bad language in the parks

Lucky

I think we all have a pretty good idea what words printed on a t-shirt would get us denied entry to a WDW park. That's a good starting point if you're really clueless about what's appropriate to say in a park.

Just because it's legal to run around in public yelling obscenities or ethnic slurs doesn't make it appropriate.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Interesting thoughts, but I was a child of an upbringing where "swear" words were not allowed, I am college educated, and would consider myself relatively smart (others may disagree).
Again, I just believe that words are neither bad or good. They are words. The intent behind the words by the speaker is what renders them right or wrong.

I would assert that consciously choosing which words to employ instead of recitation by formulaic route is a reflection of the amount of cognition one is capable of bringing to bear. All dogs bark.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I would assert that consciously choosing which words to employ instead of recitation by formulaic route is a reflection of the amount of cognition one is capable of bringing to bear. All dogs bark.
That is assuming that I am not consciously choosing my words. That is an incorrect assumption. And the assumption that anyone who would choose to use what "society" deems inappropriate is stupid is as valid as any other blind assumption based on limited knowledge. Are all blondes stupid? Closer to the point, if someone in the parks is speaking a foreign language to others in their party, does that mean they cannot speak English? Or are too dumb to learn English?
The main point (and why I quoted society above) is that society IS deeming what language is appropriate or not. Society as a whole is relaxing the negatives associated with certain words. 50 years ago certain words would be only used by the aforementioned sailors in the workplace. These days I can (and do) hear it across the spectrum of all those I work with, all the way up the top of the corporate ladder. Popular culture, politics, entertainment, all things that make up "society" are deeming what is appropriate. It just is not in the direction that (smaller and smaller every day) some folks feel is appropriate.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Society - an we're all a part of it - yes, even you, like it or not. And when I hear such words coming out of anyone's mouth in a public place, I assume that person is ignorant. Sorry if that offends you, but it's the truth.
tattooed-doctor.jpg

ParkMan73

As a society, we're confusing whether we can say the words with whether we should say the words.

As a sign of respect - both for yourself and others, we should avoid using the words.

That's where we're breaking down here - people don't understand respect in the way they have in years passed.
There are all kinds of examples of this - but two of the most obvious are language and dress.

My challenge to anyone who feels that swearing in public is ok - even if just after you stub your toe - is stop thinking about whether it should be OK for you to swear. That's not the right question. Instead, start thinking about whether everyone else around you wants to hear you swear. Rest assured, there will be many who do not. So, out of respect for them, don't.

If you want, you could even offer a discrete, gentle, friendly reminder. Sir/Ma'am - would you mind watching the language - there are children around.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
My challenge to anyone who feels that swearing in public is ok - even if just after you stub your toe - is stop thinking about whether it should be OK for you to swear. That's not the right question. Instead, start thinking about whether everyone else around you wants to hear you swear. Rest assured, there will be many who do not. So, out of respect for them, don't.
Sure, but there are a lot of things that I personally don't want to hear coming out of random strangers mouths, only some of which are swear words. If we want to go by what me, as your typical guest, might not want to hear, it very well may be different than what the person next to me doesn't want to hear.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Sure, but there are a lot of things that I personally don't want to hear coming out of random strangers mouths, only some of which are swear words. If we want to go by what me, as your typical guest, might not want to hear, it very well may be different than what the person next to me doesn't want to hear.

Personally the upward inflection that seems soooo popular in the former colony is an offence to my ear. Though perhaps they are just stupid and they really are asking a question.

mergatroid

You make some good points in your agument and it starts an interesting debate. I do however think that we are all aware of what the majority of parents or adults would feel appropriate and inappropriate to be said in front of children. For instance shouting out loud "Hey kids this place is really sick" would probably be seen by the majority as a little strange but not offensive. However the same person shouting "Hey you ####ers, this place is ######g awesome" is much more likely to be deemed as offensive by many more.

We can argue the rights and wrongs about the above and debate why this is the case and where it came from, but it would be difficult to believe that the majority of people see no difference between the two examples given. Some may not see any difference, but I'd say common sense dictates that most know when they say things the potential offense it can cause.

ParkMan73

And that would be the argument which drives out the respect. I'm not offended by it, so it's OK.

The key thing here is making it not about your own values, but what is likely to bother other people. If you're in a group of families with young children - swearing is likely to bother someone. So, out of respect to them, don't do it.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
And that would be the argument which drives out the respect. I'm not offended by it, so it's OK.

The key thing here is making it not about your own values, but what is likely to bother other people. If you're in a group of families with young children - swearing is likely to bother someone. So, out of respect to them, don't do it.
Which I've mentioned that I don't. I'm sure I've slipped on occasion, but I'm quite good knowing the proper time and place. I also teach my children not to swear if they pick it up from Mommy or Daddy (though I'm guessing that my explanation of why being "Because some people don't like that word and I don't want you to get in trouble" is probably different than most folks).
I guess the point I'm trying to make is twofold.
1) Making blind assumptions about others based on little to no information is just that, a blind assumption. I'm sure we've all heard the saying about what an assumption makes, even though the old saying contains a word that at one time was considered one of the highest forms of swears.
2) Attitude towards language and what constitutes a "swear" is changing in society. At one point in my childhood, saying "sucks" would have got me smacked. Today, not so much. I wouldn't doubt if we could find an example of a Disney animated character saying that.

Not to worry folks. I won't be dropping F-bombs next to your kiddies on Dumbo. I will likely be dropping them in the car stuck in traffic on the way into the parks though...

acishere

I do my best to watch my language when there for the sake of the children. But when it is hot, humid, crowded, and something really :banghead: happens I tend to slip up and mutter something under my breath...

I'm not like the guy behind me last time I rode PotC who yelled, "That is the realest ****ing robot I've ever seen!" at the top of their lungs when we pass by Johnny Depp. He had the most stereotypical New Yawk accent too. It was like Paulie Walnuts goes to Disney.

Last edited by a moderator:

habuma

It's called being respectful.

This.

It doesn't matter whether you think a certain word is acceptable to use in public or not. There may be others within earshot who disagree and certainly wouldn't want their children to hear it. If you think its fine to use certain words, then you certainly have the right to use them. But a respectful person would consider those around them and politely guard their words. Don't be the person who they remember as the one who tarnished their vacation. (Especially considering that it is entirely possible to carry on conversation without those words.)

There are certainly things that I could say or do that would offend others around me that aren't even cuss words. But recognizing that those others around me may be offended, I keep those to myself.

There's a time and place to discuss and debate whether certain words should be part of social norms, but at a theme park where children are present and families are just wanting to have a good time isn't it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom