News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

SirLink

If I wanted to see Sony/Microsoft/Apple technology I would go to my local mall and visit their stores that all proudly bombard you with their newest gadgets. I was at the mall a few days ago and there was a huge Samsung area setup in the middle where you could try out their VR headset, watches and other stuff. It was cool for 5 minutes.

Sorry but I don't pay lot's of money visiting Disney World to see crap that I can see 10 minutes from my house in the mall. I'll take cartoon IPs over that junk ANY day of the week. To say that people can't learn without a character is pretty ignorant if you ask me. Don't forget kids go to these parks too and seeing their favorite movie characters in person teaching them about things isn't such a bad thing. Yeah I get it, EPCOT Center was the best but we have to look at where the park is headed which unfortunately is not back to 1980.

Personally I could care less if some IPs leak into Epcot and rides show up in the WS. It doesn't ruin the park for me like it does for some people on here. I guess that's why Disney has 4 parks so you can go to the ones you like :p

Well with regard to the mall comment if you are Disney you do a history of the various tech mentioned, how it is currently applied and how it would be applied in around 100 years time. Basically get people to Dream the future of technology.

Secondly I'm saying if you can't learn with a cartoon air bag telling you about health, that is a character of a movie ... and the children/adults will just think of it as a movie character, the information won't get across.

Thirdly that is the issue is an issue with all 4 parks ... Tomorrowland is a thematic mess - heard they were looking at concepts to fix it but Pigs will fly, Frontierland and Adventureland are messes. Main St is an uninspired mess. DHS is going to be good at being IP land and well DAK could of benefited from expansion using WDI imagined worlds not those that came from screen to physical reality. The current TWDC doesn't believe in itself to create the 'new' BTMR, POTC, ETB, HM, HoP or even Everests any more. Even their Studio division is the same position banking on live action films to all their animated films. Simply put it is a joke of a company. A company that makes money but has no artistry no vision no cojones to dare to challenge or be challened.

Back on topic: I hope they add more trees and change the name from Future World to Discovery World like Gemini project wanted perhaps the only salient idea of Project Gemini one might say.

SirLink

That means no

That means I don't have access to research papers because 1) I no longer study at a UK University, 2) have no access to shared research paper library that we could use at the time when I was a student. 3) I didn't choose to write and remember certain pieces of data or save them for the chance when I could use it to show like any sane person that using movie characters to teach kids is profoundly wrong and misguided as a world stance.

serveimage

begood524

I really do think UOE is the #1 priority on the refurbishment list; next year it will turn 20. Personally I want Wonders of Life to re-open more than anything with an Inside Out Cranium Command an enhanced Body Wars, maybe with the random ride sequence feature on Star Tours, and the ENTIRE Imagination Pavilion needs a redo:)

Nick Pappagiorgio

Has any attraction or area in Epcot been made better by the inclusion of outside intellectual property? I mean you argue Baymax is a great representative for innoventions, because of various characteristics. By that same logic you would have to say that Nemo was a great representative for the Seas (who could be better than a fish) and look at what a disaster that pavilion is.
The one that drives me crazy is the fact that Aladdin is in Morocco. Arabs and Berbers are completely different cultural groups and are over 3000 miles apart.

brb1006

Has any attraction or area in Epcot been made better by the inclusion of outside intellectual property? I mean you argue is a great representative for innoventions, because of various characteristics. By that same logic you would have to say that Nemo was a great representative for the Seas (who could be better than a fish) and look at what a disaster that pavilion is.
The one that drives me crazy is the fact that Aladdin is in Morocco. Arabs and Berbers are completely different cultural groups and are over 3000 miles apart.
I did find Marie meeting at the France Pavilion from 2009 - 2012 very fitting though. If she was still meeting at Epcot, if would be a possibility to meet her and her brothers. Especially since Toulouse and Berlioz are still meeting at Paris (During special events) and in Tokyo Disney Resort.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

I did find Marie meeting at the France Pavilion from 2009 - 2012 very fitting though. If she was still meeting at Epcot, if would be a possibility to meet her and her brothers.

Oh Surrre, The voices of the Aristocats characters are Really French..Put this in perspective...Eva Gabor is Hungarian and The three kittens were american kid voice actors..

brb1006

Oh Surrre, The voices of the Aristocats characters are Really French..Put this in perspective...Eva Gabor is Hungarian and The three kittens were american kid voice actors..
Marie is also voiced by Louise English who is British. Louise would also become a regular in The Benny Hill show starting in the late 70's. This reminds me of the time the sequel to 101 Dalmatians got released where the Dalmations were finally given British accents unlike the original film. If the cancelled sequel to The Aristocats or even the cancelled TV series ever got made. Then the cats would have been given french accents.

doctornick

Posting this here too... Not sure the validity of this!
I really hope this is true. Baymax would be a fantastic addition to Epcot, especially given the unused space there. I know he was a very popular M&G when they had him, so I would expect many people to be happy for his return. He's the perfect example of a M&G that relates to Epcot's core mission while still having popular appeal -- wouldn't it be great if the future actually had robotic medics?

It would be ideal if a M&G for him was coupled with a neighboring robotics exhibit, maybe one geared specifically to robotics in medicine. It wouldn't necessarily need Baymax (or Hiro for that matter) hosting, though I could see it work that way.

FigmentJedi

Has any attraction or area in Epcot been made better by the inclusion of outside intellectual property? I mean you argue Baymax is a great representative for innoventions, because of various characteristics. By that same logic you would have to say that Nemo was a great representative for the Seas (who could be better than a fish) and look at what a disaster that pavilion is.
I actually like the Circle of Life movie at the Land. It's a good way of using characters without having them dominate the space and its focused on an environmental message rather then franchise maintenance. Also "Dam! Pumbaa watch your language" is one of my favorite exchanges in a theme park attraction.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Hey they both ride camels so it's all good....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom