bad language in the parks

cw1982

As a high school educator who teaches in a poverty-stricken area, I hear quite a bit of foul language. I handle it professionally, but also with patience.

The average American student spends about 6.5 hours in a classroom setting, and the remaining 17.5 hours outside of it. The kids bring a variety of challenges to our classrooms that are often outside the logistics of our funding and our time. In many cases, these kids come to my school district in Kindergarden, already dropping f-bombs.

We do what we can during their time in public education to promote courage, responsibility, and respect in our students (and the community), but we aren't miracle workers.

This. Exactly.

I too am a teacher in a very urban area. Many of my students see their parents for a total of 2-3 hours a week at best. For many of the students, their teachers do more parenting than their parents do, simply because they see the teachers more than they do the parents. Our school has about a 60% graduation rate, and the socioeconomic data for our school would probably make most people who come here cry for those kids.

I'm still getting used to the fact that many of these kids don't even realize when they are swearing... seriously... they are THAT desensitized to it. Many times that I have subtly pointed out offensive language, the kids get embarrassed and admit that they didn't even think they said those words out loud. It's a real problem that I have no answer to. I can either deliver my lessons and at least try to expose them to the curriculum, or I can address the language issues and dress code problems. In 85 minutes every other school day, I absolutely do NOT have time to do both and still run an effective classroom. Sad but true.

Last edited:

Dwarful

That's great. However I can't help thinking if I'd said something similar that the police would have become involved :rolleyes:

Don't worry, I felt really awful about myself. This grandmother (I wouldn't call her a grandma, nana or gram) looked perfect...perfect hair, nails, jewelry, dress, shoes, purse.....and here I was a horrible mom dress shopping in jeans, tshirt and tennis shoes. You could clearly tell she was highly offended that the girls were 1) dress shopping on their own and 2) talking bad enough to make a sailor blush.

Violiav

Last summer one of my nieces said something about "Wop" (I think it's a dance or song or something) and I nearly died. I asked her if she knew that was in-line with a racial slur. I showed her on the internet. Poor thing. She was so apologetic. LOL!

In another context it's a form of R&B that started in the '40s. I believe it refers to a sound an instrument makes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doo-wop

It's also a rap song by J. Dash featuring Flo Rida. I guess in that context according to Urban Dictionary is means this: The act of a female dancing and swinging their arms and bouncing their gluteus maximus in a way to arouse all men watching.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Why am I not surprised that most of the foul language was heard at F&W which has become nothing but a drunkfest where individual acts of debauchery and perversion are SO profound and disgusting that decorum prohibits listing them here.
shh dont tell Disney or theyll make it a hard ticket event a

Matt_Black

Because it fits into your judgmental, preconceived opinions so well? Just a guess....

giphy.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom