News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
There's no excuse to have such a big empty space. After all the years it took to finish this area?! They could have filled this building with some exhibits or interactive displays until the next festival comes along. At the very least I was expecting the large Figment figure from the concept art.

Doesn't the Disney Archive have a ton of stuff they could show here? Heck, they could use this space to display some old CommuniCore items and talk about the history of Epcot, or have a temporary exhibit of past Epcot attractions. I think that lots of people would love that.

V_L_Raptor

There's no excuse to have such a big empty space. After all the years it took to finish this area?! They could have filled this building with some exhibits or interactive displays until the next festival comes along. At the very least I was expecting the large Figment figure from the concept art.

Doesn't the Disney Archive have a ton of stuff they could show here? Heck, they could use this space to display some old CommuniCore items and talk about the history of Epcot, or have a temporary exhibit of past Epcot attractions. I think that lots of people would love that.

In fact, they did a marvelous job of just that some years ago. That EPCOT isn't around anymore. :(

But hey... there are tables!

doctornick

How big is the "empty space"? It looks to me like a relatively wide hallway as opposed to a huge room. Are there additional separate rooms there too where they can do other presentations or such during the festivals?

voodoo321

They wouldn't want the average guest to see any of that. They'd be afraid they would want those things re-built.

mattpeto

It would be nice if Communicore Hall meant they'd eliminate the World Showplace tent and use that for a new country (or even just a substantial ride for the UK, like a great Mary Poppins dark ride), but I don't see that happening.
I love this idea. I’m hoping the Brazil D23 gives us a new pavilion, but it’s not likely.

My guess is there will be a new animation film inspired by that area.

Horizonsfan

Do we have any indication what’s in the big wedge north of the old restrooms?

IMG_6877.jpeg

Based on what’s been shared here and elsewhere, it doesn’t appear to have any public access from the gallery space.

dreamfinding

But see - that would be too easy! They have a lot of Epcot pieces. They have animatronic clothes, EPCOT concept art, old Epcot merch, and entire AAs.

Having been lucky enough to visit the touring archives when it visited Graceland in 2021 (or maybe it was 2022), it really is amazing what kind of display they can put together.

ToTBellHop

Even if there was more cover they’d still be using equipment rated for outdoor use.
I think the bigger surprise to me is that they wouldn’t cover enough for this to run during rain. Perhaps they won’t actually use this for the concerts at Festivals since those need to run regardless of weather due to dining packages. So I guess they’ll still use America Gardens for those and have smaller shows here.

Like others, I’m struggling to fully comprehend Communicore’s purpose. It seems rather redundant in this park. Epcot has no shortage of huge buildings.

dreamfinding

I think the bigger surprise to me is that they wouldn’t cover enough for this to run during rain. Perhaps they won’t actually use this for the concerts at Festivals since those need to run regardless of weather due to dining packages. So I guess they’ll still use America Gardens for those and have smaller shows here.
I wonder when someone will address the drainage problem in Future World.

BrianLo

Coasters don't cost that much, though. The fact that CR is longer wouldn't be a significant increase in the price. Constructing a building is obviously more expensive than not constructing one, but the amount of money spent on Hagrid's for theming (sets, AAs, etc.) should make up for a lot of the difference, since CR doesn't really have much of that.

Expedition Everest is another good example; it's more impressive than CR in basically every way other than the actual coaster experience, and it involved building a major structure that's also themed plus an elaborate queue. It only cost $100 million. Of course things are more expensive now, and not solely from inflation, but that's not enough to account for a 5x cost increase for something that feels much cheaper in execution.

There's just little to point at with CR, including the fact that it's indoors, that makes it understandable that it cost $200m more than Hagrid's. And I actually like the fact that CR is indoors for a space based coaster; they just didn't execute it well.

As for Disney -- obviously they're happy that the ride is a big success, but I think it's arguable whether they think it was worth the price tag. If they built two $250m attractions that were major successes, that's a lot more helpful to them than one $500m attraction. They don't have an unlimited budget.

I don’t ‘like’ how high their budgets have gotten. But I’m just calling into question the standard belief that Cosmic Rewind spent too much money to meet their metrics of success.

We’re also overselling how expensive those Hagrid scenes are. It’s a lot of simple props and outhouses. It’s not exactly Pirates of the Caribbean.

I agree, Everest was an absolute steal. But Hagrid’s betrays Universal Creative Spending has also escalated. If they tried to pull off Cosmic Rewind, their pricing would largely be in line. Which is fine to think it’s just not worth the money. But the accountants at Disney would disagree, it’s been a great return on investment for them. It’s why they keep leaning into only expensive e tickets all the time mantra. They are easier to get a clear ROI from.

UNCgolf

I don’t ‘like’ how high their budgets have gotten. But I’m just calling into question the standard belief that Cosmic Rewind spent too much money to meet their metrics of success.

We’re also overselling how expensive those Hagrid scenes are. It’s a lot of simple props and outhouses. It’s not exactly Pirates of the Caribbean.

I agree, Everest was an absolute steal. But Hagrid’s betrays Universal Creative Spending has also escalated. If they tried to pull off Cosmic Rewind, their pricing would largely be in line. Which is fine to think it’s just not worth the money. But the accountants at Disney would disagree, it’s been a great return on investment for them. It’s why they keep leaning into only expensive e tickets all the time mantra. They are easier to get a clear ROI from.

The existence of ILL definitely shifts the accounting, but I still think Disney would prefer to have spent $250m on two E ticket attractions (or $200m for a D and $300m for an E) rather than $500m on one. That would be a much better ROI.

Rise of the Resistance is another good counter example -- although I don't think we've ever heard a final cost, the highest estimates have been roughly $450m. Rise feels like it should have cost triple what Cosmic Rewind cost, if not more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom