Best day - ahem, WEEK - ever! Blue skies and sunshine, guaranteed! ( A May 4 - 11 trip report)

Less than 12 hours ago I stepped off of my return flight from Orlando to a rainy, dreary Providence. After picking up one dog from my parents' house, returning home to our other dog and maybe a quick nap that I snuck in, I'm ready to start my trip report!

When did we go? May 4 - 11th! Where did we stay? Caribbean Beach Resort! Who are we? Jess and Rich, happily married for 5 1/2 years residing in Massachusetts with our two furkids, Blitzen and Belle! Halfway through the trip we were joined by cousin and her husband, Crystal and Erik, along with Erik's cousin Amanda and her fiance Mike and their friends Celina and Brad. Along with a few friends we met up with along the way. Why did we go? Because we wanted to!

Saturday, May 4th
My alarm went off nice and early at 3:00 am. I had also set it for 3:01, 3:02, 3:03, 3:04 and 3:05 - just in case! But I woke up right at the first alarm, shut off the rest of them and hopped in the shower and got ready to go. I woke Rich up at 3:45 so he could get himself together and get the luggage loaded into the car. We got on the road at about 4:15 heading to the airport with a stop at the ATM first. About 2 1/2 miles down the road the check engine light came on in Rich's car. We decided the best thing to do would be to turn around, switch the luggage in to my car and take that. After transferring the luggage and stopping at the ATM, we were on our way to TF Green.

Packing up the night before.

D1-1_zpsb7c2418d.jpg

We parked the car at about 5 am and took the shuttle to the airport from the long term lot. Check in and security took us a whopping 15 minutes to get through, if that. We headed down to gate 21 to wait to board our flight. The sun was shining and it was going to be a great morning for flying!

D1-2_zps7aa0a104.jpg

We ended up landing about 25 minutes early and headed straight for the Magical Express. Wow was it ever crowded! The lines were crazy long! But they moved quickly. About 20 minutes later we were on our bus heading for Caribbean Beach. It was rainy and foggy in Orlando. I checked the weather and it was set to clear out shortly.

30iernq.jpg

We arrived at the Custom House at Caribbean Beach after first dropping off guests at the Beach Club and the Boardwalk. I did my check-in online so it was pretty quickly that we got through. The Custom House was very busy. Lots of people checking in and out. A lot of people there for the Everest Challenge and cheering competitions. I was starting to get nervous that we had picked a bad week to be there, but later that day my worries subsided.

Our village for the next 7 nights would be Barbados. We were in building 14, room number 1427. It was a first floor room with an adorable little courtyard area right outside our door. While waiting for the internal bus to come pick us up we realized building #14 was right across from the Custom House and we could walk over. So walk we did! Our room was ready thankfully, so we dropped off our stuff and headed to Old Port Royale for some lunch. It was now about 11:30 and I was set to meet Kingdom Camera Rentals at 1:00 to pick up a lens I rented. I got a text from them saying if I could meet earlier they were in the area! They met me at Old Port Royale about 15 minutes later with a beautiful Canon 10-22mm lens to use. I was just as excited to test out the lens as I was for the trip itself!

It was still spitting out but there were breaks of blue sky starting to show and they looked promising. At 1:30 our Alamo shuttle came to pick us up so we could go get our rental car for the week. We were given a 2012 Chevy Impala. Nothing fancy, but it worked and it was comfortable!

Some pictures from strolling around the resort...

Rich looking for turtles...
D1-3_zpsd189d03b.jpg

D1-4_zps0cbdbbd9.jpg

D1-5_zps0b291f8d.jpg

D1-6_zps1a93e382.jpg

Once we got our car, we headed right over to the Magic Kingdom! We stopped at Guest Relations to get our tickets from will call. It was then I realized I'd left the papers back in the room. Thankfully I was able to retrieve the confirmation numbers from my phone. After getting our tickets we headed through the gates and we were home sweet home. This was about the point the clouds really started to break apart and the skies were getting bluer!

D1-7_zps328c39ab.jpg

D1-8_zps45303796.jpg

The first stop at MK was to get Rich a taco salad. We had an Ohana reservation for later that night (9:20 pm) and Rich had really wanted to try one. We both got a taco salad from Pecos Bill's. It wasn't horrible. But it isn't something I'd write home about, either.

D1-9_zpse0989efe.jpg

Our next stop was Haunted Mansion. We walked on. This was when my fears of the crowds being crazy started drifting away. For a Saturday it was quite calm at Magic Kingdom, and it would only get better later in the week!

Trying on some hats on our way over to HM

D1-10_zps743d8fae.jpg

Looking good, hunnie!
D1-11_zpsca892b28.jpg

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
Tuesday, May 7th

Today was going to be a bit more of a relaxed day. We were starting off at Animal Kingdom then spending the evening at Downtown Disney. My cousin Crystal and her husband Erik were flying in that evening, yay!

We got to Animal Kingdom around 10:00 and headed straight for Kilimanjaro Safaris. This was one of our longer waits this trip. It was about 25 minutes or so, but it went fast. We ended up getting the last row of the truck to ourselves. I didn't take a million pictures like I usually do. Using the ultra wide angle lens I was more in it for the landscape than the animals.

Here are a few from safari:

Waiting under the trees...

i-GfzkjB7-L.jpg

i-qD4jktF-L.jpg

i-BqwVNLg-L.jpg

i-SpFggCZ-L.jpg

i-xc97fRw-L.jpg

i-33cfLZB-L.jpg

i-cWJzmvv-L.jpg

i-LGDrT39-L.jpg

We had a great safari! We saw just about every animal except for the lions. They weren't out. The giraffes were all over. There was a baby elephant trotting and shaking its head about. Absolutely adorable!

After safari we walked through the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail.

i-3XPR9hX-L.jpg

i-n3LP5Cw-L.jpg

The trails were pretty busy so it took us a while to get through and see everything. By this time it was around 11:15 or so. We didn't eat breakfast so we headed to Pizzafari for lunch (it's our favorite). Rich got the italian sandwich and I got the veggie pizza. One thing I love about Pizzafari are the murals and details. Above our heads in the room we ate in there were snails and turtles glued to the ceiling beams like they were crawling along them. There are also bats and butterflies, too.

i-LFPJDvH-L.jpg

Inside Pizzafari...

i-34VdCK5-L.jpg

We finished lunch around 12:10 and the next showing of Festival of the Lion King was set to start at 12:30. Rich isn't as enthusiastic about the show as I am, but we watched it. He also made friends with a nice gentleman from North Carolina who happened to know my stepmother's family who live in the same town as him. Talk about a small world :)

i-3HZZngP-L.jpg

After Festival of the Lion King we headed out of Camp Minnie-Mickey toward the Tree of Life.

i-dp69GqK-L.jpg

i-snb58RR-L.jpg

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
i-3nnhzFh-L.jpg

After chatting with a few CMs about the wildlife around the Tree of Life we got in line to see Dug. He had just a couple people in line for him. I didn't give my camera to anyone, so once I order PP I'll have that picture.

We walked down behind Flame Tree BBQ so I could get some pictures of Everest. It was a bit hectic with people eating so I took a picture of this fountain and left.

i-BM68RTV-L.jpg

Heading in to Asia...

i-xLNkmqk-L.jpg

We both decided against Kali River Rapids. We didn't feel like being sopping wet for the rest of the day. Nothing worse than walking in soaking wet socks and sneakers!

i-L7fRZFt-L.jpg

The monkeys went in to hiding...

i-g39QHJk-L.jpg

i-N9FdBfs-L.jpg

We got in line for Expedition Everest. About 3 minutes later Rich said he wasn't really in the mood to ride and I told him I was only in line because I thought he wanted to ride, so we walked back out. It's a fun ride, but the whole going backwards thing messes with me.

i-rt3rN34-L.jpg

Finding Nemo - The Musical didn't have any show times coming up soon so we wandered over to DinoLand. We walked on DINOSAUR. I won't lie, I close my eyes about 30 seconds in to the ride. Every time. I don't like things jumping out at me haha. So in every picture I've always got my eyes closed!

i-VSW6wQx-L.jpg

After DINOSAUR we stopped in a couple of stores. Rich had done everything he wanted to do. There were a few things I would have liked to have done, but I know he wouldn't so with that it was time to head out. I love Animal Kingdom. I swear I could walk around all day and not go on one attraction. Just watch the animals and listen to the music. Unfortunately, I need to save that for my solo trips because Rich doesn't share the same feelings haha. I did convince him to stop and sit for a little while so I could take in the atmosphere. I felt like our time at AK went so fast, so I wanted to just enjoy a few minutes before we left! Then it was back to CBR we went before heading out to Downtown Disney!

Our view from our sitting spot!

i-3XDmZdm-L.jpg

Kwaherini, Animal Kingdom!

i-RF3rL5d-L.jpg

Heading back to the Dinosaur lot!

i-WWsFXH3-L.jpg

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Ok...first let me tell you reading wise I got about 3-4 posts in and I stopped as I've been just taking in your pics.
You got a great eye. Some of the shots are really incredible. excellent job.

So I did at least take in that you were there from the 4-11 th we usually do the first week in May but had to change things up last year and we now go in September..
Seeing your pics just makes me miss that beautiful May weather even more.

Ok I'm going to go back and do a little reading...thanks for the great pics and what I'm sure are going to be very interesting descriptions ;) !

LeCellier.Lover

I absolutely love your photography! Do you edit your pictures with Photoshop or anything? Just wondering cause I'm jealous that I do not have an "expensive, big camera" yet :p
I'm glad someone else shares the same feelings for Animal Kingdom as me! So many people only go to AK for an hour, but I feel like I could honestly stay in there all day and I was starting to think that my mom and I were the only ones that thought that! haha! Can't wait to keep reading more! You guys really did have beautiful weather!

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
Love you trip report! Thanks for sharing :) :)

Thanks! And thanks for reading :)

amazing pictures, wonderful report!

Thanks so much!

loving your report.... your pictures are amazing!!! Makes me want to head there today!!

Thank you :) I want to be there every day!

We're headed down in just 11 days and this makes me even more excited. I agree that your photos are beautiful. Look forward to seeing and reading more!

Thanks DisneyNikki! You're probably there now, I hope you're having a great time!

Ryan is the same as Rich when it comes to AK...boys! :D

Boys will be boys, I suppose ;)

I absolutely love your photography! Do you edit your pictures with Photoshop or anything? Just wondering cause I'm jealous that I do not have an "expensive, big camera" yet :p
I'm glad someone else shares the same feelings for Animal Kingdom as me! So many people only go to AK for an hour, but I feel like I could honestly stay in there all day and I was starting to think that my mom and I were the only ones that thought that! haha! Can't wait to keep reading more! You guys really did have beautiful weather!

Thanks! I use Adobe Elements 10 :)

We had amazing weather. It was perfect! And the crowd levels were great!

Ok...first let me tell you reading wise I got about 3-4 posts in and I stopped as I've been just taking in your pics.
You got a great eye. Some of the shots are really incredible. excellent job.

So I did at least take in that you were there from the 4-11 th we usually do the first week in May but had to change things up last year and we now go in September..
Seeing your pics just makes me miss that beautiful May weather even more.

Ok I'm going to go back and do a little reading...thanks for the great pics and what I'm sure are going to be very interesting descriptions ;) !

Thanks Shookie! Glad you're enjoying the pictures! I love May. Especially early May. This was one of our most perfect trips ever. September is good, too though! We've had some pretty awesome ones in September!

Your pictures of World Showcase and AK are phenomenal! I'm really enjoying your report.

Thank you very much :)

PartOfYourWorld

Jess!!! Just saw this now!

Your photos are absolutely STUNNING. Like someone mentioned above you have an eye for angles and things. I didn't try as hard this trip on pictures because I wanted to enjoy it but I still ended up with over 1400 pictures! hahaha.

But my favorite picture is the one where you can see SBP in the background at the Boardwalk. That picture made me tear up. That is my most favorite spot in the Walt Disney World Resort. The Boardwalk, sitting on a bench and just looking out on to Cresent Lake it is now what I consider Mike and I's spot. I miss it so much. Anywhoo sorry for getting sentimental on ya on your trip report. LOL.

Can't wait to read more!!!! <3

compshu

Love the report so far. I know its been said over and over, but your pictures look great. They look like the professional Disney promo photos. We may rent a lens when we go in September. I look forward to the rest of your report and more great photos.

Allie_Marie

Your pictures are stunning! I wish my pictures would come out that way, but I guess I have to get a "professional, big girl" camera first! They're making me truly miss Disney, I'm sitting here thinking I'm there but I'm not really! You're descriptions are also incredible! I can't wait to continue!

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
Love the report so far. I know its been said over and over, but your pictures look great. They look like the professional Disney promo photos. We may rent a lens when we go in September. I look forward to the rest of your report and more great photos.

Thank you!

If you rent one, go with Kingdom Camera Rentals. They were so amazing to work with, and so very accomodating! I'll be renting with them again in the fall!

Your pictures are stunning! I wish my pictures would come out that way, but I guess I have to get a "professional, big girl" camera first! They're making me truly miss Disney, I'm sitting here thinking I'm there but I'm not really! You're descriptions are also incredible! I can't wait to continue!

Thanks! I know I'm going to sound like a walking commercial, but you can rent an entire DSLR camera from Kingdom Camera Rentals, too. Not just lenses!

Jess!!! Just saw this now!

Your photos are absolutely STUNNING. Like someone mentioned above you have an eye for angles and things. I didn't try as hard this trip on pictures because I wanted to enjoy it but I still ended up with over 1400 pictures! hahaha.

But my favorite picture is the one where you can see SBP in the background at the Boardwalk. That picture made me tear up. That is my most favorite spot in the Walt Disney World Resort. The Boardwalk, sitting on a bench and just looking out on to Cresent Lake it is now what I consider Mike and I's spot. I miss it so much. Anywhoo sorry for getting sentimental on ya on your trip report. LOL.

Can't wait to read more!!!! <3

Thank you Jess! It's so easy to come back with so many photos. This time I only came back with 1700, but when I go on my solo trips I usually come back with 3,000 - 4,000. It's much easier to take photos when you're alone!

I'll have to get more pictures of SBP on my next photo trip :)

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
After a very unexpectedly hectic past couple of weeks, I'm back in action!

After Animal Kingdom, we headed back to the resort for a little while. We filled our mugs at Old Port Royale and sat outside for a bit. We took a stroll through Caribbean Cay as well. Love it there.

i-NnQNXmb-L.jpg

i-jw7BfxC-L.jpg

i-vXL8W8G-L.jpg

We had a 7:00 reservation at Raglan Road so we headed to Downtown Disney.

We walked through the Lego Store and watched one of the living statues messing with guests on our way to dinner...

i-CXVC7GQ-L.jpg

i-vCgdq54-L.jpg

i-7jVDwFQ-L.jpg

i-ZjXRnQG-L.jpg

We got to Raglan Road around 6:15 and checked in early, and were seated immediately. This was our first time at Raglan Road. We both ordered the fish and chips. This (aside from tuna) is about the only seafood you can get me to eat. And I have to really be in the mood for it. I was happy I ordered it though, it was delicious. Somehow during our dinner we struck up conversation with a family with two young daughters next to us. They were from Massachusetts as well. We ended up spending another hour after we finished our meals chatting with them. I really wish I would've gotten their names, they were so much fun to talk to!

i-7trhzjK-L.jpg

Fish and Chips

i-KV7qL6p-L.jpg

After dinner we walked back over to the Marketplace.

i-pHkqJsm-L.jpg

i-JGQSJ7J-L.jpg

i-Lgpx3ph-L.jpg

The sun was starting to set and the sky was looking gorgeous!

i-f8vcWDJ-L.jpg

We went in to a few stores in the Marketplace before making our way back to our car. Crystal and Erik would be arriving around 11:00 and we were going to meet them at the Custom House at CBR and just drive them to their room. We knew they would be tired. They finally arrived (and I believe it was closer to 12:00 if memory serves me right). They ended up being in room #1428, which was the room with the connecting door to ours. Yay!

Crystal and Erik with his "sad viking" hat on and crazy face (I promise he doesn't look like that all the time!)

i-bXJT3dz-L.jpg

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
Wednesday, May 8th

We knew Crystal and Erik were exhausted from traveling, so while they rested up we went to the Polynesian for breakfast at Kona. We both ordered Tonga Toast. It was delicious, as always :)

I think I have almost as many pictures of this fountain as I do Cinderella Castle.

i-xsHvzXQ-L.jpg

i-kf5BDcF-L.jpg

i-7vBsp8R-L.jpg

After our yummy breakfast we went back to Caribbean Beach. Crystal and Erik let us know they were finishing up breakfast, too. We spent some time by the beach while we waited for them. The skies were exceptionally blue so I took full advantage of them, while Rich took full advantage of a hammock...

i-gZzszpw-L.jpg

i-M64spTf-L.jpg

i-vskLsQP-L.jpg

So blue!

i-dJVmdQx-L.jpg

i-k9JwPqJ-L.jpg

I was so tempted to tip that hammock while he was in it...

i-JZBVWkm-L.jpg

i-RtcdJNQ-L.jpg

i-bxXH39L-L.jpg

Crystal and Erik met up with us about 15 minutes later and we were MK bound!

The boys on the ferry...

i-G4jj2DM-L.jpg

i-mWHfgCV-L.jpg

First stop - Pirates of the Caribbean!

i-cgmQCSz-L.jpg

After PotC, Crystal, Erik and I went on Splash Mountain. It was about 12:30 in the afternoon and the wait time was 15 minutes. And it was in the lower 80's that day. Score! After getting soaked, and then stuck post briar patch plunge for 20 minutes, the four of us went on Haunted Mansion. On the way out Erik said he was getting hungry, but not too hungry, so we went to Gaston's Tavern. Crystal, Erik and I each ordered the pork shank, Rich had to be different and get a cinnamon bun. Pork shank gets two thumbs up in my book. So good! I didn't take a picture of it because though it tasted amazing, it doesn't photograph well lol.

i-8rJFDth-L.jpg

After lunch we went over to Under the Sea. The wait posted was 20 minutes. It was about 15.

i-8fLFqjC-L.jpg

i-H2vCZHv-L.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

I finally got caught up on your trip report, and I LOVE it! Oh my word, Jess, your pictures are AMAZING! GORGEOUS! Beautiful! There aren't enough adjectives to describe how wonderful they are. I am so impressed that you started your trip report the day you got home! Crazy impressive. I always try to start as soon as possible so I don't forget everything but life always seems to get in the way. You know, I have never stayed at CBR?! For some reason I have skipped most of the moderates but your pictures make me think I need to give CBR a try. :D I can't wait to read the rest of your report!

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
I finally got caught up on your trip report, and I LOVE it! Oh my word, Jess, your pictures are AMAZING! GORGEOUS! Beautiful! There aren't enough adjectives to describe how wonderful they are. I am so impressed that you started your trip report the day you got home! Crazy impressive. I always try to start as soon as possible so I don't forget everything but life always seems to get in the way. You know, I have never stayed at CBR?! For some reason I have skipped most of the moderates but your pictures make me think I need to give CBR a try. :D I can't wait to read the rest of your report!

Haha thanks Ashley! Glad you're enjoying them!

I started the trip report with all intentions of finishing it a few days later but having to take off to NC for a family emergency had me thrown off track with editing the pictures and writing. Glad I'm back on it though. Hopefully I can get it finished by the end of this week!

I love CBR. We've stayed there a few times. It is huge, but we usually get a preferred room or rent a car so we're never too far of a walk (or drive) from dining and shopping. It's a great resort (that most people either love or hate). I do wish they would upgrade to queen beds being the last of the moderates with doubles and all (and especially because their rooms are bigger than the other moderates lol). But it's okay. We enjoy it there. It's like a vacation within a vacation!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom