Best day - ahem, WEEK - ever! Blue skies and sunshine, guaranteed! ( A May 4 - 11 trip report)

Less than 12 hours ago I stepped off of my return flight from Orlando to a rainy, dreary Providence. After picking up one dog from my parents' house, returning home to our other dog and maybe a quick nap that I snuck in, I'm ready to start my trip report!

When did we go? May 4 - 11th! Where did we stay? Caribbean Beach Resort! Who are we? Jess and Rich, happily married for 5 1/2 years residing in Massachusetts with our two furkids, Blitzen and Belle! Halfway through the trip we were joined by cousin and her husband, Crystal and Erik, along with Erik's cousin Amanda and her fiance Mike and their friends Celina and Brad. Along with a few friends we met up with along the way. Why did we go? Because we wanted to!

Saturday, May 4th
My alarm went off nice and early at 3:00 am. I had also set it for 3:01, 3:02, 3:03, 3:04 and 3:05 - just in case! But I woke up right at the first alarm, shut off the rest of them and hopped in the shower and got ready to go. I woke Rich up at 3:45 so he could get himself together and get the luggage loaded into the car. We got on the road at about 4:15 heading to the airport with a stop at the ATM first. About 2 1/2 miles down the road the check engine light came on in Rich's car. We decided the best thing to do would be to turn around, switch the luggage in to my car and take that. After transferring the luggage and stopping at the ATM, we were on our way to TF Green.

Packing up the night before.

D1-1_zpsb7c2418d.jpg

We parked the car at about 5 am and took the shuttle to the airport from the long term lot. Check in and security took us a whopping 15 minutes to get through, if that. We headed down to gate 21 to wait to board our flight. The sun was shining and it was going to be a great morning for flying!

D1-2_zps7aa0a104.jpg

We ended up landing about 25 minutes early and headed straight for the Magical Express. Wow was it ever crowded! The lines were crazy long! But they moved quickly. About 20 minutes later we were on our bus heading for Caribbean Beach. It was rainy and foggy in Orlando. I checked the weather and it was set to clear out shortly.

30iernq.jpg

We arrived at the Custom House at Caribbean Beach after first dropping off guests at the Beach Club and the Boardwalk. I did my check-in online so it was pretty quickly that we got through. The Custom House was very busy. Lots of people checking in and out. A lot of people there for the Everest Challenge and cheering competitions. I was starting to get nervous that we had picked a bad week to be there, but later that day my worries subsided.

Our village for the next 7 nights would be Barbados. We were in building 14, room number 1427. It was a first floor room with an adorable little courtyard area right outside our door. While waiting for the internal bus to come pick us up we realized building #14 was right across from the Custom House and we could walk over. So walk we did! Our room was ready thankfully, so we dropped off our stuff and headed to Old Port Royale for some lunch. It was now about 11:30 and I was set to meet Kingdom Camera Rentals at 1:00 to pick up a lens I rented. I got a text from them saying if I could meet earlier they were in the area! They met me at Old Port Royale about 15 minutes later with a beautiful Canon 10-22mm lens to use. I was just as excited to test out the lens as I was for the trip itself!

It was still spitting out but there were breaks of blue sky starting to show and they looked promising. At 1:30 our Alamo shuttle came to pick us up so we could go get our rental car for the week. We were given a 2012 Chevy Impala. Nothing fancy, but it worked and it was comfortable!

Some pictures from strolling around the resort...

Rich looking for turtles...
D1-3_zpsd189d03b.jpg

D1-4_zps0cbdbbd9.jpg

D1-5_zps0b291f8d.jpg

D1-6_zps1a93e382.jpg

Once we got our car, we headed right over to the Magic Kingdom! We stopped at Guest Relations to get our tickets from will call. It was then I realized I'd left the papers back in the room. Thankfully I was able to retrieve the confirmation numbers from my phone. After getting our tickets we headed through the gates and we were home sweet home. This was about the point the clouds really started to break apart and the skies were getting bluer!

D1-7_zps328c39ab.jpg

D1-8_zps45303796.jpg

The first stop at MK was to get Rich a taco salad. We had an Ohana reservation for later that night (9:20 pm) and Rich had really wanted to try one. We both got a taco salad from Pecos Bill's. It wasn't horrible. But it isn't something I'd write home about, either.

D1-9_zpse0989efe.jpg

Our next stop was Haunted Mansion. We walked on. This was when my fears of the crowds being crazy started drifting away. For a Saturday it was quite calm at Magic Kingdom, and it would only get better later in the week!

Trying on some hats on our way over to HM

D1-10_zps743d8fae.jpg

Looking good, hunnie!
D1-11_zpsca892b28.jpg

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
Monday, May 6th

Today we were up and out and going to head to Hollywood Studios. The plan was to get on Toy Story Midway Mania first thing and grab a fast pass for later. We got to DHS and headed straight to TSMM. It was about 10:00 ish. We grabbed fast passes for TSMM which were for the 1:20 - 2:20 time slot. We got in the standby line and were on the ride in less than 20 minutes. Exactly what we had hoped for! And for the record, I won :)

i-qk2VvM6-L.jpg

i-GGTKcW9-L.jpg

Rich asked if I wanted to do the Backlot Tour. We hadn't done it in about 4 or 5 years so we got in line. The wait was about 10 minutes.

i-ZtnVKkL-L.jpg

i-ShpRPzq-L.jpg

i-th5g8cG-L.jpg

i-djhwx5T-L.jpg

i-L498GFt-L.jpg

After our tour is over, we spent some time in the American Film Institute exhibit.

i-7Q5HQcC-L.jpg

i-8SpBzJN-L.jpg

We stopped and got our pictures with Mike and Sulley before heading out to the Streets of America. Those are on Photopass which I still have to order.

i-2VdHmzX-L.jpg

i-V5TbF2n-L.jpg

I asked Rich what he wanted to do next and he said he wanted lunch. We skipped breakfast that day so we headed off to Backlot Express. We skipped Muppet Vision this trip. Rich was too hungry to sit through it lol. Miss Piggy on the fountain was in still position and not spinning.

i-WCX9MDT-L.jpg

Rich got the buffalo chicken nuggets at Backlot (they're good, I had them in January) and I opted for a burger, which was also pretty good. After lunch I checked the time for the Indiana Jones Stunt Show and it was going to start in about 15 minutes. Rich had (somehow) never seen this show before, so we watched it. It's a good show. Not something I watch on every trip, but it's nice to do every now and then. When the extras started coming down the aisle next to us dressed in their robes for the show, Rich thought they were a tour group. o_O I got a good chuckle out of that.

After Indiana Jones we headed to Star Tours and walked right on.

i-8N2btVk-L.jpg

Don't forget to claim your droid!

i-f2Zd8vv-L.jpg

i-TFLF2HR-L.jpg

It was about time for us to head back over to TSMM and use our FastPasses. And because Rich despises The Great Movie Ride, this is all I got to see of it. Whomp, whomp, whomp.

i-7k5b4Nx-L.jpg

i-572Gt25-L.jpg

Oh, and I won again ;)

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
After our second trip on TSMM we walked through One Man's Dream and saw the film. We headed down Sunset Boulevard. We decided to hold off on Rock N' Roller Coaster until our thrill ride enthusiast friends arrived. Sadly, we never made it back to DHS for the remainder of our trip.

We started making our way out of DHS. I snapped some pictures along the way. We were going to take a Friendship over to Epcot. I made no ADRs this evening as we planned on snacking our way around World Showcase instead.

Some departing shots of DHS

i-Qn47kGn-L.jpg

i-F3ChWDs-L.jpg

i-L3cGwKj-L.jpg

i-RNqL53w-L.jpg

i-7T2sQ4G-L.jpg

ejsanta13

We parked the car at about 5 am and took the shuttle to the airport from the long term lot. Check in and security took us a whopping 15 minutes to get through, if that. We headed down to gate 21 to wait to board our flight. The sun was shining and it was going to be a great morning for flying!

That is why I love to fly out of TF Green. Though we don't do it much as it is about 1.5 hrs away, sometimes the flight prices are cheaper than Logan or Manchester. Can't wait to hear the rest.....

uncwdwfan

Incredible pictures and awesome trip report! If you don't mind me asking, I would love to know what lens and settings you used to take your pics. I have a Canon 60D and a really good L glass lens with a 2.8 f stop but I never get the colors, sharpness and detail that you have in your report.

Luigi

I was there the EXACT same week. Just wonderful. The weather was perfect and the crowds were low. We were running on a lot of rides all week.

Awesome pictures!

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
That is why I love to fly out of TF Green. Though we don't do it much as it is about 1.5 hrs away, sometimes the flight prices are cheaper than Logan or Manchester. Can't wait to hear the rest.....

We love Green. We're about equal distance from both Green and Logan, and Logan is usually more expensive. Green is just so much easier to get through!

Incredible pictures and awesome trip report! If you don't mind me asking, I would love to know what lens and settings you used to take your pics. I have a Canon 60D and a really good L glass lens with a 2.8 f stop but I never get the colors, sharpness and detail that you have in your report.

I used the Canon 10-22 that I rented for the entire trip aside from the last full day when I had to return it. I shoot with a Rebel T3i. I just started in the DSLR world about 10 1/2 months ago so I'm still learning the ropes. Patience and playing with settings are really what have taught me. I like to go to local places like zoos and parks to play with the settings and get to know what they can do. The settings all change based upon what I'm shooting.

I was there the EXACT same week. Just wonderful. The weather was perfect and the crowds were low. We were running on a lot of rides all week.

Awesome pictures!

Luigi it was the perfect week, wasn't it? Aside from our first few hours after we landed, we didn't see a drop of rain. I don't think we could have asked for better weather! And at times it looked busy, but the wait times said otherwise!

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
On the way out of DHS I got one more shot.

i-JP8b2pc-L.jpg

We headed for the Friendship boats and luckily there was one waiting. We hopped aboard and headed over to the Boardwalk. Rich was still on his mission to find a hat and decided to try ESPN Club and see if they had any Red Sox ones. They did, but they weren't fitted like he was hoping for. After not finding the hat, we sat on a bench for a bit and enjoyed a few moments of quiet. Until a brother and sister about 8 and 9 years old started battling over who would look through the viewfinder first. So with that, we walked over to Epcot!

i-QqX5tVZ-L.jpg

i-d2pZZxJ-L.jpg

We made our way through International Gateway and decided to start our World Showcase sip, snack and stroll evening in the UK.

But Peter, how do we get to Neverland?!

i-wnpHpLQ-L.jpg

i-7HTshZg-L.jpg

When we got to Canada Rich decided he wanted a beer, so while he did that I admired the gardens.

i-ScN3VN9-L.jpg

I saw the pineapple booth and stopped to get the Dole Whip with the spiced rum. I'd been looking forward to trying it since I heard about it.

i-TxfR5Pk-L.jpg

i-GZc47pt-L.jpg

I ate about half of it. Once I got to the rum I just couldn't do it. I tried. But it tasted like cinnamon buns. Just wasn't how I expected it to taste. I was disappointed. It wasn't bad, just not the taste I was imagining. Oh well!

We stopped at the booth in Mexico and each got a snack. I got the Taco de Carnitas (pork taco) and Rich went with the Tostada de Jaiba (crab tostada). The taco I had was really good. Tender pork and it wasn't dried out. I ate half and let Rich have the rest so he could try it. He said the crab tostada was delicious. I'll take his word for it.

i-kkj7GzT-L.jpg

We headed in the pavilion and went on the Gran Fiesta Tour.

i-tB76Qr8-L.jpg

i-t7MDpwL-L.jpg

The Three Caballeros were out for the week as part of Limited Time Magic. The line was always really long and I knew my husband wasn't going to have the patience to stay in line, so we never got our picture with them.

Norway...

i-gd76sWN-L.jpg

I loved the panda topiaries!

i-SNNGhDL-L.jpg

This dragon was "breathing" mist. And rainbows.

i-4B2XVqX-L.jpg

We wandered the shops in China for a while.

i-tnbrV2c-L.jpg

i-5w2BQDx-L.jpg

i-5nc76Hx-L.jpg

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
I debated trying the candied strawberries at the China booth but decided against it, so we moved on to Germany.

Heigh-Ho! Heigh-Ho!

i-bGSw5KS-L.jpg

Once we got to Italy we stopped at Tutto Gusto for a snack and a drink. Rich surprisingly didn't get anything to drink besides water, I ordered a glass of Rosa Regale, but they brought me something else. I forget the name. Our server said it was just as good and it was $5 less. Okay! It was actually really good. Rich and I both got small sandwiches with a small Caesar salad wedge off of the Panini section of the menu. Rich's choice was the Proscuitto di Parma and I got the Fontina and Salametto (cheese and salami). It was a good little sandwich and salad wedge. Perfect size for our snack around the world evening we were enjoying.

Here is my order...

i-QTGmTmH-L.jpg

I didn't get a picture of Rich's, but it looked the same. His had ham though. The table was too small to be moving plates around :)

Lady and the Tramp topiaries. So fluffy!

i-C4ZS5Sb-L.jpg

Once we got to America, Rich said he wanted funnel cake. We split one between the two of us. So yummy!

i-R5vGWVf-L.jpg

Howdy!

i-Lrs8WLp-L.jpg

Next up was Japan, and aside from the Dole Whip with rum, was the other snack I was looking most forward to trying - Frushi! This however, did not disappoint! It was delicious!

i-QstLvGK-L.jpg

i-g9xXtj9-L.jpg

i-zNDr9Rq-L.jpg

We spent a few minutes in Morocco. We were coming back for dinner later in the week so we didn't spend too much time in there.

i-6CkBJRQ-L.jpg

We walked through France and back to International Gateway to catch a Friendship back to DHS where our car was parked. I didn't realize until I got home a couple of days ago I never got photos of the Beauty and the Beast Topiaries. Not sure how I managed to forget as it is my favorite movies. So disappointed!

But, here is Cinderella...

i-mfgkckQ-L.jpg

Back to DHS we go!

i-K82j8rj-L.jpg

i-ttjx6h4-L.jpg

i-xqKMTjd-L.jpg

We spent the rest of the evening hanging out at Old Port Royale by the Banana Cabana.

Caribbean Beach has one of my most favorite food courts at any of the resorts.

i-kqKqf22-L.jpg

Anyone looking for treasure?!

i-3nW5JqF-L.jpg

And that was the end of another Disney day :)

Tinkerbell 8

Loving your TR so far. Your pictures are absolutely amazing!!! So happy for you guys that the weather was great and the crowds were low, makes for an even better trip. Very jealous that I don't have a trip planned for this year (yet...)

plaz10

Really loving your TR!! Your pictures are gorgeous and really making me miss Disney!! I wanted to try the Fruishi so bad but just didn't have room in my stomach! Maybe next year!! Can't wait to read more

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
Loving your TR so far. Your pictures are absolutely amazing!!! So happy for you guys that the weather was great and the crowds were low, makes for an even better trip. Very jealous that I don't have a trip planned for this year (yet...)

Thanks so much, Tink! It was such a great trip! The week before was the week we originally were supposed to go, and I guess it rained almost the entire week. I am so happy we didn't have any rain. I was looking forward to blue skies for pictures. I was expecting moderate crowd levels, but the wait times definitely were in the "low" category.

Really loving your TR!! Your pictures are gorgeous and really making me miss Disney!! I wanted to try the Fruishi so bad but just didn't have room in my stomach! Maybe next year!! Can't wait to read more

Thanks, Plaz! The Frushi was delicious. And probably the closest thing to actual sushi I'll ever eat haha. The rice was coconut flavored which definitely brought it all together. Hopefully next year they'll bring it back :)

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
Love the pics Jess!! So bummed you didn't enjoy the Dole Whip w/ rum. I'm not sure I would either. I'm not really a rum kind of gal!!

Thanks, Darolyn! Yeah it wasn't a good combo. Maybe a different kind of rum. Or maybe if it were the float version with the rum in the pineapple juice. It just tasted like cinnamon buns haha. My husband said the same thing. Wasn't horrible, but wasn't what I expected it to taste like.

WDW_Princess24

Girl, let me tell you, you are on top of your game! I was so surprised to see you starting a TR so soon but boy am I happy after spending the past week living through your facebook and twitter!
Your photos, as always, are beautiful! I love that the CM at HM let you passed the ropes to take a few pics, nothing beats pixie dust! How great are the Tangled restrooms?!? I wanted to spend hours there, than you realize, your sitting outside a bathroom LOL. You got so many great shots of Mermaid, a few perspectives I haven't seen before, love it!
We've never taken the boat to the Poly but your pictures have me deciding this is a must do! So glad to read your review of Coral Reef, I was thinking about going there in August but have seen mixed reviews, now I just might give it a try!
Your pictures of Wishes are gorgeous, who needs a tripod??!
Can't wait to read more!

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
Girl, let me tell you, you are on top of your game! I was so surprised to see you starting a TR so soon but boy am I happy after spending the past week living through your facebook and twitter!
Your photos, as always, are beautiful! I love that the CM at HM let you passed the ropes to take a few pics, nothing beats pixie dust! How great are the Tangled restrooms?!? I wanted to spend hours there, than you realize, your sitting outside a bathroom LOL. You got so many great shots of Mermaid, a few perspectives I haven't seen before, love it!
We've never taken the boat to the Poly but your pictures have me deciding this is a must do! So glad to read your review of Coral Reef, I was thinking about going there in August but have seen mixed reviews, now I just might give it a try!
Your pictures of Wishes are gorgeous, who needs a tripod??!
Can't wait to read more!

Thanks, Nicole :) I finally started reading your report earlier! I had to run some errands so I didn't get to fully catch up yet and comment.

I love the Tangled restrooms! The whole area is gorgeous!

Coral Reef was great. It was our first time there. I'd been hesitant before based on reviews which is what took us so long to get there but we really enjoyed it. Rich loved his meal and raved about it the whole rest of the trip.

Take the boat to Poly! It's such a relaxing ride!

And thank you :) One of these trips I'll remember the tripod. So far I'm 3 for 3 at forgetting it haha.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom