News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

BrianLo

I feel pretty confident in saying they aren't planning to spend $500m on any other attractions.

I think Rise was in that ballpark. Though no, probably nothing major is on their docket to that level quite yet. I’m not sure if they are desperate for any park to have a new ILL quite yet.

Though the Avatar ride at DCA may be a candidate.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The existence of ILL definitely shifts the accounting, but I still think Disney would prefer to have spent $250m on two E ticket attractions (or $200m for a D and $300m for an E) rather than $500m on one. That would be a much better ROI.

Rise of the Resistance is another good counter example -- although I don't think we've ever heard a final cost, the highest estimates have been roughly $450m. Rise feels like it should have cost triple what Cosmic Rewind cost, if not more.

I think Rise was in that ballpark. Though no, probably nothing major is on their docket to that level quite yet. I’m not sure if they are desperate for any park to have a new ILL quite yet.

Though the Avatar ride at DCA may be a candidate.
Rise was 350-ish

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Do we have any indication what’s in the big wedge north of the old restrooms?

View attachment 790762

Based on what’s been shared here and elsewhere, it doesn’t appear to have any public access from the gallery space.
avril lavigne fly GIF

It's where the magic is made.
true romance smile GIF

CntrlFlPete

I think the bigger surprise to me is that they wouldn’t cover enough for this to run during rain. Perhaps they won’t actually use this for the concerts at Festivals since those need to run regardless of weather due to dining packages. So I guess they’ll still use America Gardens for those and have smaller shows here.

Like others, I’m struggling to fully comprehend Communicore’s purpose. It seems rather redundant in this park. Epcot has no shortage of huge buildings.

it really does not seem like area is meant for 'concerts'. I mean, I imagine they could set up a tent out in the crowd w/ a front view of the stage, but the production team (sound, lights, video screen) for the current show was off to the side, not side stage, just out and off to the side. Personally, I have never seen a show w/ the production 'booth' off to the side, not sure a concert sound engineer would be happy w/ the set up!

prod.jpg

ToTBellHop

it really does not seem like area is meant for 'concerts'. I mean, I imagine they could set up a tent out in the crowd w/ a front view of the stage, but the production team (sound, lights, video screen) for the current show was off to the side, not side stage, just out and off to the side. Personally, I have never seen a show w/ the production 'booth' off to the side, not sure a concert sound engineer would be happy w/ the set up!

View attachment 790857
Weird. Originally, the whole purpose of this (I thought…) was that they’d move the festival concerts here, have tons of open space for people to come and go from the music, have some food, stop by the beer garden, etc.

Now, I’m not sure what the purpose is. The spine feels like another “too many cooks in the kitchen” project with no overarching vision.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Yes. We can criticize SWGE, but at least it had an overarching vision created by the project lead (and its shortcomings are largely caused by Bob’s demand that they focus on the new trilogy combined with late budget cuts).
It's frustrating because they get 75% of the way there and just stop.

They could have filled the area with "festival kiosks" with food and booze and had live bands or some type of more grownup oriented entertainment to fill the space with people and create excitement.

Instead you have 1 QS window, a meet and greet, and a mediocre kids show that stops performances mid-afternoon which leaves the entire area deserted after 4PM. Never mind the remaining surrounding area of the core (adjacent to the lady part planter) is just empty dead space.

There's no reason, other than cost or laziness that they couldn't have done more with this.

They spent hundreds of millions to tear down an underutilized empty building only to build the exact same thing, but with fancy floor tiles and lights.

Bocabear

It's frustrating because they get 75% of the way there and just stop.

They could have filled the area with "festival kiosks" with food and booze and had live bands or something more grownup oriented entertainment to fill the space with people and create excitement.

Instead you have 1 QS window, a mediocre kids shows that stops performances mid-afternoon which leaves the entire area deserted after 4PM. Never mind the remaining surrounding area of the core (adjacent to the lady part planter) is just empty dead space.

There's no reason, other than cost or laziness that they couldn't have done more with this.

They spent hundreds of millions to tear down an underutilized empty building only to build the exact same thing, but with fancy floor tiles and lights.
Lady Part Planter....I love that so much! I had a more descriptive name for it...but same idea....lol

Bocabear

they could fit a food kiosk between each of those lighting pylons and then fill the center paved area with tables and chairs and umbrellas....and it would probably be more used like that than as the concert stage viewing area....it would be appreciatyed to actually have a place to sit and eat too...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom