News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

fgmnt

Dont forget to consider what they show us and what they actually do........
Right, keep in mind we are not even at that “close second” point yet. We’re at best 6 months from anyone staking down any runoff barriers or buoys on this project.

Also, this has been iterated a lot, but unlike the deliberate slow walking of capital projects the last 5 years, this one can only go so fast no matter how much money you throw at it.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I posted this in the DHS thread, but it belongs here as well:

We're at a very interesting confluence of timelines here.

The resort has been subject to both under investment and mis-investment for nearly two decades. Iger's "Blue Ocean" strategy has proven to be a failure. Years of trading fewer onsite guests for higher cost per guest have crashed the hotel business, with ancillary damage to the convention, group events, and food services arms. Formidable competition just up the road, for the first time with the prospect of a legit weeklong resort
I don't think they're changing their strategy with this anytime soon though. Everything indicates that they are still trying to squeeze as much as possible out of guests.
experience.

Even with all that, TWDC leadership needed TWO major external factors to push them to this:

- A real, honest threat against their control of the company, and
- An "excuse" to move forward with site investment, afforded by the negotiated settlement with the state government.

In any event... much of these plans are still in flux, though the lion's share of it is funded and - generally speaking - plots and properties have been settled.

Buckle up.
Disney can be very fast with Announcements because they are quick and easy.
Construction on the other hand....

Are we looking at 2030ish before this is ready?

Jrb1979

Not completely clear, but I would assume openings to begin by 2028 or so.
I'd be impressed if that happens. If they wanted to build something quickly they can. The issue is they like to pay for it over multiple quarters to spread costs. For once why not be proactive

PREMiERdrum

It took them 3 years for Galaxy's edge and 2 for Toy Story Land. So that would mean around a 2025 start. If permits are imminent that means the design work is mostly done.

I think the Adventureland plot would be then but the stuff north and west? That would be ambitious.
Whatever they do beyond BT would be later.

AL and AK openings then are realistic - they want visible construction happening before next summer. For reasons.

peng

I can guess said reasons easily (parkgoers seeing a rival company opening a big shiny new park and wondering why there isn't anything new at disney). Disney will probably stretch said construction out as long as possible, because Disney.

Jrb1979

AL and AK openings then are realistic - they want visible construction happening before next summer. For reasons.
Sounds to me like they just realized Epic Universe is coming and they need something for after it opens.

I don't get it. Prior to COVID, they had their problems but they were more proactive and were known as being tops in guest satisfaction. Since they have gone away from all of that.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member

So then realistically we're looking at 1 addition in the next 5 years to the MK, with a new land to follow in early 2030's?

Teddybearre

With your user name I feel you'd agree with me and want a Headless Horseman attraction. :)

Have no idea how they would do that, but a Sleepy Hollow dark ride would be phenomenal.
If they’re gonna bring us Villains land, I want them to go ALL OUT. Give us NBC, give us Headless Horseman, give us Yzma’s factory tour, give us that Ursula spinner that was leaked out for WDS, give us everything they can possibly think of. Villains is a goldmine of a theme, and I don’t want them to skimp out

Last edited:

MouseEarsMom33

If they’re gonna bring us Villains land, I want them to go ALL OUT. Give us NBC, give us Headless Horseman, give us Yzma’s factory tour, give us that Ursula spinner that was leaked out for WDS, give us everything they can possibly think of. Villains is a goldmine of a theme, and I don’t want them to skimp out
We'll unfortunately end up with only two rides if it's like Galaxy Edge

Cliff

Take a look at the infrastructure required to build back there, I say longer and long after Bob is gone. The times they are a changin' but not fast and not that fast
I can only guess that Disney's tactic is to spread the cost through as many years as they can so that it doesnt hurt their annual reports as bad.

If Disney has to spent $1, they try to pay it $.20 cents per year. (Or less based on how bad Disney's finances are hurting for any particular year)

I don't know if other lands like Galaxy's Edge or Toy Story land or even Animal Kingdom or Epcot or MGM Studios were built on finacial restrictions like that???

It seems like Animal Kingdom was built at FULL speed. It seems like Epic Universe is racing at full speed.

Even the new...and VERY simple Epcot coutyard park bench area was spread out across many years. I was there dozens of trips where I saw ZERO construction crews on site. It was just a dead-zone with nobody working behind the walls. Monorail views over the walls showed how empty it was.

So...these new lands "could" be even 6 or 7 years away??

Last edited:

Splashin' Ryan

based on how bad Disney's finances are hurting for any particular year
Exactly I think we quickly forgot the main reason for so many delays, cancellations, and lackluster offerings of newness was because of covid initially. We would have bigger and already done Epcot plans by now, we would likely have the tree on top of TBA and a much bigger 50th but spending cuts sounded like they were mandated from above.

Unfortunately, what's to say another event doesn't take place within the next 10 years that shifts spending and timelines dramatically again? Bantering about opening timelines for an unannounced project of this scale right now is trivial.

Teddybearre

Ok so today I did some digging, and found this rumor map from Passport Wonderland on Twitter.
cachedImage.jpg
I noticed that one of the things on the map is called an “Ursula flat ride.” I then remembered that back in 2021, Jim Shull posted on Twitter this piece of concept art for an Ursula spinner. Note how it says “le jardin d’Ursula” in the bottom right corner.
IMG_0870.jpeg

Now you may be wondering why I’m bringing up a WDS rumor in a Beyond Big Thunder thread, but hear me out. There are already rumors that Disney may clone the rumored Lion King boat ride to Animal Kingdom. A villains land is also rumored to be coming to BBT…so if this Ursula spinner is real and is coming to WDS, could Disney be thinking about cloning it to WDW as well to be part of a Villains land???

jeanericuser001

A couple thoughts:

2 encanto attractions in the future. The question now is which is the ride and which is the show. My money is on an encanto ride at MK and a show at AK. The slot at AK is just big enough for a decent show space plus if they do axe the nemo attraction nearby then it leaves them with a perfect entrance and exit for the show. An encanto ride at mk would fit well with coco though I often wondered if coco would possibly one day replace the current mexico ride. My guess is the coco ride is gonna have some form of 3d element. Overall it should be a very colorful attraction.

If they are thinking about doing villains then Im hoping for a Mickey's house of villains restaurant. It would certainly make for a unique restaurant where each area is themed to a different villain. The menu could be based on different favorite menu items of all the villains. As for rides, I thought about sleepy hollow dark ride rollercoaster but Im not sure if disney is willing to consider something that morbid.

Does this also mean the paddleboat ride and train ride will be getting some changes. This is gonna definately alter the train ride experience once again.

If they are already hitting the gas on this then they must be nearly finished with splash mountain retheme. Will that also mean pecos bills it about to get the axe dropped on its gizzard? Need to know if I should get one last meal from there before it gets the new orleans retheme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom