Beastly Kingdom Is Back

plutoismyhero

But even knowing they love characters, it doesn't always make sense. In the back corner of TDS is "The Voyage of Sinbad". AMAZING. I'll say it again... AMAZING. Think IASW with better music, and ALL the AA's are of PoTC quality or better... There are literally hundreds in the ride. Like IASW. But there was NEVER anyone on it. In fact, there wasn't even anyone hardly back in that corner of the park. We thought it was really very sad that an attraction like that obviously wasn't appreciated. I would KILL for that ride to be stateside. And honestly, when we go back to Japan (which WILL happen), Sinbad will be the first ride we go on at TDS. It's that good. Even not knowing the language, you completely understand the story and what's happening. Absolutely classic Disney. From the 20 foot tall giant to the 40 foot long whale. Seriously.

Note to self: Check airline prices on Expedia this afternoon. :lookaroun :lol:

WOW you just convinced me to try and get my family to go to TDS...i want to go over seas so bad...

EPCOT Explorer

But even knowing they love characters, it doesn't always make sense. In the back corner of TDS is "The Voyage of Sinbad". AMAZING. I'll say it again... AMAZING. Think IASW with better music, and ALL the AA's are of PoTC quality or better... There are literally hundreds in the ride. Like IASW. But there was NEVER anyone on it. In fact, there wasn't even anyone hardly back in that corner of the park. We thought it was really very sad that an attraction like that obviously wasn't appreciated. I would KILL for that ride to be stateside. And honestly, when we go back to Japan (which WILL happen), Sinbad will be the first ride we go on at TDS. It's that good. Even not knowing the language, you completely understand the story and what's happening. Absolutely classic Disney. From the 20 foot tall giant to the 40 foot long whale. Seriously.

And another thing...It's ORIGINAL.

There's no movie tie in...no promo...It's Park Exclusive. Quite awesome, when you think about it. To be honest, is Figment our only WDW exclusive character that is still around?

Buried20KLeague

WOW you just convinced me to try and get my family to go to TDS...i want to go over seas so bad...

I can't stress enough that anyone that can make the trip to Tokyo to do it. Between the country, the people, and the TDR... It's beyond compare. For us (and my kids), to a point it was life-changing even.

I'll never forget. I took my parents, because they've never been anywhere and I wanted them to see the world. They're older. 75. They grew up learning to have a strong dislike for the Japanese (for obvious reasons). We were at dinner one night in downtown Tokyo. And there was an older couple there next to us. About the same age as my parents. I'm sure they grew up with similar feelings taught about us. Long story short... We all ended up eating together and staying and having drinks with them for hours, just talking about everything from the war, to how we're the same. I know that effected my parents immensely... As well as myself.

I highly suggest picking up Kevin Yee's book "Tokyo Disney Made Easy". Most of his stuff is just compiled from things you can find elsewhere, but this book is the exception. It has GREAT info, and covers everything from the minute you walk off the plane (literally) till you've used your last day of tickets. It took whatever fear I had about being in a completely different world away. Even if you're not sure if or when you'd make the trip, it's still a GREAT read, very interesting, cheap, and tells a lot about the parks in general.

Buried20KLeague

And another thing...It's ORIGINAL.

There's no movie tie in...no promo...It's Park Exclusive. Quite awesome, when you think about it. To be honest, is Figment our only WDW exclusive character that is still around?

Good question. And thinking it through, I'd say he IS. Wow. Kinda sad. :(

I'd take Sinbad over a JTTCOTE anyday. It's WAY longer, more detailed, and just screams Disney.

EDIT: I guess you'd have to probably include the yeti, right? I don't know. That's a gray area.

EPCOT Explorer

Good question. And thinking it through, I'd say he IS. Wow. Kinda sad. :(

I'd take Sinbad over a JTTCOTE anyday. It's WAY longer, more detailed, and just screams Disney.

EDIT: I guess you'd have to probably include the yeti, right? I don't know. That's a gray area.

It is.:( The Country Bears are still here, too...But weren't they in DL originally?

And the Yeti? Ehhh...He's more of a figure than a actual character...I mean, when Figment first came out, there was a whole campaign about him. Remember "Dreamfinders" on the original Disney channel?:)

Dinoman96

I would love to go to Japan...but I doubt my parents will. :(

Anyways, my story for BK would be this:

In the Medieval ages, there was a beautiful town named "Gemala" that was ahead of all the other villages..until...a giant earthquake came and slowly destroyed the village...one part of Gemala broke off as the earthquake caused cracks throwout the doomed village. What happened to the citizens that weren't on the part that broke off were never seen again... alive or dead The only thing left in the ruins is well...ruins.

The people on the part managed to survive, however. But soon, a great discovery was about to be made.

A boy, who lost his father from the earthquake, but still had his mother, went to take a trek through the forest that also broke away with the village. There, he saw legs and a head of an eagle, seemingly sitting near a bush. Of course, being foolish like most other boys, he tries to bed it..however, the eagle revealed it's other half, which was in the buches, revealing a lower body of a lion. So, as it turns out, the eagle was really a baby griffin! Soon, larger griffins appeared, staring at the boy. The boy ran screaming in fear, bumping into what seemed to be a horse, digging it's head into a bush. The boy relaxed until the horse revealed its horn on its forehead, revealing to be a unicorn. The boy ran away again (If anyway ask, it was because he thought the unicorn was going to impale him), the boy ran to a lake. Before he could wash his face (Thinking the creatures he saw was apart of his imagination), until giant tenticles splashed out of the water, of course belonging to the monstrous Kraken. Finally, the boy found his way to the village, and his furious mother, who continued to scoled him..until many species of strange animals walked out of the forest. The remaining soldiers armed their weapons. But what caught their eye was a allocamelus (A mytholgocial animal which has a head of a donkey and a body of a camel) pushing a of a very delicious fruit to the villagers. After taking a bite, the soldiers asked the creatures if there was more, and then the allocamelus lead the men to a beautiful lake with plenty of fruit and water. This started a symbolick relationship between the humans and the mythological creatures.

Throughout the next several thousand years, the newly formed island would seemingly drift forever on the ocean. Of course, seeing as the island was never conquered or caught the black plague (The island managed to never drift to the infected area), the civilization remained medieval, co-existing with the mythological creatures. Speaking of which, one day, the soldiers spotted a flying reptile creature falling onto the island. This creature, of course, was a dragon, but was smaller, and could talk. The dragon introduced himself as "Treaco" (Tree-GO), and said while he could get hurt, he was immortal. He mentions that his wing had been permantly damaged by lightning. So, he now resides in a cavern connected to a volcano (Which is where the Dragon Talk show will reside), that also broke apart with the village from the main land...but he wasn't the only one living there..

On day, the villagers heard a roar from the volcano, which was way different from Treaco's roar. Some say, another dragon, or was more fierce then Treaco, lived in the mountain. They were right, but the dragon itself is not entirely evil, just very territorial, and will only attack if anyone enter its domain

TOO BE CONTINUED (God, so much to write).

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Search&search=territorial&ns0=1&redirs=0

whylightbulb

YES...YES!!! Sinbad is a masterpiece and by far the most underrated attraction anywhere. I would say Compass of Your Heart is the most catchy Disney theme park song anywhere. The finale sequence with the fireworks, multitude of AAs and the choral arrangement is brilliant! The sets, story (which as you said can be understood even if you don't speak Japense), AAs (even more amazing because of their size) and everything else is among the best Disney has ever produced. Why can't we get this ride here? If ever there was a reason for a clone this would be it. Have I said how much I love the Sinbad ride yet?

jt04

Original Poster
YES...YES!!! Sinbad is a masterpiece and by far the most underrated attraction anywhere. I would say Compass of Your Heart is the most catchy Disney theme park song anywhere. The finale sequence with the fireworks, multitude of AAs and the choral arrangement is brilliant! The sets, story (which as you said can be understood even if you don't speak Japense), AAs (even more amazing because of their size) and everything else is among the best Disney has ever produced. Why can't we get this ride here? If ever there was a reason for a clone this would be it. Have I said how much I love the Sinbad ride yet?

They have to have some unique attractions in Japan to motivate people to travel that far. I wonder if Disney will have charters from Hawaii once the new DVC is open? Seems like a no brainer.

Now if you will excuse me I must add up my airline miles.

Buried20KLeague

Absolutely. GEEZ, that's a great song. And the idea of the baby tiger that travels with him was great, too... My kids HAD to have their very own Chandu stuffed animals. And they still play with them today.

I've got to imagine that attraction is a maintenance nightmare though... I don't think they do a good enough job at the parks here in the states keeping up on those kinds of things. I'd worry that if it were here, we'd have too many AA's not doing their thing.

Buried20KLeague

They have to have some unique attractions in Japan to motivate people to travel that far. I wonder if Disney will have charters from Hawaii once the new DVC is open? Seems like a no brainer.

Now if you will excuse me I must add up my airline miles.

I don't think they built TDS with the idea of drawing Westerners. "Original" was the theme of the whole park. There's just so much there that is nowhere else. They just went a completely different and new direction than they ever have before for that park. But with Disney not making all the money from those parks, I don't think it was designed thinking about drawing international visitors. I mean, think about it. How many casual Americans/Europeans even know there's a Disney resort in Japan? I don't believe it's many. They want to steer all of us to CA and FL. Which makes sense.

But you need to GO, jt. I think it would change the way you see theme parks, just like it has for me. When even my 10 and 11 year old girls see it, it's obvious.

EDIT TO ADD: I'd love to see charters from HI, but I can't see it happening. They'd rather keep them at the resort in HI where they'll make more margin. With the OLC owning TDR, Disney really doesn't promote going there. Which is sad.

jt04

Original Poster
I don't think they built TDS with the idea of drawing Westerners. "Original" was the theme of the whole park. There's just so much there that is nowhere else. They just went a completely different and new direction than they ever have before for that park. But with Disney not making all the money from those parks, I don't think it was designed thinking about drawing international visitors. I mean, think about it. How many casual Americans/Europeans even know there's a Disney resort in Japan? I don't believe it's many. They want to steer all of us to CA and FL. Which makes sense.

But you need to GO, jt. I think it would change the way you see theme parks, just like it has for me. When even my 10 and 11 year old girls see it, it's obvious.

Oh I am seriously considering it but I'll wait for the HK expansion to take place. I'd only want to travel that far once and Disney would only be a small part of my journey. I figure 2 weeks in Japan, 1 month in China and 1 week in Austrailia and New Zealand might suffice. I have a lot of planning to do. :lol:

Buried20KLeague

Oh I am seriously considering it but I'll wait for the HK expansion to take place. I'd only want to travel that far once and Disney would only be a small part of my journey. I figure 2 weeks in Japan, 1 month in China and 1 week in Austrailia and New Zealand might suffice. I have a lot of planning to do. :lol:

Hoo boy. Start saving now. :lol:

We did 10 days in Japan, with 5 days at the parks and 5 days around the country. Could have EASILY doubled that and not been bored.

We thought about the Hong Kong and Japan on the same trip thing, but we couldn't stomach the idea of 13 hours to Japan, stay for 10 days, 6 hours more to Hong Kong, stay for a week, then 24 hours back home. :lookaroun

I'm the only one in the family that went to HKDL, and that was on a business trip to HK... And I think it'll stay that way till reviews come in about all the completed expansion... And maybe the Grand Opening of Shanghai. :lookaroun

_Scar

Anyone think they should add the new Grizzly roller coaster to DAK? That looks decent. I'd rather have JttCotE, but Grizzly would do :D. Then there would be a total of 3 grizzly mountains in the world :D

whylightbulb

Absolutely. GEEZ, that's a great song. And the idea of the baby tiger that travels with him was great, too... My kids HAD to have their very own Chandu stuffed animals. And they still play with them today.

I've got to imagine that attraction is a maintenance nightmare though... I don't think they do a good enough job at the parks here in the states keeping up on those kinds of things. I'd worry that if it were here, we'd have too many AA's not doing their thing.
Yes unfortunately I would have to agree with that. The difference in attitude between the Japanese workers and their American counterparts here in the states is astounding and anyone that has been to Tokyo Disney will instantly recognize the difference in show quality as a result of this.

Of course besides Sinbad, 20K and JTTCE are also masterpieces. I'm sure most that are against JTTCE coming to Animal Kingdom have never ridden it in person. Unfortunately I'm hearing that they are nowhere near pulling the trigger for it.

jt04

Original Poster
Yes unfortunately I would have to agree with that. The difference in attitude between the Japanese workers and their American counterparts here in the states is astounding and anyone that has been to Tokyo Disney will instantly recognize the difference in show quality as a result of this.

Of course besides Sinbad, 20K and JTTCE are also masterpieces. I'm sure most that are against JTTCE coming to Animal Kingdom have never ridden it in person. Unfortunately I'm hearing that they are nowhere near pulling the trigger for it.

THANK YOU WHYLIGHTBULB!!!!!!!!!!

I have often wanted to say this but I was afraid too. And it's precisely why we don't see more AA's.

SirGoofy

THANK YOU WHYLIGHTBULB!!!!!!!!!!

I have often wanted to say this but I was afraid too. And it's precisely why we don't see more AA's.

What a poor excuse for not using something that helped make Disney, Disney, and something that still never ceases to amaze people everyday at these parks.

Anywho, I'm off to MK to ride Mansion, Splash, and Big Thunder, and then grab the new Jungle Cruise T-shirt!:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom