Behavioral U-Turn Needed.. Quickly

Have Manners Disappeared?

• Yes; Manners have disappeared.

Votes: 114 42.2%
  • No; Manners are still in full force.

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Somewhat; Manners aren’t quite what they were.

Votes: 145 53.7%

• Total voters

Mickey5150

Like others said here - it IS everywhere.

Heck, you can read these forums from time to time where one person criticizes another's post, and the rudeness follows.

I blame social media. We forgot really how to talk to people anymore.......its a lost art.
The bigger problem with social media and forums is that no one ever has to know who you are. It's easy to be rude when you will never look that person in the eyes.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
What you said about the fountain might be true....but the fact that no one else's kids were playing in the fountain might be a significant clue for them. And the parents bear some responsibility in knowing or finding out what is or is not allowed in such a situation. No excuses here...and a possible safety issue, as well.
Ahem......

Damon7777

was so embarrassed and made my friend do something about it or I was. He knew what I meant and shut his mom up. I know it sounds harsh but I don't believe anyone is above anyone in this world and I won't stand for that in Mexico or anywhere.

That's what I'm talkin bout!
Sometimes we got to get all vigilante and do things ourselves..........within reason, of course

StarWarsGirl

The parents are just as bad as the children IMO
The other night, my 16 year old brother, who is on the autism spectrum, and I were waiting for a bus to Poly from DHS after EMH. The bus was taking an absurd amount of time.

My brother, who has trouble waiting in lines, was better behaved than many of the nearby adults. I made a point of telling him so after we got on the bus.

Damon7777

Yes, I've heard that this is true...while I've never traveled abroad, if I ever did, I would most certainly look into the customs and cultures of the country I was traveling to so I wouldn't insult anyone...again, it's just a form of respect.

That's all fine and dandy except it's nearly impossible to know the culture well enough to avoid all local social faux pas. I have traveled to a few countries, even lived in another for 3 years and I still was learning a few do's and don'ts.

Would a guide book really tell you about how standing/leaning against a wall while others are sitting even at a highly informal pool nighttime house party with kids running around, loud music and drinking to the level of puking might well make others feel uncomfortable and uneasy?? I know a country where you best not do that.

We really need to separate rude and inconsiderate behavior(intentional)vs those who truly didn't realize they were offending.

Tony the Tigger

Its easy to see from what part of the country

Well where I come from everyone else is Sir or Mam, we say thank you, and we give up our seats to those who need them more because that how we were raised. Want to be embarrassed by your inaction? Ride a bus of veterans and watch people who have lost limbs, are older than your grandparents not hesitate to offer their seats.

It's not "inaction." It's what you are appropriately taught to do in NYC for safety reasons. You don't make eye contact in the subway or usually even walking on the street; and the only people talking to others they don't already know are either crazy, looking for handouts, or tourists.

At WDW, I'll offer my seat on a bus to old people, a pregnant woman, or someone with a child young enough they have to be held.

John park hopper

It's not "inaction." It's what you are appropriately taught to do in NYC for safety reasons. You don't make eye contact in the subway or usually even walking on the street; and the only people talking to others they don't already know are either crazy, looking for handouts, or tourists.

At WDW, I'll offer my seat on a bus to old people, a pregnant woman, or someone with a child young enough they have to be held.

What you posted about living in NY is one of the many reasons why I left NY many years ago and never go back. Unfortunately many are moving south and bringing their NY attitude with them

zurgandfriend

I am at an age where when at WDW if I offer my bus seat to a woman she says no you are a senior citizen. It’s one of those “ouch” moments like having to explain to my DS how a rotary phone worked or saying “Hey kids what time is it?” and getting “it’s one thirty” and not “It’s Howdy Doody time,” but I digress.
Yes, I think that are manners are on the decline, people seem more entitled and the faceless internet troll has a false sense of courage, they will text things they would never say to your face.
As a career soldier, I traveled around the world and lived in several countries and I have seen that the idea that someone has the right to play music and party all night was over ruled by the idea that you do not have a right to disturb your neighbors or disrupt the harmony of the community.
I will however say that at times of emergency such as a nature disaster I have seen the very best of people. Sharing what they have and working together, so maybe there is hope for us after all.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

On our recent trip to Walt Disney World I began to notice that a lot of guests forgot to put their manners in their luggage.

I'm unsure whether or not this is a recent occurrence, however I felt that it hurt our experience.

Waiting in lines I saw a lot of parents that couldn't have cared less about their children’s poor behavior. Listen, I’m not talking about meltdowns or other common behaviors. We all know that kids often have bouts of behavior. If you're going to a park, it's to be expected that you'll see some of these things.
I'm talking about kids running around in fenced off planters and parents ignoring them, parents not trying to clean up food that their children dumped out and parents letting their children climb around in areas clearly not meant for them to be climbing.

In one instance, we noticed that some parents had set their children’s worn underwear on a table at a restaurant to dry out. Yuck!

Later on that day, we sat out to wait for fireworks. At one point one member of our group left to get a bottle of water. In order to save her space, we set out an unfolded park map (with a small backpack on top). Just a few minutes after that, some latecomers sat down near us. To be courteous, we shifted over a bit. Rather than being thankful for us accommodating them, one of their group members proceeded to sit down on the backpack that was saving a space for one of our group members and tossed the bag out of their way.

I just don’t understand this. How have we regressed so far as people?

I hope that our experience with this sort of entitled behavior isn’t the standard. However, if it’s become standard, it isn’t too late to help turn things around. It takes just one polite person at a time to turn things around. Keep in mind: it’s rewarding to be polite. You could turn someone’s day around without knowing it.

I’ve experienced rude people whenever I’ve gone, and my first trip was in the early ’90s. It could have just been a spate of bad luck on your part. Either way, I’m sorry you witnessed such terrible manners!

NickMaio

I respectfully don't agree with you...if you travel to a foreign country, learn the customs of the country you are traveling to. I don't see children in the US in the fountains of any shopping mall. Trust me, if a kid (or adult for that matter) would slip and fall and crack their head open in a fountain, guess who has a lawsuit? I really don't care what's "normal" in other countries, you can have LOTS of fun at WDW without standing in the fountains...that's what pools and water parks are for. If you can't have fun without doing that, maybe you shouldn't be a visitor.
That really is not my point.........
My point is that many cultures have many different views on what is acceptable and appropriate. I never said that this behaviour was ok. In south america many do what they want, when they want. Why on earth would they look into the customs and accepted norms of another society they visit. Most would assume the rest of the world is the same as theirs...... This whole they should check first, really does not hold any water.

ColinP29

Not only have manners disappeared, but chivalry is dead.
At WDW, I regularly offer my seat on the bus to women and young children.
(I say at WDW because I do not use public transportation at home)
NEVER have I seen another man do this.

Recently I've tried to be chivalrous and on three separate occasions (1. Seeing a woman struggling to lift stuff into the boot of her car 2. A woman dropped her phone and I was trying to return it 3. Offering her a seat on a train) and in all three occasions the response was (in some form or another ) 'Sorry, I've got a boyfriend'

Chivalry isn't dead everywhere.

ljransom

I think part of it is that Disney lets a lot slide so you notice it more, and I've noticed the majority of Americans do tend to try and avoid confronting these rude people. For example, my local theme park in the UK, if you were to cut in line you would promptly be thrown out, and potentially receive a backhand from the person you cut infront of lol. I was surprised at how many times in the photo-pass locations, other guests would stand in the way knowingly doing so. Again in the UK you would get told to get the **** out of the way. As a whole i find the vast majority at Disney World extremely polite, there's just the select few that try and ruin it for others.

LittleBuford

Not only have manners disappeared, but chivalry is dead.
At WDW, I regularly offer my seat on the bus to women and young children.
(I say at WDW because I do not use public transportation at home)
NEVER have I seen another man do this.

I understand offering a seat to a woman (or anyone) with young children, but why to women in general? “Chivalry” and manners are not the same thing.

Ricky Spanish

I understand offering a seat to a woman (or anyone) with young children, but why to women in general? “Chivalry” and manners are not the same thing.
The definitions are not the same, but I think they go "hand in hand"

There is an interesting read out there called "Rules For A Knight" by Ethan Hawke.
I recommend it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom