News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
hqdefault.jpg
This thread has been derailed worse than a monorail crash on a Tuesday.
Sorry about that

OneDNP

Thankfully, homeopathic tinctuers are so diluted, the probability of even one molecule of the active ingredient being present is near zero. They owe their following to the placebo effect.
Big fan of the placebo effect. The people who, in quantitative measurement, get the intended therapeutic effect from the inert substance/non-intervention in comparison the the actual drug or procedure being investigated are the ones who need to be studied. A research lab in WoL?

Meanwhile, GMOs could end world hunger...
Awesome. Replace Circle of Life in the Land with a film debating this and other controversial "feed the world" practices.

Otterhead

You mean you don't carry your own coffee maker around EPCOT?!
No joke, I have a coffee-snob friend who tried to do that. The first day we were there, he went to every coffeeshop in EPCOT and asked if they 'ground and tamped' their beans for espresso. Since (pre-Starbucks) they all used ESE pods, he got super frustrated at not being able to get a "proper coffee" and tried to bring his own miniature coffeemaker and heat source to the park. That didn't work so well.

AmUK

With all this talk about Iger being so bad for Disney, what is the general opinion of who would be a better successor? Is there someone out there (besides yourself lol) that would be perfect to take over Disney?

Listen we get Disney has to make money, it is a corporation - but surely from time to time you need someone in charge who is a visionary. Someone who has a love and passion for what he's doing and a creative instinct. Not someone whose love in the game is finance and accounts.

Look at Apple, imagine if Steve Jobs had left and they put corporates in charge - they might still be releasing some medicore products, but it won't be ground breaking. Look at Pixar, John Lassetter (someone who loves the theme parks) without his creative vision PIxar would be nowhere. Shigeru Miyamoto at Nintendo. Now imagine all those companies replaced those creative owners with corporate men.

Iger doesn't love theme parks. But i'm afraid the way the corporation is arranged, it's difficult to get a man out who is making money (basically by default in not investing). In the long term he harms the product he was meant to make money for, even though in the short term he makes money - and i suppose investors don't really care for the long term.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Big fan of the placebo effect. The people who, in quantitative measurement, get the intended therapeutic effect from the inert substance/non-intervention in comparison the the actual drug or procedure being investigated are the ones who need to be studied. A research lab in WoL?
I am fine with the placebo effect when it comes to things like pain management, but I have a serious issue when things like this get used in place of a legitimate treatment for a real disease thereby delaying treatment. Sugar pills are not going to cure cancer, treat Ebola or take the place of a vaccine.

Weren't there plans at one point for exactly that somewhere in the World Showcase?
Not to my knowledge, but I am hardly an authority on such things.

Otterhead

Iger doesn't love theme parks.
I don't think it's really fair to paint Iger or Eisner in such big brushstrokes. Iger hasn't poured money into EPCOT (yet), but under his leadership, they added New Fantasyland, are adding the hugely ambitious new Pandora area to Animal Kingdom, and are about to overhaul the languishing DHS with Star Wars. I don't think someone who didn't care about the parks would make those kind of massive and risky investments. Not all of his decisions are great, by any means.
Eisner put a huge priority on the parks, and gets a lot of press for adding Disney-MGM and Animal Kingdom (and California Adventure), but his taste was far from infallible. Man, he made some bad decisions amongst the good.

Monorail_Red_77

But, and I know I've mentioned this before, that was the whole point. The original designers talked about need for constant reinvention, constant updates.
And I know I've mentioned this before as well, but the things that needed updating so far were small. Last I checked we still do not have seabases, space colonies, desert lorange farms. The overall large brush strokes of Future World were as futuristic yesterday as they are today. The small things might have needed to be updated, the clothing, a small technology here or there, but the idea of looking towards the future is still futuristic, 33 years later.

Yes, the future moves much slower in reality. Where's my hover car......

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't think it's really fair to paint Iger or Eisner in such big brushstrokes. Iger hasn't poured money into EPCOT (yet), but under his leadership, they added New Fantasyland, are adding the hugely ambitious new Pandora area to Animal Kingdom, and are about to overhaul the languishing DHS with Star Wars. I don't think someone who didn't care about the parks would make those kind of massive and risky investments. Not all of his decisions are great, by any means.
Eisner put a huge priority on the parks, and gets a lot of press for adding Disney-MGM and Animal Kingdom (and California Adventure), but his taste was far from infallible. Man, he made some bad decisions amongst the good.
WDW also only consisted of MK, Epcot and a handful of resorts when Eisner took over. There was a huge unmet demand that required big and rapid expansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom