News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

doctornick

It's funny seeing for years people complaining about movie IP rides being put in the Studios making it a second Magic Kingdom while now we're getting complains about putting that same thing in Magic Kingdom.

To each their own, but I personally think the idea of "putting an IP in a park makes it another MK" is absolutely stupid. It's totally fine to put IPs in any park as long as it fits with the environment and themes that surround it. So, at least for me, I don't agree that IPs "should" be put into MK over other locations. Animal and conservation themed concepts in DAK? Great. IPs related to human culture or scientific exploration and achievement in Epcot? Fantastic. Immersion into "ride the movies" worlds in DHS? Absolutely.

Frontierland is about the American exploration of "unknown" and "untamed" (well, at least to Europeans) lands. Wild animals - even fictional talking ones - fit into that vibe. Modern day anthropomorphic Cars... don't. I actually think that a 1960's era Route 66 area/attraction could work in MK as the next but separate land after Frontierland (similar to how there is a progression around the RoA from Liberty Sq to Frontierland) but once you are adding the Cars IP and Radiator Springs, it is IMHO a step too far. Coco could work in an appropriate area - though I don't like it as its own land - but again really shouldn't be "part" of Frontierland.

And particularly sad to me is that Cars Land is pretty much exactly what DHS needs thanks to the bevy of (good) restaurants and smaller attractions. And as a single IP land, that is where it should go in WDW if anywhere. So, if they wanted to add it to WDW, that is IMHO where it should go.

TheRealSkull

To each their own, but I personally think the idea of "putting an IP in a park makes it another MK" is absolutely stupid. It's totally fine to put IPs in any park as long as it fits with the environment and themes that surround it. So, at least for me, I don't agree that IPs "should" be put into MK over other locations. Animal and conservation themed concepts in DAK? Great. IPs related to human culture or scientific exploration and achievement in Epcot? Fantastic. Immersion into "ride the movies" worlds in DHS? Absolutely.

Frontierland is about the American exploration of "unknown" and "untamed" (well, at least to Europeans) lands. Wild animals - even fictional talking ones - fit into that vibe. Modern day anthropomorphic Cars... don't. I actually think that a 1960's era Route 66 area/attraction could work in MK as the next but separate land after Frontierland (similar to how there is a progression around the RoA from Liberty Sq to Frontierland) but once you are adding the Cars IP and Radiator Springs, it is IMHO a step too far. Coco could work in an appropriate area - though I don't like it as its own land - but again really shouldn't be "part" of Frontierland.

And particularly sad to me is that Cars Land is pretty much exactly what DHS needs thanks to the bevy of (good) restaurants and smaller attractions. And as a single IP land, that is where it should go in WDW if anywhere. So, if they wanted to add it to WDW, that is IMHO where it should go.
I am with you in your argument in saying DHS needs Cars Land more than Magic Kingdom. DHS still isn't quite a full day park and could really benefit from one more immersive land, maybe two, replacing the Echo Lake and Animation Courtyard areas.

SilentWindODoom

Didn’t an insider confirm RSR wasn’t coming?

So we can leave that attraction in DCA where it belongs. I’m sure they want to focus on NEW IP’s that haven’t appeared in the parks yet.

Eh... we ain't got nothing else to talk about. It's at least two projects away.

Radiator Springs's location within the historical Frontier, and untamed wilderness certainly fits into the themes. I feel like the existing and past attractions have led to a conflagration of "frontier" with Cowboys and covered wagons rather than the place and themes, but, again, I would rather something else and the functionality in Florida is a major issue. But there is a part of me that worries what could come would be paltry in comparison to that epic range.

I am with you in your argument in saying DHS needs Cars Land more than Magic Kingdom. DHS still isn't quite a full day park and could really benefit from one more immersive land, maybe two, replacing the Echo Lake and Animation Courtyard areas.

I wouldn't touch echo lake, but putting cars land in animation courtyard is a good idea.

I agree with the Animation Courtyard location. My only concern would be cutting off any further expansion while that park needs more.

Delta-7

Eh... we ain't got nothing else to talk about. It's at least two projects away.
So RSR is coming (to MK)? Or at least a higher chance of it? I wasn’t really surprised that it could be a possibility because Radiator Springs —> desert stuff.

But talking modern cars to me isn’t the same thing as talking animals, monsters - even tiki statues, sentient objects from animated films, and the cab from Roger Rabbit. Those are either living beings or cartoonish things that don’t take realism seriously, and have some enchanting charm to them. Modern cars are machines. Even though the Cars world does have sentient vehicles, that’s pretty much all the magic it has. Everything else is realistic.

Though concerning the chance of this whole thing happening:
There was at least consideration, though I don't think it was ever that serious. More of a visualization exercise, which - strictly in paint - did create a nice vista.
Edit: I do agree that Cars Land would be better off at DHS. Seems like modern car culture would fit better over there anyway.

TheRealSkull

So RSR is coming (to MK)? Or at least a higher chance of it? I wasn’t really surprised that it could be a possibility because Radiator Springs —> desert stuff.

But talking modern cars to me isn’t the same thing as talking animals, monsters - even tiki statues, sentient objects from animated films, and the cab from Roger Rabbit. Those are either living beings or cartoonish things that don’t take realism seriously, and have some enchanting charm to them. Modern cars are machines. Even though the Cars world does have sentient vehicles, that’s pretty much all the magic it has. Everything else is realistic.

Though concerning the chance of this whole thing happening:

Edit: I do agree that Cars Land would be better off at DHS. Seems like modern car culture would fit better over there anyway.

To be fair, the Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer's Island and Big Thunder do represent realistic wildlife and nature quite well. Radiator Springs combines the best of fantasy and realism, just like the Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer's Island. So why not combine chocolate with peanut butter?

Delta-7

To be fair, the Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer's Island and Big Thunder do represent realistic wildlife and nature quite well. Radiator Springs combines the best of fantasy and realism, just like the Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer's Island. So why not combine chocolate with peanut butter?
Because TSI, the river, and Big Thunder share that rustic 19th century vibe. The media from Cars is modern times. And assuming the idea that Frontierland up to TBA gets rethemed to fit with TBA and pushes Frontierland to Big Thunder and beyond…an RSR clone just isn’t gonna fit with that. Or even worse, Big Thunder gets a retheme as part of its rumored refurb to be set in the Cars world.

Edit: not even sure why this whole RSR idea is suddenly having a surge of confidence as of yesterday when the one source who said it was possible has a questionable track record.

TheRealSkull

Because TSI, the river, and Big Thunder share that rustic 19th century vibe. The media from Cars is modern times. And assuming the idea that Frontierland up to TBA gets rethemed to fit with TBA and pushes Frontierland to Big Thunder and beyond…an RSR clone just isn’t gonna fit with that. Or even worse, Big Thunder gets a retheme as part of its rumored refurb to be set in the Cars world.
Then you do what Disneyland did with Galaxy's Edge and make the land seperate from Frontierland, but create a cohesive and believable transition. Would not be hard to do at all, as long as RSR/Cars Land has no connection to Frontierland.

That would even make for a better transition than from the Tea Cups into Tomorrowland, and yet for some reason, no one seems to complain about that.

Delta-7

Then you do what Disneyland did with Galaxy's Edge and make the land seperate from Frontierland, but create a cohesive and believable transition. Would not be hard to do at all, as long as RSR/Cars Land has no connection to Frontierland.

That would even make for a better transition than from the Tea Cups into Tomorrowland, and yet for some reason, no one seems to complain about that.
The bottom line is, as many have said: RSR just doesn’t fit in Magic Kingdom. At least Coco does. The “fantasy” of Cars isn’t the same as everything else there. And as some have said, the credibility of this whole rumor isn’t that solid.

Even TRON fits the futuristic, science-fiction theme of Tomorrowland. Even with Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland, at least Star Wars does well with combining fantasy and sci-fi. If the overall opinion is those don’t fit, then those should be the only ones that don’t. No more. I myself don’t like the transition from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland, but most of that is fixable if they decide to do something with Speedway.

Furthermore, they never put Cars Land in Disneyland where GE is, and that was before the latter. Paris only has Cars stuff in Studios (later DAW). They could’ve put something Cars where Geyser Mountain would’ve been. But they didn’t. This “modern car culture” has more of a DHS vibe than MK.

People can keep defending this idea if they so please, but I know of a certain entertainment channel known for themed entertainment critiques who most likely won’t….

TheRealSkull

The bottom line is, as many have said: RSR just doesn’t fit in Magic Kingdom. At least Coco does. The “fantasy” of Cars isn’t the same as everything else there. And as some have said, the credibility of this whole rumor isn’t that solid.

Even TRON fits the futuristic, science-fiction theme of Tomorrowland. Even with Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland, at least Star Wars does well with combining fantasy and sci-fi. If the overall opinion is those don’t fit, then those should be the only ones that don’t. No more. I myself don’t like the transition from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland, but most of that is fixable if they decide to do something with Speedway.

Furthermore, they never put Cars Land in Disneyland where GE is, and that was before the latter. Paris only has Cars stuff in Studios (later DAW). They could’ve put something Cars where Geyser Mountain would’ve been. But they didn’t. This “modern car culture” has more of a DHS vibe than MK.

People can keep defending this idea if they so please, but I know of a certain entertainment channel known for themed entertainment critiques who most likely won’t….
Yes, I agree it fits better in DHS, considering it needs it more, but I personally wouldn't mind it in Magic Kingdom for the reasons I listed above. We're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, considering reaching a conclusion to this boils down to whether we feel if a certain IP fits a certain "vibe" of a theme park or not. That's why the reaction to this has been pretty split. All a matter of preference.

In the Parks
No
Here's the thing: Disney already broke the "Magic Kingdom" mold when they built Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland, or arguably even when they built Toontown. Anything they put behind Big Thunder has the potential to stick out like a sore thumb. The "good" thing about the Coco idea is that it could kind of fit into a Mexican quarter of Frontierland, so it wouldn't just be a Coco-land. Technically, they could put Radiator Springs in behind Big Thunder, with a transition element. However, it could only be as a new land, and I wouldn't like that. AND I think it's rather shortsighted when DHS could really use something like that (and I mean the full Radiator Springs, with more than just the E-Ticket). That said, I want something new for DHS, not just a rehash of Radiator Springs.

BrianLo

not even sure why this whole RSR idea is suddenly having a surge of confidence as of yesterday when the one source who said it was possible has a questionable track record.

There's no surge of confidence. There's just seemingly a new poster wishfully hoping.

RSR is not in consideration for Magic Kingdom. I don't even think it's in consideration for WDW at all, though that mystery DHS project seems unnamed.

It's also a bit of a franchise in decline. I think it holds significant weight and nostalgia for Gen Z, but I don't think Gen Alpha really pays attention to it much. It's not a bad franchise and it's a delightful land in DCA, but it is well over a decade old.

I think the reason that is has to do with getting a bit left behind. Disney pivoted from princesses and cars and toy story when Marvel and Star Wars entered the mix. Cars feels like it was punted for Spiderman.

BrianLo

Those complaints were being vocalized not for the reasons of cloning, but rather because people did not want Star Wars intruding upon Walt's original park.

I’m not sure if you had a pseudonym, but the complaints were being lodged against DHS, which was the park receiving a clone.

I had many criticisms in the Disneyland facing board that they were not actually designing something for DHS, but using a weird layout meant to wrap around the rivers of America with giant empty berms that made no sense. And that Galaxies edge was 2 e tickets only, which didn’t really service the needs of DHS’a lack of variety of attractions very well.

But at least they were co developed projects and didn’t come 15-20 years late

yensidtlaw1969

That’s actually a pretty popular complaint on these boards. It’s pretty frequently regarded as the worst thematic transition in MK.

Still doesn’t justify Cars Land in Magic Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom