News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Starship824

In the Parks
No
The only things that would necessitate closure would be a RoA re-route or an eastern connection from the expansion to the rest of the park. There really should be a connection to the expansion in addition to the path by Splash that could easily go in.
You think they would add a railroad station in this area to make transportation easier since the walk up there would be pretty long. Also with Disneyland doing the star wars music during the fireworks now, I hope they do something similar with the potential villains land.

OSUPhantom

In terms of villains land, go big concept. Have a version of a Fantasyland with some subtextual traces of malevolence, but not outwardly scary. Come dusk, a lightning package kicks in (a la Radiator Springs) slightly transforms the land into something more sinister.

The night parties and/or desert packages for the transformation pays for itself.
Playfully spooky is an easy thing to accomplish thematically. Any fears of it being too scary are ridiculous in my opinion.

Horizonsfan

If they ever did put a resort in that plot, it would be interesting to see if they try to connect it to MK directly with its own entrance.

A secondary entrance seems almost mandatory at this point to handled the increased park capacity. That and/or upgrading the MS bypass into a constant onstage area with stronger theming.

Main Street, as is, can’t handle much more. Even Disneyland has a secondary access with the monorail station.

The big question in my mind is how they’d direct more than one or two resort’s worth of guests to a secondary entrance. There’s a lot of different ways to attack it, but each has their own drawbacks.

doctornick

It would be very bad for park navigation for them to leave RoA as-is. BTMR is already an inconvenient dead-end. Adding a huge expansion past that without connecting it to Fantasyland or Liberty Square would be a navigational nightmare. And adding a long trek past HM to the new expansion, with nothing to do on the way, wouldn’t be ideal either.

They don't have to do anything to the river/railroad/TSI to make that work. They can build a guest path north from behind BTMRR from the Splash bathrooms and RR station. There is a path there that could be extended north, over the canal and to the open space outside the RR berm.

DisneyDodo

They don't have to do anything to the river/railroad/TSI to make that work. They can build a guest path north from behind BTMRR from the Splash bathrooms and RR station. There is a path there that could be extended north, over the canal and to the open space outside the RR berm.
Sorry, I’m not following. Are you suggesting to make a loop that essentially goes around BTMR?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
a visual
1712250869590.png

ToTBellHop

Yes that is the main entrance. They need a second, I’d think. If the expansion wraps around RoA like SWGE in DL, they’ll need at least 1 eastern connection to the park. SWGE in DL has 2.

fgmnt

Excuse my poor photoshop skills

View attachment 777035
They are probably going to loop it back to HM but I feel like the park would flow a lot better if you tore out the Village Haus and bathroom and built a path between IASW and NFL. Would need to build what is effectively a bridge over the northern utilidor portal and maybe that work would hurt operations.

fgmnt

I still don't think a Villains' Land is such a good idea. I'd much rather have, say, an Aladdin dark ride than an exclusively Jafar dark ride, or a Hercules ride over an exclusively Hades ride.
I think you can tell an interesting all ages story that teams up a significant amount of villains from the Renaissance/adjacent roster. Jafar, Hades, Ursula, and Yzma would all play very well off each other: supernaturally powerful villains brought to life by real scenery chewing performances.

yensidtlaw1969

MK definitely needs to "buildout" Main Street in order for the bypass to be open all-day. Hoping this is a smaller project that gets approved.
The covered Arcades that flank the East and West sides of Main Street at Disneyland Paris are one of the park's most clever, useful, and beautiful flourishes. They also let into all the Main Street shops from the back sides, which allows for continued shopping during parades, storms, and fireworks shows while also permitting guest flow in and out of the park:

1712251385255.png

1712251393587.png

Compare to WDW's Main Street Bypass on the east side and the difference is . . . 😳. If only Magic Kingdom got a real equivalent to the above:

1712251574938.png

DisneyDodo

Got it. Yea, I suggested that this would be a possibility, but my concern is that the right arrow represents a long empty pathway. It wouldn’t be the end of the world, but it wouldn’t be great either because it still means getting to that new land is kind of a pain from the right side of the park.
As opposed to something like this:
1712251682338.png

where you have a land just past HM, which you can visit on your way to the other land.

J4546

the hm que is terrible and apparently their have been plans to redo it for a long time and the shade structures that are in fron of HM right now were only meant to be temporary. at least I think i heard that on here...maybe they could swap the graveyard to the western side and use that area as a themed que and then put a dedicated carriage house gift shop like in DL, where the current graveyard is.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom