Best day - ahem, WEEK - ever! Blue skies and sunshine, guaranteed! ( A May 4 - 11 trip report)

Less than 12 hours ago I stepped off of my return flight from Orlando to a rainy, dreary Providence. After picking up one dog from my parents' house, returning home to our other dog and maybe a quick nap that I snuck in, I'm ready to start my trip report!

When did we go? May 4 - 11th! Where did we stay? Caribbean Beach Resort! Who are we? Jess and Rich, happily married for 5 1/2 years residing in Massachusetts with our two furkids, Blitzen and Belle! Halfway through the trip we were joined by cousin and her husband, Crystal and Erik, along with Erik's cousin Amanda and her fiance Mike and their friends Celina and Brad. Along with a few friends we met up with along the way. Why did we go? Because we wanted to!

Saturday, May 4th
My alarm went off nice and early at 3:00 am. I had also set it for 3:01, 3:02, 3:03, 3:04 and 3:05 - just in case! But I woke up right at the first alarm, shut off the rest of them and hopped in the shower and got ready to go. I woke Rich up at 3:45 so he could get himself together and get the luggage loaded into the car. We got on the road at about 4:15 heading to the airport with a stop at the ATM first. About 2 1/2 miles down the road the check engine light came on in Rich's car. We decided the best thing to do would be to turn around, switch the luggage in to my car and take that. After transferring the luggage and stopping at the ATM, we were on our way to TF Green.

Packing up the night before.

D1-1_zpsb7c2418d.jpg

We parked the car at about 5 am and took the shuttle to the airport from the long term lot. Check in and security took us a whopping 15 minutes to get through, if that. We headed down to gate 21 to wait to board our flight. The sun was shining and it was going to be a great morning for flying!

D1-2_zps7aa0a104.jpg

We ended up landing about 25 minutes early and headed straight for the Magical Express. Wow was it ever crowded! The lines were crazy long! But they moved quickly. About 20 minutes later we were on our bus heading for Caribbean Beach. It was rainy and foggy in Orlando. I checked the weather and it was set to clear out shortly.

30iernq.jpg

We arrived at the Custom House at Caribbean Beach after first dropping off guests at the Beach Club and the Boardwalk. I did my check-in online so it was pretty quickly that we got through. The Custom House was very busy. Lots of people checking in and out. A lot of people there for the Everest Challenge and cheering competitions. I was starting to get nervous that we had picked a bad week to be there, but later that day my worries subsided.

Our village for the next 7 nights would be Barbados. We were in building 14, room number 1427. It was a first floor room with an adorable little courtyard area right outside our door. While waiting for the internal bus to come pick us up we realized building #14 was right across from the Custom House and we could walk over. So walk we did! Our room was ready thankfully, so we dropped off our stuff and headed to Old Port Royale for some lunch. It was now about 11:30 and I was set to meet Kingdom Camera Rentals at 1:00 to pick up a lens I rented. I got a text from them saying if I could meet earlier they were in the area! They met me at Old Port Royale about 15 minutes later with a beautiful Canon 10-22mm lens to use. I was just as excited to test out the lens as I was for the trip itself!

It was still spitting out but there were breaks of blue sky starting to show and they looked promising. At 1:30 our Alamo shuttle came to pick us up so we could go get our rental car for the week. We were given a 2012 Chevy Impala. Nothing fancy, but it worked and it was comfortable!

Some pictures from strolling around the resort...

Rich looking for turtles...
D1-3_zpsd189d03b.jpg

D1-4_zps0cbdbbd9.jpg

D1-5_zps0b291f8d.jpg

D1-6_zps1a93e382.jpg

Once we got our car, we headed right over to the Magic Kingdom! We stopped at Guest Relations to get our tickets from will call. It was then I realized I'd left the papers back in the room. Thankfully I was able to retrieve the confirmation numbers from my phone. After getting our tickets we headed through the gates and we were home sweet home. This was about the point the clouds really started to break apart and the skies were getting bluer!

D1-7_zps328c39ab.jpg

D1-8_zps45303796.jpg

The first stop at MK was to get Rich a taco salad. We had an Ohana reservation for later that night (9:20 pm) and Rich had really wanted to try one. We both got a taco salad from Pecos Bill's. It wasn't horrible. But it isn't something I'd write home about, either.

D1-9_zpse0989efe.jpg

Our next stop was Haunted Mansion. We walked on. This was when my fears of the crowds being crazy started drifting away. For a Saturday it was quite calm at Magic Kingdom, and it would only get better later in the week!

Trying on some hats on our way over to HM

D1-10_zps743d8fae.jpg

Looking good, hunnie!
D1-11_zpsca892b28.jpg

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
After we pretty much walked on to Under the Sea, we headed over to PeopleMover. While we were riding by Space Mountain we noticed the wait time was 10 minutes, so it was off to Space Mountain we went!

My kind of queue - an empty one :)

i-shxhmxf-L.jpg

The boys discussing their next move...

i-QVkDGHj-L.jpg

They decided they were going to go on Astro Orbiter. While they were in line, Crystal and I made two rounds on PeopleMover again. When the boys came off the ride they had this look of semi horror and embarassment on their faces. I asked what happened and Rich explained that when they were asked how many in their party, they said "two" assuming they would get a rocket for each of them. Nope. They were placed together and sat in one rocket together. Crystal and I were just about crying from laughing so hard. I just wished we could have been there to witness it.

So after the trauma of being too close for comfort with one another had subsided, we made our way over to Space Ranger Spin. I beat Rich's score, again :)

It was about 4:15 now and we had a 5:05 ADR at Tony's so we made our way up Main Street browsing in the shops along the way.

I love Center Street :)

i-2fKjZ2B-L.jpg

i-nw8JZ5d-L.jpg

I'll take one of each, thanks :)

i-Dm85XzV-L.jpg

I found this figure of Baloo and Mowgli (love Baloo!) and found a Hidden Mickey :)

i-357P5cF-L.jpg

Next stop was the Confectionary. Erik picked up some peanut butter rice krispie balls to bring back to the hotel with him. Everything looked and smelled delicious...

i-HFw5s2Z-L.jpg

We got to Tony's a bit early and checked in. We were seated about five minutes later.

i-zCRv86R-L.jpg

Beautiful woodwork...

i-DqKvFxQ-L.jpg

This fountain is just too adorable...

i-3JzF7s3-L.jpg

I ordered the spaghetti with meatballs and Rich ordered the Cannelloni. I think Crystal and Erik both ordered the Cioppino. I know Tony's often has mixed reviews, but we've eaten there almost every trip and have yet to have a bad meal or service. And I just love the atmosphere, especially the Lady and the Tramp family photos around the room!

gwhb75

Great trip report. Loving all the pictures. How easy was it to do the lens rental thing? I'm going down in September and would love to try out a new lens.

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
After our meal at Tony's it was time to go back to CBR. The rest of our group had arrived from Massachusetts!

We got back to the resort and changed up. The plan was to head to Splitsville for the night. Amanda, Celina, Mike and Brad headed to Downtown Disney and we met them there later on. They hadn't eaten yet so when we got to Splitsville we all sat and had drinks. It was about 9:00 at this time so Rich and I had a little bit of an appetite and ordered the Alley Nachos (they have BBQ chicken on them - my favorite). They were delicious. And I warn you, this is one of those things that tastes really good, but photographs really bad.

i-W6xRvfs-M.jpg

I also ordered a Strawberry Colada as seen at the front of the table in my picture below. It was amazing. The guys ordered beer, the other girls had margaritas (in the blue cups with the straws).

i-9z7bRVx-L.jpg

Crystal and Erik ordered sushi. She said it was delicious and the portions were plentiful. After dinner, Celina and Brad decided to go explore Downtown Disney while the other six of us bowled. I have to say, the thought of bowling on a Disney vacation wasn't extremely appealing to me as I can bowl at home, but I'm glad we did it. Splitsville was SO much fun. We paid $20 per person and got an hour and forty-five minutes of bowling time in, which was about 2 1/2 games. The price of the food and the bowling was very reasonable. The service was great, too. Splitsville gets two thumbs up in our book.

Amanda bowling...

i-77wRMCr-L.jpg

Go Crystal!

i-Pbg3fSW-L.jpg

We finished our game around 11:30 or so. We were all pretty tired so we headed back to CBR and called it a night.

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
Thursday, May 9th

Today we were heading to Epcot. Amanda, Mike, Celina and Brad were up and out earlier than the rest of us and headed to Epcot to get on Test Track. Crystal, Erik, Rich and Myself got to Epcot at about 10:30. Our first stop was to get Fast Passes for Test Track. Amanda texted Erik (they're cousins) and said they grabbed FP before they got in line and their time was for 1:05 - 2:05. When we got to the FP machines the time was for 1:30 - 2:30, so we grabbed them and headed over toward The Seas. The line was a little lengthy, but it moved really quick (about 5 minutes). Next we walked over to the Land. Erik really wanted to get on Living with the Land, so we walked on to that.

i-t9L8bg6-L.jpg

Mickey in the front, "Epcot" growing in the back.

i-Ghz4xGC-L.jpg

CM fixing a hose...

i-zpDxrb7-L.jpg

None of us had eaten breakfast that day, so we opted to have lunch at Sunshine Seasons. Rich got the usual turkey & monterey jack and I got the caesar salad. At this point the other four of our group found us and we headed over to Soarin'. The wait time posted was 40 minutes, not too bad, so we got in line. Celina and Brad didn't want to do Soarin', so they went off on their own and met up with us later in the day. It was more like a 25 minute wait instead of 40, which was probably our longest wait of the entire trip, aside from waiting in line at La Cava on Cinco de Mayo :)

After Soarin' was the big moment of our Epcot day - Captain EO. The entire first two days of the trip the boys spent singing "Change the World" and Erik and Mike were beyond excited to wear their special attire on our Epcot day. When we got to Captain EO, they decided to do a signature MJ pose and CMs in the area were applauding them on their shirts.

i-jSK5c5J-L.jpg

It was time for us to use our FastPasses, so we were Test Track bound. Rich hadn't been on since the update so I was excited for him to try it (I went on in January). He really enjoyed it and said he liked it better than the original. I realized I didn't get any pictures of Test Track. Actually, the last two full days we were there I took far less photos than the previous days. I was afraid of holding the rest of our group up so I didn't snap as many.

After Test Track, Erik was on a mission to get his face painted to go with his Jack Sparrow hat. While he got his face painted the rest of us went in to Mouse Gear. The facepaint was over in about 10 minutes and next on the agenda was to meet Celina and Brad in Mexico and go to La Cava for margaritas. I again ordered the cucumber margarita and Rich the coffee. Yum. And with that we kicked off the start of our World Showcase tour!

i-gG6GhnK-L.jpg

i-SbkxjfK-L.jpg

i-H6FMW9M-L.jpg

Once we got to Germany, Rich and Erik wanted to stop at the Bier Stand for some, well, beer :)

So here is my husband being a trooper sporting my Vera backpack and there's Erik as Jack Sparrow (and yes, his eyes are closed).

i-3L27kbT-L.jpg

One of my favorite pavilions...

i-RTWpvTh-L.jpg

Italy!

i-SqMPPRr-L.jpg

i-NdPhbzP-L.jpg

Once we walked in to America, we heard Voices of Liberty performing outside. I believe there was an event being held inside of the American Adventure building because we saw chairs and tables being wheeled in. Erik (who is very patriotic) was saying he wished they would sing the National Anthem, and they did! Absolutely beautiful.

Next stop: Japan!

i-FBBrkpP-L.jpg

i-LWWg28G-L.jpg

Between all of the countries we had done some stopping for photos, shopping and beverage consumption and we were in Morocco about an hour before our Restaurant Marrakesh ADR. We checked in early and were seated immediately. I've always been a bit nervous to eat there in fear I wouldn't find anything I would enjoy, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. A couple people in our group got the Marrakesh Feast, the rest of us got the Shish Kebab or the Chicken Couscous. I had the shish kebab which was really, really good. When it came time for the dessert to come out for the ones who ordered the Marrakesh Feast (I think Erik and Mike), the CM brought out a plate of assorted Morrocan baklavas for each couple at no extra charge, which was really nice! And they were yummy!

i-x5mKckk-L.jpg

I loved the inside of the restaurant. Absolutely beautiful and the live music and belly dancer were great!

i-2HCF4JN-L.jpg

i-Vhr6r22-L.jpg

Shish kebab...

i-HV469gP-L.jpg

Baklavas...

i-Rmxw943-L.jpg

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
After dinner the other six of our group were going to finish their world tour. Rich and I were going to head over to Port Orleans Riverside. For anyone who has read my previous trip reports know that I am a huge fan of Bob Jackson at River Roost, so it was a must that we see him before our trip was over! We hopped a Friendship and headed across World Showcase Lagoon after walking through the shops in Morocco.

Post-dinner social media updates...

i-N9Xdfmr-L.jpg

i-njWPMd4-L.jpg

i-sPxPJ3F-L.jpg

Once we got off the boat I had to stop and take this photo, it was too picture perfect not to. And I wish those floating planters were out all the time. I love them.

i-qGwTW2v-L.jpg

I hadn't gotten a picture of the Monsters University topiaries yet so I checked that off my list...

i-HxrJ6jL-L.jpg

Oh. I almost forgot. Probably because this was embarassing for me. While in line for Soarin' I realized I lost the lens cap for the 10-22. Now since I've had my DSLR since last summer I've not lost a lens cap, memory card, etc. Well, of course, when I RENT a lens, I lost it. The camera strap I have was ordered off of Etsy and has a pocket made into it that secures the lens cap, which I love. Well, on the 10-22, the lens cap is much larger and doesn't fit in the pocket. Often times I would slip it in my back pocket of my jeans or in a pocket on my backpack if I was using it a lot. The last two days I just kept putting the cap back on the lens because I wasn't taking as many photos being that there was a group of 8 of us. So somewhere after Living with the Land and getting in line for Soarin', I lost it. I checked with CMs and no one had turned it in. So I was told to check guest relations on the way out of the park, which I did, but no one had turned one in. I was so bummed out that I lost it. It must have gotten knocked off because it wasn't secured tightly.

So anyways, it was off to guest relations we went...

i-4MzXRBH-L.jpg

i-sBmMpxx-L.jpg

After not relocating the lens cap, we headed off to POR to see Bob!

See ya later, Epcot!

i-X579DGM-L.jpg

As always, Bob put on a great show. Rich and I enjoyed a few drinks and laughs. It was a nice way to end the day! When we got back to CBR, the rest of the group was at the pool, so we stopped at Banana Cabana to grab a couple of drinks (and I got myself a Mickey Bar!) and we relaxed poolside for the rest of the night.

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
Friday, May 10th

Our last full day. Whomp, whomp. I hate this day almost as much as the day I actually leave. The day I leave I'm usually ready to just get the traveling done with and be home (I hate flying). But the day before is always bittersweet. Like I have a whole full day of Disney left, but it's also my last day, and I dread the leaving day. I'm sure someone else can relate!

So today Rich and I were up early and heading to Magic Kingdom to meet Amanda, Mike, Celina and Brad. The plan was to skip breakfast and meet up at 10:00 am in front of Be Our Guest to get in at 10:30 for a very early lunch to avoid the crazy waits anytime after it opens. First I had to meet Ron from Kingdom Camera Rentals at 8:00 and return the lens, sans lens cap. Thankfully he said they had plenty of extras because I wasn't the first one to lose a lens cap. Phew! I felt awful that I lost it, but he understood!

We took the ferry over to MK and Rich and I took our time down Main Street before heading up to New Fantasyland. We stopped and watched the Springtime Trolley Show.

For anyone who might watch Hart of Dixie, does the man in green remind you of George Tucker?! Every time I see a picture of him I think that.

i-vjb5Sjb-L.jpg

We made our way up to Fantasyland, first walking through Cinderella Castle. I love this view. The excitement and hustle and bustle of Main Street in the morning...

i-2ZdbnXR-L.jpg

We walked through Cinderella Castle and stopped in Sir Mickey's...

i-zkP3VnN-L.jpg

i-R2NstCx-L.jpg

i-8HmvFLS-L.jpg

i-B8CCmLW-L.jpg

The other four were on Under the Sea and then were meeting Ariel before meeting up with us, so we waited at the entrance to the line at Be Our Guest. A CM told us we could get in line and the rest of our party could just catch up with us. About two minutes after getting in line they showed up, right at 10:00.

i-pL89tJD-L.jpg

i-Mj7n8ft-L.jpg

i-xnrLBLk-L.jpg

i-9vLhf8F-L.jpg

We waited in line for 30 minutes and I think we all lost five pounds while doing so. It was the warmest day of the trip, and sticky, too. It was about 85 degrees already and if you've waited on that bridge you know there is no shade at all lol. But at least I got some good color :) We opted to sit in the West Wing. Rich and I ordered the Croque Monsieur which was really good. The last two visits to BoG I sat in the ballroom, which I loved. I enjoyed the West Wing, too.

After lunch Rich and I split up from the group and headed to Mickey's Philharmagic. They were heading to Space Mountain. We were going to meet up with everyone later on at Epcot. After MP, we headed back toward the Tangled restrooms. I couldn't go through without some pictures...

i-C28qvxW-L.jpg

i-JzmQ27Q-L.jpg

i-xvLcV9f-L.jpg

i-kTjjbMR-L.jpg

i-pZnzGn2-L.jpg

i-SKbnMrQ-L.jpg

Of course, we couldn't pass by Haunted Mansion without getting on!

i-fNzD625-L.jpg

We hadn't been able to get on Big Thunder yet this trip, so next up was Frontierland!

i-zjvvpRF-L.jpg

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
The wait time posted for Big Thunder was 50 minutes. I asked Rich what he wanted to do and he said he didn't feel like waiting in the sun, so we moved along. Rich (somehow) has never seen Country Bear Jamboree. The next show started in 8 minutes so we waited. I love CBJ, always have. After we got out I asked Rich what he thought, and I quote, "Please, don't EVER make me go through that again!" Guess I'll have to save that for my solo trips!

But because not everyone despises CBJ as Rich does, here are some pictures...

i-6bfZ75r-L.jpg

i-Hxc9WB8-L.jpg

I mean, come on! How can you not LOVE Big Al?!

i-5M4FH88-L.jpg

i-JgntbzX-L.jpg

After CBJ we decided our visit to MK was over. It was getting busy and aside from Big Thunder, we'd done everything we wanted to pretty much. On our way out of Frontierland into Adventureland, we heard someone yell. "Hey guys!" and we looked to our right and it was the family we made friends with at Raglan Road! They were getting ready to head to Bibbidi Bobbidi with the girls before dinner. It was nice to see them again. As we rounded the corner into Adventureland we saw Amanda and the group enjoying some Dole Whips. Rich asked if I wanted one but I said no. I was full from our lunch at BoG. We said hi and bye real quick and made our way out of MK. Move It! Shake It! Celebrate It! was heading back down Main Street through the gates by the Fire Station so we stopped and watched.

i-GKvxjvm-L.jpg

i-S96xR24-L.jpg

i-H2Bz6Bn-L.jpg

i-gMxwTkp-L.jpg

We still had a good amount of time left in our day so we hopped a monorail and decided to visit all of the resorts on the track. The first stop was the Contemporary, where Rich fell asleep in one of the comfy chairs by the Outer Rim. After his 45 minute nap, we headed to the Poly. Now that lunch had settled, we went downstairs to Captain Cook's and I got a self serve Dole Whip. Refreshing! And then our final stop was the Grand Floridian. We wandered the lobby for a bit and listened to the piano. Very soothing. A little too much as we both started yawning and decided we'd better head to T&TC and get our car before we got too comfy.

I didn't take any pictures at the Contemporary or Poly, but here's a few from the Grand Floridian...

i-BQ47CjH-L.jpg

i-QBPwhRr-L.jpg

i-5JbJWXg-L.jpg

i-4cNthz5-L.jpg

And my very last picture for this trip, the monorail...

i-kdx7Cbf-L.jpg

After getting our car in the parking lot, Rich and I decided Earl of Sandwich would be perfect for lunch. We stopped at CBR, freshened up and changed and headed Downtown. After Earl, we headed to Epcot for EMH. Just as we entered Epcot we ran into Danielle and Ashley (@Kingdom Konsultant 's daughters) and chatted with them for a bit. The other 6 we traveled with were having dinner at Akershus and we were going to meet up with them after IllumiNations. Somewhere in that time frame I started feeling gross. Usually happens to me once every trip that I have a night I feel "off." We decided to head back to CBR for the night so we could start packing. I was sad because I was looking forward to spending the evening with everyone, but I just wasn't feeling up to it. So we headed back to CBR and packed up. I had to be up early to return the car and be back for our 7:55 am DME pickup. The next morning went smoothly, unfortunately the flight home didn't and was horribly bumpy the whole way home. But I came home with lots of pictures, a good tan and amazing memories. Couldn't ask for anything more :)

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
Totally forgot to add in the report that Mike proposed to Amanda the last night we were there, but I missed it because we left Epcot early. So congratulations Mike and Amanda!!!

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Awesome Trip report and incredible photo's.Mad also to think we were at EPCOT on the same day so if you see a tattooe'd couple in any of your pics .. HI .
Also thanks for your advice on the camera rental company. Will definatly do this on our next trip :D

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
Awesome Trip report and incredible photo's.Mad also to think we were at EPCOT on the same day so if you see a tattooe'd couple in any of your pics .. HI .
Also thanks for your advice on the camera rental company. Will definatly do this on our next trip :D

Thanks! That is funny! I always wonder how many people have me in their picures haha.

It was so easy to rent front them! I loved it. Can't wait to try some new lenses next time :)

Shere_Khan

Finding Nemo - The Musical didn't have any show times coming up soon so we wandered over to DinoLand. We walked on DINOSAUR. I won't lie, I close my eyes about 30 seconds in to the ride. Every time. I don't like things jumping out at me haha. So in every picture I've always got my eyes closed!

That is so funny you said that because I do this every single time and people repeatedly make fun of me. This ride terrifies me! I hate things jumping out!!!!
I've only experienced the ride one time where I saw what was happening and it was the first time. Once was enough!

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
That is so funny you said that because I do this every single time and people repeatedly make fun of me. This ride terrifies me! I hate things jumping out!!!!
I've only experienced the ride one time where I saw what was happening and it was the first time. Once was enough!

Haha, me too! I've only kept my eyes open the entire ride one, single time haha! I can't stand things jumping out. I've made a permanent mental note where the heads pop up in the graveyard scene at Haunted Mansion so they don't scare me lol. Good to know I'm not the only one :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom