News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member

A Look at the New Lighting Design at EPCOT's CommuniCore Hall and Plaza​

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attraction...sign-at-epcots-communicore-hall-and-plaza.htm
CommuniCore-Hall_Full_56373.jpg

CommuniCore-Hall_Full_56368.jpg

CommuniCore-Hall_Full_56367.jpg

More at https://www.wdwmagic.com/attraction...sign-at-epcots-communicore-hall-and-plaza.htm

Were these taken during previews or during the first night open to the general public?

It seems like such a waste that this brand new area could be sitting empty and unused so quickly.

James Alucobond

they could fit a food kiosk between each of those lighting pylons and then fill the center paved area with tables and chairs and umbrellas....and it would probably be more used like that than as the concert stage viewing area....it would be appreciatyed to actually have a place to sit and eat too...
I think that's the plan? The site plan shows at least three booths eventually going in under the long portion of the awning.

ToTBellHop

Presumably the new "Festival Center" as opposed to the old Wonders of Life building. So, during festivals it will be as filled up as the WOL building was. In-between it's vast empty space.
Filled with what? They don’t do demos any more. They will bring HGTV back to tell us how to prune rose bushes? I’m skeptical. Not holding my breath on Tom Colicchio showing me how to sacrifice a lobster humanely, either.

Maybe it’ll be like a state fair and they can demo new vacuums and mattresses. “Honey, look at the suction on this bagless cyclonic!”

Last edited:

CntrlFlPete

Weird. Originally, the whole purpose of this (I thought…) was that they’d move the festival concerts here, have tons of open space for people to come and go from the music, have some food, stop by the beer garden, etc.

Now, I’m not sure what the purpose is. The spine feels like another “too many cooks in the kitchen” project with no overarching vision.

I thought the same, but there really are not any sightlines for an audience to watch a band (IMHO). The stage is not that high up. I am about 5'8'' and I could see the drummer's head:

sl1.jpg

sl2.jpg

FerretAfros

I think the bigger surprise to me is that they wouldn’t cover enough for this to run during rain. Perhaps they won’t actually use this for the concerts at Festivals since those need to run regardless of weather due to dining packages. So I guess they’ll still use America Gardens for those and have smaller shows here.

Like others, I’m struggling to fully comprehend Communicore’s purpose. It seems rather redundant in this park. Epcot has no shortage of huge buildings.
I don't think this was ever intended to be used for large-scale entertainment like what's at the American Gardens Theatre. The audience viewing area is only about half the size, has no meaningful shade/weather covering, has no seating, and is more-or-less flat. It's not really big enough to accommodate large crowds, and even if the crowds did show up, most of them wouldn't be able to see the stage. It is especially poorly designed for any sort of reserved seating that you might get from one of the dining packages that they love to sell.

Additionally, the stage itself is poorly configured for big acts. It's fairly small, so anything more than about a half-dozen performers would be a tight fit. The sleek building design doesn't contemplate a soffit or proscenium above the stage to allow lighting and sound equipment to be hidden from view (the temporary banners are doing a lot of work at the moment). The stage is only about 2' tall, so sightlines from the audience aren't great (as @CntrlFlPete pointed out above). The audience is exposed to full sunlight but the stage is in the shade, which makes it hard to see what's going on up there from a distance. The stage has that weird 2-sided configuration, where the backside opens up to the main walkway, with no divider from that space or clearly defined crowdflow. And of course, the performers have to cross through guest areas to get to the stage, limiting the viability for any high-demand personalities (be they Disney characters, celebrity chefs, or musicians).

All of this matches the earliest promotional images they released for this area.

Looking at the design of the space, it was never intended for anything larger than mid-level entertaingment; something along the lines of the Candlelight Processional or even Eat to the Beat-type concerts would be a poor fit for the venue. It seems like it was intended for things like cooking demonstrations (if they ever return) and the Arts acrobat troupe, or even the Encanto show they're running now; nice diversions if you're in the area, but nothing that that's going to bring you in from the other side of the park. Why the lawn space is so large for relatively modest performances is anybody's guess.

I suspect this location was built to satisfy a checklist of functions to replace with the project, and it's the replacement for the old stage on the south end of the Fountain of Nations. And unfortunately, like that stage, I imagine this one will be vacant a lot of the time because it's just not a great venue for much of anything. At best, I'd like to think we could have some decent programming in this area during non-festival periods when the American Gardens Theatre isn't being used, to give guests something yearround. But realistically I expect both locations will be vacant a lot of the time, leaving guests to wonder what's supposed to be there. Which, in its own sad way, makes it a perfect fit for Epcot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think that's the plan? The site plan shows at least three booths eventually going in under the long portion of the awning.
…how magical
It boggles the mind that Rise didn't cost at least $50-100m more than Cosmic Rewind. The fact that Cosmic Rewind cost $100+ million more than Rise is incomprehensible.

The hang up on guardians is starting to become “one of those things”…beware

As far as the other ride goes…it’s not a big thing

Notice how they’re trying to hawk it for $24 in the morning and you can basically walk on at the end of the night

There might be a shelf life on a trackless with such awful IP?
Shocking

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom