Behavioral U-Turn Needed.. Quickly

Have Manners Disappeared?

• Yes; Manners have disappeared.

Votes: 114 42.2%
  • No; Manners are still in full force.

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Somewhat; Manners arenā€™t quite what they were.

Votes: 145 53.7%

• Total voters

Paper straw fan

I literally was called a 'stupid american' on my first day of work (at Busch Gardens) by perhaps the most clichƩ French person I have ever seen. All she needed was a beret, cigarette and baguette on her.

But I would say I think it's more common for people to act abnormally selfish (and xenophobic unfortunately) on vacation. I dont know if Americans are necessarily worse, or if there are just more of us who travel and therefore get a lion's share of the critique.

jaklgreen

I literally was called a 'stupid american' on my first day of work (at Busch Gardens) by perhaps the most clichƩ French person I have ever seen. All she needed was a beret, cigarette and baguette on her.

But I would say I think it's more common for people to act abnormally selfish (and xenophobic unfortunately) on vacation. I dont know if Americans are necessarily worse, or if there are just more of us who travel and therefore get a lion's share of the critique.
I have actually found through my travels that most travelling Americans are pretty polite and respectful. Other nationalities just like to dump on Americans because all they really know about us is what they see on TV. No, we are not all like the idiots on reality shows. Just like most Americans do not understand or have misconceptions of others, the same is true about how others view us.

Paper straw fan

I have actually found through my travels that most travelling Americans are pretty polite and respectful. Other nationalities just like to dump on Americans because all they really know about us is what they see on TV. No, we are not all like the idiots on reality shows. Just like most Americans do not understand or have misconceptions of others, the same is true about how others view us.

I have mostly encountered the same, although I have met a few of the 'slob tourists' types in my travels. Luckily we tend to avoid the ultra-touristy places and busy times of year, so that may help

Incomudro

I always open doors for people or hold the door open for those behind me, to the point where it has annoyed my GF. But I think it is pretty telling that more often than not, I either get a totally shocked face or smile with total surprise; or just no response at all nor even a simple "thank you" or smile or gesture of thanks.

To me, that says 2 things with today and society - 1) People are so used to rude behavior now that when someone is polite or holds a door open they are shocked. And 2) a lot of people out there in today's world are rude and entitled and have no sense of manners and can't even say a simple "thank you".

Think about how many people don't use blinkers on the roads and highways or let the car trying to merge on the freeway into their lane - that's more evidence of manners (or lack thereof) in today's world.[/QUOT
I am pretty sure it is rude in all cultures to let your kids keep bumping into people, or play in the flowers, or not to disrupt other's enjoyment. Too many times the parents see and allow their children to keep running into others. On our last trip I had to tell the parents to get their kid to stop ramming my daughters and myself or I would stop him. They saw him do it over and over and saw that we were annoyed and trying to avoid him and did NOTHING.

Before my wife and I had kids (our twin sons are now 16) we would often talk about just what you said.
The kid who bumped into us repeatedly on the checkout line at the supermarket, whom the parent never stopped, the kid climbing on something - had one climbing up onto the conveyer belt at the supermarket just the other day - whom the parent never stopped, the kid yelling in the waiting room at the doctors office, etc., etc.,
We swore that would never be our kids.
I've heard lots of people say that, who never followed through.
We did.
Our kids never did those things, and if you enforce good behavior early on they don't even attempt to do those things at all.
They don't push you, because they've learned.

LUVofDIS

Sadly, rudeness and stupidity are not just an American trait. It seems universal across the world. Also sad, I think the majority of people in the world are well mannered and have at least some commonsense and that the minority of stupid and unmannered people mess it up for the rest of us.

dgauthier

Cajun Transplant
I am at an age where when at WDW if I offer my bus seat to a woman she says no you are a senior citizen. Itā€™s one of those ā€œouchā€ moments like having to explain to my DS how a rotary phone worked or saying ā€œHey kids what time is it?ā€ and getting ā€œitā€™s one thirtyā€ and not ā€œItā€™s Howdy Doody time,ā€ but I digress.
Yes, I think that are manners are on the decline, people seem more entitled and the faceless internet troll has a false sense of courage, they will text things they would never say to your face.
As a career soldier, I traveled around the world and lived in several countries and I have seen that the idea that someone has the right to play music and party all night was over ruled by the idea that you do not have a right to disturb your neighbors or disrupt the harmony of the community.
I will however say that at times of emergency such as a nature disaster I have seen the very best of people. Sharing what they have and working together, so maybe there is hope for us after all.
Thank you so much for your service, it is greatly appreciated

graphite1326

At my age (62) I have come to a point I really don't care, I let them have it. For instance we had got to MK early for the night time parade (when they still had one) and found a seat on the curb. Just before the parade starts a woman has her son (about 12) sit almost on my lap where I had to squeeze into my wife. Then the mother leaves. I turned to him and said "I sat here all this time just so you could come along at the last minute and squeeze in." He left. So now everyone is going to say I'm the rude one.

Another time an older couple (also during the parade) were sloooowly walking side by side up the main street side walk and no one could get by. They parted a little and I squeezed thru. I could here one of them say "That was rude." I just kept going but wanted so bad to turn around and tell them it was rude to hold everyone up.

So it starts with the parents.

Hockey89

Well foreigners are constantly saying how Americans should "learn the culture" of countries that they are visiting. So why shouldn't it work both ways? What kind of double standard is that?
But but but it is so much fun making fun of Americans. Which everybody could act like the British that come over here....

Miss Bella

I've traveled all over Europe, Canada, South America and US. There's no doubt customer in the US blows every other country away. In all my travels I've never seen Americans acting rude or disrespectful. We are a customer service oriented culture. We may have higher expectations then we should when traveling. I've found the service in Europe especially in restaurants to be severely lacking, but on a positive note you don't have to tip.

danyoung56

At my age (62) I have come to a point I really don't care, I let them have it.

I think exactly the same (and am the same age!). I walk the halls of corporate America and am amazed at the rudeness of others just passing in the hallway. I almost ran over a lady yesterday who was standing stock still in the middle of the corridor, holding a conversation with her cell phone. "MOVE OVER TO THE SIDE!!!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom