News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

James Alucobond

It actually is a great fit considering the family friendly appeal and the rockwork transitioning well from Big Thunder Mountain. Especially if the rockwork creates a stunning backdrop for Big Thunder. Wouldn't that fit in better than the current Florida swampland and greenery surrounding that Frontier landscape? Sounds more thematically consistent to me.
No. Because race cars. It’s not hard to understand why it doesn’t work.

Delta-7

I’m just not into the idea of cloning a ride that is already ten years old as part of an expansion that might not open until the next decade. Besides, we’ve seen how the frequent rains of Florida affect Test Track. Also hasn’t it been implied a few times on here that the solidity of this RSR rumor is questionable?

TheRealSkull

No. Because race cars. It’s not hard to understand why it doesn’t work.
" Because race cars" isn't a valid justification for denying an expansion. You could say Tron doesn't fit into Magic Kingdom by saying "because electric motorcycles." Cars also goes beyond the idea of racing. A huge part of it is the Americana Route 66 desert culture.
I’m just not into the idea of cloning a ride that is already ten years old as part of an expansion that might not open until the next decade. Besides, we’ve seen how the frequent rains of Florida affect Test Track. Also hasn’t it been implied a few times on here that the solidity of this RSR rumor is questionable?
There's also a thing called modifying an existing ride and improving upon the technology to accommodate those circumstances. Disney would find a way to make it work, whether it be an indoor version or come up with a new ride system that can accommodate the rain. Whether it is questionable or not, this point stands for anything they put back there to accommodate Florida.

James Alucobond

" Because race cars" isn't a valid justification for denying an expansion. You could say Tron doesn't fit into Magic Kingdom by saying "because electric motorcycles." Cars also goes beyond the idea of racing. A huge part of it is the Americana Route 66 desert culture.
It is an expansion that is meant to stand next to Frontierland. Part of the theme is the time period (which is broad but definitely not broad enough to cover modern race cars even when taken to its farthest extreme). Your justification is literally just “nice rockwork could look cool next to Big Thunder”.

TheRealSkull

It is an expansion that is meant to stand next to Frontierland. Part of the theme is the time period (which is broad but definitely not broad enough to cover modern race cars even when taken to its farthest extreme). Your justification is literally just “nice rockwork could look cool next to Big Thunder”.
I literally mentioned Route 66 American Car Culture too. Also maybe the Desert Land rumor is true and that certainly would be broad enough to justify Mounument Valley in the Magic Kingdom.

WaltWiz1901

Seeing this discussion on to clone or not to clone leaves me thinking that the arguments that Disney is losing their way or isn't doing anything fresh and original are rendered moot when the desired solution seems to be just copy-pasting pre-existing builds into whatever space there is available for expansion, because who needs to build truly new and cool attractions to draw guests to our new additional space when we can simply take those cool attractions giving another park an identity of its own and plop them down here instead?

Suggesting that WDI should bring a 1:1 clone of [X unique attraction] over to Y (usually WDW), without any consideration to the identity of each park/resort or adding something new to balance it out (and ignoring the possible exclusivity clauses that could be put in place by the OLC or LegCo or what have you for a specific attraction when it's originally built), is baby's first Imagineering pitch.
For the record, I'm not entirely against putting one attraction in more than one park, but it is miles more important that that is not the only thing being done to add to a park's lineup
The name World should encompass the most of all The Parks Around The World.

Having Walt Disney World share attractions from the World makes the name WDW best sense and it would never take away from the other parks success or appeal. It could actually do the opposite effect and hence intrigue many guests to want to visit the other parks for having the experience or shared experiences in this Giant resort.
...um, no, it would not. The unique experiences are what draw most guests into (wanting to) expand(ing) their horizons, and chances are higher that they would already be satisfied with having [X] in their local resort than they would be seeking it out elsewhere.
Not to mention that is not why Walt called the resort "Disney World" in the first place

Last edited:

_caleb

Again, I ask, where was this argument when Galaxy's Edge was announced and no one complained about the cloning of it?
I see you’re new here.

Check out this thread:
IMG_3602.jpeg

IMG_3603.jpeg

doctornick

It actually is a great fit considering the family friendly appeal and the rockwork transitioning well from Big Thunder Mountain. Especially if the rockwork creates a stunning backdrop for Big Thunder. Wouldn't that fit in better than the current Florida swampland and greenery surrounding that Frontier landscape? Sounds more thematically consistent to me.
In terms of visual style it would fit in MK, but as a concept/theme it is terrible. Talking cars? Modern times? Single IP land? Doesn’t really work.

TheRealSkull

I'm new but have been reading these threads for nine years at this point. I'm more so talking about the overall majority general reaction. I was reading WDWMagic forums and many others that hardly complained of the cloning of Galaxy's Edge. More people were happy and applauded Disney that Galaxy's Edge was being brought to both coasts, and the 2015 D23 reaction proves so when Iger announced "We are building two." And those are hard-core fans. And to this day, I don't see much complaints going around.

But whenever something to the extent of RSR or Cars Land being cloned in Florida is brought up or honestly anything similar like Tron or Avatar, immediately everyone joined in saying that there needed to be new experiences etc...

My point is, where is the consistency? Props to @steelcitymagic for his point though.

doctornick

3 of the castle parks already have single IP lands. So I don’t think they really intend to keep that concept out of MK and not make it 4.
The biggest difference IMHO is that WDW has the overall space - and a perfect park - to not have to do that at MK. I’m not even as hard core as some but it would just seem shortsighted to do something like Cars Land at MK where it would stick out.

I think the Toy Story Lands at other castle parks are even worse though. But at least they are somewhat more understandable due to them being in resorts with only one park.

TheRealSkull

In terms of visual style it would fit in MK, but as a concept/theme it is terrible. Talking cars? Modern times? Single IP land? Doesn’t really work.

Single IP lands are just something you are gonna have to get used to. It's where we are headed.

Sounds like you might be concerned with the transition from Frontierland to Cars. Talking cars can be no different from talking animals or monsters. I also don't see why modern times is a problem considering Cars Land is a modern fantasy.

SilentWindODoom

All they need is a thematic transition as you walk, denoting the passage of time and advancement in civilized development and transportation technology.

1716754946895.png

1716755008632.png

1716755081052.png

With a raised cliff to the left of the railroad, one could get the distant cliffs and closer ridges without seeing a car or sign of modern frontier from the old frontier.

I would imagine it would be like Storybook Circus. New Fantasyland and Storybook Circus could be considered "lands", but the station is in Fantasyland. It's all one land. It wouldn't be Card Land. It would be the Western expansion of Frontierland.

Thematically, a Western wilderness and the exploration of such fits the idea of Frontier. Talking cars don't seem more ridiculous than talking bears, skeletons, or tikis. Or the entire concept of beasts and monsters. It's funny seeing for years people complaining about movie IP rides being put in the Studios making it a second Magic Kingdom while now we're getting complains about putting that same thing in Magic Kingdom.

Now, I'd love to see something great with Coco and definitely Villains. I do not prefer Cars Land to be cloned over the teased thing. Some manner of Western River Expedition would also be better, obviously. Not that that's a thing, but I'm just saying, Cars is not a priority for me and barely a wish above me thinking it would be cool to visit and that being easier if it was in Orlando. I'm just disagreeing with it being a Cosmic Rewind type fit, which a number seem to argue it is worse than.

In the Parks
No
It makes as much sense as Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland beyond Frontierland. If they added RSR it wouldn't be part of Frontierland. There would be a transition.

That said, I think this is not a great idea. The ride system is not ideal for outdoors in Florida. If it were indoors, it wouldn't matter where you put it. So they could just put it in DHS. But I still think they wouldn't use the same ride system as Test Track when they're going to relaunch Test Track in the near future already.

Chef idea Mickey`=

WDW and DL have basically the same number of rides -- with most of them being the same exact ride (with minor changes), or, the same ride mechanic, but with a different theme. So, in that way, the comparison is apt.

However, WDW does have many more non-ride attractions and a more resort-like resort attached to it -- a world fair, a zoo, golf courses, spas, nightly fireworks, etc...
Let me rephrase and remove never.. my point was to me current Magic Kingdom doesn't have the splendor that a Disneyland park has. My opinion

Chef idea Mickey`=

It makes as much sense as Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland beyond Frontierland. If they added RSR it wouldn't be part of Frontierland. There would be a transition.

That said, I think this is not a great idea. The ride system is not ideal for outdoors in Florida. If it were indoors, it wouldn't matter where you put it. So they could just put it in DHS. But I still think they wouldn't use the same ride system as Test Track when they're going to relaunch Test Track in the near future already.
What I can't grab hold is everyone is all about it can't, it's the same ride system, but what about ROR, MRR, and Ratatouille! Plus several other same ride systems different themed IP or attraction story.

Delta-7

What I can't grab hold is everyone is all about it can't, it's the same ride system, but what about ROR, MRR, and Ratatouille! Plus several other same ride systems different themed IP or attraction story.
It's more that people don't want another outdoor E-ticket ride that has to shut every time it rains (Test Track is the first example). And knowing FL's weather....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom