bad language in the parks

Pocahontas

As a parent, I feel it's kind of disrespectful when people do not even ATTEMPT to control their foul language in public, especially Disney World. I understand it can be frustrating when things don't go your way, but it's kind of rude. I don't want my children exposed to that kind of vocabulary. The last thing I want is them cussing. It's just not polite.

I understand everyone slips up - it's not the end of the world. But, please, just try not to be crass. We just want to enjoy our time, and swearing really isn't necessary.

Although, I do not hear swearing often in Disney World.

Runmyhorse

I think we all have a pretty good idea what words printed on a t-shirt would get us denied entry to a WDW park. That's a good starting point if you're really clueless about what's appropriate to say in a park.

Just because it's legal to run around in public yelling obscenities or ethnic slurs doesn't make it appropriate.

I seriously doubt disney even cares what folks wear into the parks anymore. I couldn't tell you how many shirts had cuss words on them, something about sex, or how many underage and older females were running around with their buts hanging out along with everything else inside disney. Oh or wearing disney pins as your nipples. I'm a firm believer that you watch your mouth and what you wear. Disney won't stop folks from coming in. Oh unless your to closely dressed to tinkerbell. ;)

bethymouse

Well, all of this just "sucks".;) I have a potty/sailor mouth. My kids have heard it, and unfortunately it's slipped out of their mouths occasionally ( hence pepper or soap in mouth or a swear jar for Mommy). Our neighborhood kids are the worst! They drop the "B" word and the "F" word constantly when outside playing basketball!:jawdrop: One of our neighbor guys said to them to "watch your mouth-there are little ones out here playing too"! The "norm" in our culture is not tolerated in schools where kids are learning, so I just think it shouldn't be tolerated where kids and young families are "playing" (WDW). The CMs won't be able to control it, but we would certainly hope that people would have a sense of common decency when at WDW.;)

Boardwalker

Foul language is a part of it. Sometimes the immense size and frustrations of the parks can bring it out. I teach my kid that it's not necessary, at a young age they are looking to see what you do as a parent and mirror it. When they become teenagers, I hear they are instantly become smarter than you and you embarrass them. Go figure,

AngieTink27

Funny how this topic was brought up, I was talking to a friend whom used to share a apartment with during our days at Disney's CP. She was telling me about a "cussing dolphin" which can be found at the dolphin cove guest interaction at Sea World orlando. This is a true story, it makes a noise like all dolphins do, you know that high pitch squeak sound they make. But this particular dolphin makes the noise sometime and it sounds like a small child screaming out a cuss word which I will not repeat here. If you ask one of the Sea World employees, they will tell you which dolphin, and even have him make the sound if there are not small children around to hear. You may have to get there early in the morning or wait until late when no kids can hear, because they will not talk about it in front of children, which I respect for doing that. But they say to just keep your ears peeled when at dolphin cove, because you never know when the dolphin will make the cussing sound.

Stellajack

The use of foul language, even if considered the "norm" by any culture, always has been and always will be the attempts to draw attention to ourselves for any number of reasons. Sad really how narcissism rules.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The use of foul language, even if considered the "norm" by any culture, always has been and always will be the attempts to draw attention to ourselves for any number of reasons. Sad really how narcissism rules.

As this thread proves, if only I were as perfect. The faux psychological analysis used to underpin individuals prejudices and jaundiced views is entertaining at least.

Matt_Black

Not necessarily. Scientists have learned that when someone injures themselves, swearing can alleviate the pain.

Pocahontas

I don't think swearing is always attention seeking.

mergatroid

I'm curious as to whether "acceptable" language is considered more lax by guests at F&W in the evening/night. It does seem the "festive" more adult vibe is the target in that time & place. Would people be less offended if they heard some swear slip out publicly in that setting?

We go to Disney every year in Sept/Oct and always see IllumiNations at least once during the F & W festival. Last year was the first time we've witnessed it feeling, well so 'adult'. It was a Saturday night, it was really, really crowded, there were a lot of people carrying drinks in large groups, lot's of noise with people shouting to one another accross long distances, a bit of swearing and very strangely a distinct smell of vomit at more than one point as we made our way to the Rose & Crown. It was the first time I'd witnessed Disney feeling like that in any way, shape or form and felt a little bit strange to say the least.

For the first time ever in nearly forty years of visiting, I witnessed Disney in a way that maybe wouldn't be suitable for certain young children to be present. Certainly those of a nervous disposition may have been a bit disturbed by the groups shouting in a drunken manner and the odd drunk staggering around obviously much worse for wear. If we had children I'd probably be more concerned about them seeng this than hearing the odd swear word, though I don't think it would do too much long term damage witnessing either if I'm being completely honest.

sweetpee_1993

Just outta curiosity, does anybody know if the words: "Rubbish" or "Poppycock" are considered swear words?

Because if so, I owe the Taco Bell drive-thru attendant from last night a humble apology.
When my now 16 yro was in kindergarten...one afternoon he was telling us all about this story his teacher read them about a pussy cat. He kept saying that "p" word over and over which really was grinding my gears. I HATE that word and here my sweet little boy kept saying it. I reached my breaking point and blurted out, "P*ssy is a bad word! Don't say that! It's worse than saying ****
!" LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
When my now 16 yro was in kindergarten...one afternoon he was telling us all about this story his teacher read them about a pussy cat. He kept saying that "p" word over and over which really was grinding my gears. I HATE that word and here my sweet little boy kept saying it. I reached my breaking point and blurted out, "P*ssy is a bad word! Don't say that! It's worse than saying ****!" LOL!
You said that verbatim? :eek::hilarious:

Last edited by a moderator:

Violiav

True, It's all my fault.
It does lead me to question though how I got this way. I never heard my parents utter a single swear word.
Oh, that is right, TDO. I forget. Always blame TDO.

That's the funny thing. I never, never cussed until I was 17/18 (circa 2000). And then never around my parents. But as a parent, I do and have cussed around my daughter, but I have never heard an obscenity drop from her lips. Even when the kids are all in the game room playing a FPS and the teen is dropping f-bombs left and right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom