

2. I didn't accuse anyone of currently breaking any rules - since nobody is breaking the rule since it doesn't exist. I did imply that it's a shame to think that people can't accept new rules (or the re-implementation of old rules) when implemented.

3. Much like the current Fastpass system, there's no rule here regarding how long you can wait to submit rude and sarcastic posts ;)

DonaldDoleWhip

1. Sorry I didn't read all 550 posts

2. I didn't accuse anyone of currently breaking any rules - since nobody is breaking the rule since it doesn't exist. I did imply that it's a shame to think that people can't accept new rules (or the re-implementation of old rules) when implemented.

3. Much like the current Fastpass system, there's no rule here regarding how long you can wait to submit rude and sarcastic posts ;)
1. It was on the most recent page. I would't expect anyone to read this whole thread. Although I guess this thread does grow way too rapidly.

2. Your paragraph at the end seemed to suggest that you view utilizing any period beyond the 1-hour window as rule breaking. That'll still be an issue with the new policy, it's just that the 'rule-breaking period' will be shorter.

3. You got me. Controversial topics really bring out the worst in people (including me).

Also, FWIW, I think the "entitlement" and "me me me" argument is silly, because that applies to almost every discussion on this board:

Initial FL expansion announcement: "Boo hoo, I don't like the princesses. Why couldn't they spend $300 million making a thrill ride or something that I'd like?"

AK Yeti watch: "Boo hoo, I've been on Everest 600 times and the yeti made the show. Now it's not even an E-ticket anymore. It ruins my entire experience."

Initial Avatar annoucement: "Boo hoo, I saw that movie but it wasn't my favorite. Why didn't Disney decide to go forward with a $500 million expansion based on what I wanted to see in AK?"

Without entitlement and self-concern, this board wouldn't be nearly as interesting as it is.

In fact, even a lot of this discussion (on both sides, not just one) is motivated by self-interest. Dozens of people have said something like "wow, I never knew you could use FP's late. So I guess since it doesn't affect my touring plans, I'm better off" or "I always saw people using their FP's late. I was so mad at them even though it was clearly allowed. Now I'm getting revenge on them" and bizarre stuff like that.

Tom

Beta Return
1. It was on the most recent page. I would't expect anyone to read this whole thread. Although I guess this thread does grow way too rapidly.

2. Your paragraph at the end seemed to suggest that you view utilizing any period beyond the 1-hour window as rule breaking. That'll still be an issue with the new policy, it's just that the 'rule-breaking period' will be shorter.

3. You got me. Controversial topics really bring out the worst in people (including me).

Also, FWIW, I think the "entitlement" and "me me me" argument is silly, because that applies to almost every discussion on this board:

Initial FL expansion announcement: "Boo hoo, I don't like the princesses. Why couldn't they spend $300 million making a thrill ride or something that I'd like?"

AK Yeti watch: "Boo hoo, I've been on Everest 600 times and the yeti made the show. Now it's not even an E-ticket anymore. It ruins my entire experience."

Initial Avatar annoucement: "Boo hoo, I saw that movie but it wasn't my favorite. Why didn't Disney decide to go forward with a $500 million expansion based on what I wanted to see in AK?"

Without entitlement and self-concern, this board wouldn't be nearly as interesting as it is.

The bold statement is oh so true!

Sorry for the confusion. If a rule allows a grace period, I have no problem with taking advantage of it. But at the same time, I (like you) wonder why they don't just make the FIXED return period longer to account for it.

It's like hotels and airlines with fees. Just include them in the base price. In this case, just include the "grace period" in the original time. Then it's black and white - crystal clear. No need for a paragraph of fine print explaining the grace periods. Just print "Come back during this 90-min window."

It's a lot easier for the simple-minded guests to understand a black and white rule than to figure out all the exceptions.

Rasvar

Strange aside, I wonder how the 24 hour day at the end of the month will play havoc with Fastpass. Apparently the system runs it reset at 3:00am. I'm guessing they will just have it turned off at a certain point of the night.

Otherwise, stock up on your Fastpasses for the next day starting at 3:00am. :ROFLOL:

Tom

Beta Return
Strange aside, I wonder how the 24 hour day at the end of the month will play havoc with Fastpass. Apparently the system runs it reset at 3:00am. I'm guessing they will just have it turned off at a certain point of the night.

Otherwise, stock up on your Fastpasses for the next day starting at 3:00am. :ROFLOL:

Since attendance will likely be less than that of a regular day, you're probably right that they'll just run them during the day and let them run their natural cycle.

Then again, maybe they'll reprogram the system and let it keep spitting them out as if it's one continuous day, and just cut them off sometime during Day 2.

KevinYee

For decades, Disney Cast Members were instructed to watch out for guests because they "checked their brains at the gate." This was in the actual literature handed out to CMs.

FastPass seems obvious to you. It seems obvious to me. Well, so does the fact that the fireworks are behind Small World and that the 3:00 parade arrives at the hub from 3:20-3:50. But it's far from obvious for an infrequent visitor.

DonaldDoleWhip

The bold statement is oh so true!

Sorry for the confusion. If a rule allows a grace period, I have no problem with taking advantage of it. But at the same time, I (like you) wonder why they don't just make the FIXED return period longer to account for it.

It's like hotels and airlines with fees. Just include them in the base price. In this case, just include the "grace period" in the original time. Then it's black and white - crystal clear. No need for a paragraph of fine print explaining the grace periods. Just print "Come back during this 90-min window."

It's a lot easier for the simple-minded guests to understand a black and white rule than to figure out all the exceptions.
I'm sorry too - this topic has made me overly defensive and antsy, since it seems like every other post is attacking people who used FP's late.

It certainly would be a lot clearer if the grace period (20 to 30 minutes) were incorporated into the return time. Then there wouldn't be all this back and forth about whether that guy who used his FP 15 minutes too late or 5 minutes too early is a cheater, scammer, abuser, scum of the earth, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom