Behavioral U-Turn Needed.. Quickly

Have Manners Disappeared?

• Yes; Manners have disappeared.

Votes: 114 42.2%
  • No; Manners are still in full force.

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Somewhat; Manners aren’t quite what they were.

Votes: 145 53.7%

• Total voters

PortOrleans

Original Poster
On our recent trip to Walt Disney World I began to notice that a lot of guests forgot to put their manners in their luggage.

I'm unsure whether or not this is a recent occurrence, however I felt that it hurt our experience.

Waiting in lines I saw a lot of parents that couldn't have cared less about their children’s poor behavior. Listen, I’m not talking about meltdowns or other common behaviors. We all know that kids often have bouts of behavior. If you're going to a park, it's to be expected that you'll see some of these things.
I'm talking about kids running around in fenced off planters and parents ignoring them, parents not trying to clean up food that their children dumped out and parents letting their children climb around in areas clearly not meant for them to be climbing.

In one instance, we noticed that some parents had set their children’s worn underwear on a table at a restaurant to dry out. Yuck!

Later on that day, we sat out to wait for fireworks. At one point one member of our group left to get a bottle of water. In order to save her space, we set out an unfolded park map (with a small backpack on top). Just a few minutes after that, some latecomers sat down near us. To be courteous, we shifted over a bit. Rather than being thankful for us accommodating them, one of their group members proceeded to sit down on the backpack that was saving a space for one of our group members and tossed the bag out of their way.

I just don’t understand this. How have we regressed so far as people?

I hope that our experience with this sort of entitled behavior isn’t the standard. However, if it’s become standard, it isn’t too late to help turn things around. It takes just one polite person at a time to turn things around. Keep in mind: it’s rewarding to be polite. You could turn someone’s day around without knowing it.

Smiley/OCD

Unfortunately, entitlement, and rudeness are becoming more the norm than the exception...when we were in Epcot in November '17, there were not 1, but 2 FAMILIES playing IN the fountains in the WS! Manners and consideration are 2 words that while still in the dictionary, have disappeared from everyday life in the past decade (at least). It seems that while we were all worried about the world coming to an end with Y2K, we threw those 2 words out of our vocabulary and way of life.

JIMINYCR

Manners were still taught and enforced in my family. I have seen many guests controlling their children in the parks and ensuring they acted appropriately. I still think overall parents rule, but its the others who stand out much more and make it seem like theres no good parenting skills at WDW. Yes there are some parents whose parenting control is on vacation and while they let the rules slide at WDW, allowing their kids go wild, we suffer. I think if you were to really look, youd see many more well behaved families in attendance than not.

Disneyfreak Jen

Many parents think that if no one around them is complaining about their kid, then their kid must not be annoying anyone. 🤨

Parents, please don’t put the other adults around you in the awkward position of either asking you to tell your child to stop: repeatedly stepping on my foot, touching me, or banging into me, or directing my concern to your child directly. Put your phone down and watch your kids.

Bad behavior is not limited to kids, plenty of adults are guilty too, in general too many people can be very self absorbed and think they’re more important/deserving/entitled than anyone else.

Rumrunner

I had to bit my tongue and ignore a lot of kids that were misbehaving on our last trip. It was not surprising and the parents just seemed to be oblivious. No wonder the kids don't know the difference between misbehaving and behaving when the parents don't seem to know the difference.

StarWarsGirl

PaI480D.jpg

Damon7777

I had to bit my tongue and ignore a lot of kids that were misbehaving on our last trip

And on one level that makes you part of the problem(this of course assumes you were in position to feasibly make it clear that that nonsense should stop):
Aside from unusual circumstances you had a social/societal duty in appropriate fashion to voice your concern to the right parties.

Too many times we stay passive or silent when we should act.

Mizner92

Manners are a form of respect to others. The way we act, the way we treat others, and the way we dress in public all show respect (or lack thereof). And the decline is all of our problem. Families, communities, everyone plays a part in the decline or the solution. But we have to start by thinking of others first (maybe even occasionally would be a start).

NickMaio

Not trying to play devils advocate but.... There are a lot of various cultures that come to WDW. Not saying that what you experienced was ok. Just that playing in a public fountain is quite common in many parts of the world.

We were there for 3 weeks this past July. I honestly did not notice as much rude behaviour as in past years. We had a great time. Previous vacations I would agree with the OP sentiment.

Kids AND parents go wild.... Has been the theme.

Ksearcy

Not trying to play devils advocate but.... There are a lot of various cultures that come to WDW. Not saying that what you experienced was ok. Just that playing in a public fountain is quite common in many parts of the world.

We were there for 3 weeks this past July. I honestly did not notice as much rude behaviour as in past years. We had a great time. Previous vacations I would agree with the OP sentiment.

Kids AND parents go wild.... Has been the theme.

What you said about the fountain might be true....but the fact that no one else's kids were playing in the fountain might be a significant clue for them. And the parents bear some responsibility in knowing or finding out what is or is not allowed in such a situation. No excuses here...and a possible safety issue, as well.

NickMaio

What you said about the fountain might be true....but the fact that no one else's kids were playing in the fountain might be a significant clue for them. And the parents bear some responsibility in knowing or finding out what is or is not allowed in such a situation. No excuses here...and a possible safety issue, as well.
I have traveled across the globe.... I respectfully do not agree.
It is a valid excuse for millions of people. Disney put this fountain here for everybody to use. Let's have fun.

erasure fan1

And on one level that makes you part of the problem(this of course assumes you were in position to feasibly make it clear that that nonsense should stop):
Aside from unusual circumstances you had a social/societal duty in appropriate fashion to voice your concern to the right parties.

Too many times we stay passive or silent when we should act.
It shouldn't be up to the guests to police bad/rude behavior. That is up to the cast members and Disney. And they are part of the problem, they have absolutely no spine when it comes to addressing rude or problem people. Too many times they turn a blind eye because it's easier not to say anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom