News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is not unique to Disney or even the restaurant business.

Every restaurant I know will staff according to a predicted volume. To do otherwise leaves you people standing around and getting paid for nothing.

We did the same thing when I ran a quick lube in High School and College. Our volume was fairly predictable based on the day of the week and we staffed accordingly. On the rare occasion the number of customers went over the staff we had we either had to try an call someone in or turn the work away.

On the flip side if my hours scheduled vs cars serviced ratio off in the wrong way I could expect a reaming from the district manager.

Every organization in the world staffs for an 'expected' level of customer demand the difference is most organizations build in a 10-20% buffer so that unplanned surges don't negatively impact the business or it's customer perception. Disney OTOH appears to staff at 90% of expected load (figuring 10% no show) I have friends in the restaurant business on the coast of Maine and I've even been pressed into service as a sous chef when they really got slammed one day.

Disney servers are always hustling and they seem to always be assigned more tables than they can reasonably handle, It's just another negative side effect of the 'cost accounting' mentality which afflicts WDW these days.

Figments Friend

I'd say prioritize Wonders of Life and Imagination to start. WoL has nothing there currently and developing there wouldn't impact the park's capacity or anything. Imagination may be operating, but it's so unpopular that taking that entire pavilion down wouldn't likely make a big difference. I wish they'd let Tony Baxter work his magic over there again, he's expressed desire to do so again. Especially with the Figment comic being popular...

I sincerely hope in some form Tony would indeed be 'allowed' to advise on the project when any forthcoming refreshening of the Attraction happens.
I know he would personally love to have that opportunity to help bring back a bit of the whimsical spirit that used to be present in the Imagination Pavilion.
I truly hope he gets to be actively involved in it, but alas, I have serious doubts that will happen with Fitz in charge of the Park now.

Too much unnecessary drama and unfortunate politically charged nonsense there to really get anything productive done.
I am not keen on Tom overseeing that Park...and one very good example as to why is just that -
Tony's chances of being involved in a re-do for Imagination are greatly reduced with Tom's presence there.
Just my thoughts on the matter based on my awareness of past history.

I want to think more positively...and I know gears are indeed turning in regards to having the Pavilion refreshed.
The continuing success of the 'Figment' comic series has indeed woken up some folks on the West Coast and that can only be a good thing.
So there is hope.
Wether or not Tony gets to be actively involved, even in his current advisorary role, remains to be seen.

I pray to the Tiki Gods he gets the opportunity to.
Yes, please.
I'm cheering on the sidelines for ya, Tony!

-

Figments Friend

I'm cross posting my comments from the Norway Pavilion thread as they pertain to this thread more:

This video just slapped me in the face with sad nostalgia. Just listening to the narrator on the monorail describing the FW attractions melts my heart. This is the EPCOT I remember as a child. This is the EPCOT I miss. Sea Base Alpha and Horizions were so awesome and mind blowing at that time. I feel like both attractions could still have the same appeal today if they had been maintained and updated properly (not re-themed to Nemo). All of Future World had a general theme and purpose that made you leave there feeling optimistic, excited and inspired to do great things.

EPCOT FW is what made me fall in love with WDW in the first place. I have never felt so passionately about a theme park or any place in my life. It's honestly sad and depressing that FW has been neglected by Disney for so long. For all of us that visited it in the 1980s and 1990s as children and got inspired by EPCOT, it hurts so bad to visit it today. I wonder how the imagineers feel that spent years of their lives working on EPCOT Center to only see it these days in the sad condition it's in :(

I could have typed these exact same sentiments.
Totally relate...totally agree.

One does have to wonder how those folks who built the place feel when they look at what it has become today.
Successful, yes, but it's original spirit and overall tone has definitely changed and not nessesarily for the better in several cases.

There is always a chance that things will get turned around someday and the Park will again point us in a direction that is both inspiring, exciting, and empowering.
Perhaps someday....it will be again, more so then it is today.

-

SirLink

Posting this here too... Not sure the validity of this!

If your not sure of the validity of a photopass cm who has no knowledge/likely no knowledge of any exhibits that are coming...

... I'm doubting anyone sane in Disney wants more glorified toons destroying Epcot but hey ho. The same morons are adding Frozen to Norway.

Matt_Black

If your not sure of the validity of a photopass cm who has no knowledge/likely no knowledge of any exhibits that are coming...

... I'm doubting anyone sane in Disney wants more glorified toons destroying Epcot but hey ho. The same morons are adding Frozen to Norway.

Considering that the expo in the film was modeled after Innoventions and the film was primarily "Look, kids, science is awesome!", I can't see how anyone would really have a problem with this.

SirLink

Considering that the expo in the film was modeled after Innoventions and the film was primarily "Look, kids, science is awesome!", I can't see how anyone would really have a problem with this.

Your adding a cartoon IP to a park which shouldn't have them, if you really want it to have a presence have him take over Chef Mickey . Innoventions should be licensed to Sony(VR), Microsoft(Holograms), Nike/Apple(Wearables), WDI(Robotics(AA)). The Toons have no presence in Epcot. Its the cheapo option for people who can't learn without seeing a Toon ...

prfctlyximprct

Wow, sorry for sharing a "rumor". dont understand what you're so angry about but you can happily ignore me.

Last edited:

Miss Heinous

Your adding a cartoon IP to a park which shouldn't have them, if you really want it to have a presence have him take over Chef Mickey . Innoventions should be licensed to Sony(VR), Microsoft(Holograms), Nike/Apple(Wearables), WDI(Robotics(AA)). The Toons have no presence in Epcot. Its the cheapo option for people who can't learn without seeing a Toon ...
2914981-8886510164-OuFf2.gif

Honestly you're acting like a brat. Grow up.

SirLink

If it can be used to educate and be a true part of Epcot then what is the problem?

Children don't take facts in when it is being presented by a cartoon/brand that is also associated with the original work they came from, i.e. a movie first character. If you created a character just for the parks like that of Cranium Command children take in facts as they are not acknowledged as entertainment first.

Your more likely to learn something about how cars are designed or reasoning behind that with Test Track more so than if Cars characters were in Test Track trying to teach kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom