bad language in the parks

Kuzcotopia

The "norm" in our culture is not tolerated in schools where kids are learning, so I just think it shouldn't be tolerated where kids and young families are "playing" (WDW).

Agreed. It is not tolerated for the most part, but for some kids, foul language is as much of their vocabulary as breathing.

You can teach them what's right and what's wrong, and kids will listen. But when they go home and hear it constantly, everything you taught is unwoven and then it never really sticks.

It's hard to have a communication practice in public that is different from your private life, even in education.

Last edited:

Kuzcotopia

I wonder how common swearing really is at WDW.

On a given day, considering all the lines, transport, food, shopping, etc . . . And the vast number of people you interact/coexist with, how many actually are swearing?

It's easy to remember that one F word while standing in line with your kid waiting for a bus, but there are thousands of voices you hear as well who don't curse at all.

If the number of people regularly cursing at WDW is under .1%, then your odds of overhearing it once are really high, if you think about it.

I believe most people do the right thing. We just remember each instance of the wrong thing with greater clarity (including me).

copcarguyp71

In our shop we all swear like sailors all day long. Just usual mechanical shop talk but it DOES NOT come home with me. I draw the line at the end of the day. My parents never swore in front of me either. Our DD (age 11) learned all of the colorful vocabulary she is aware of on the school bus typically from kids with older siblings but she knows it is 100% not tolerated in our house period!

mergatroid

I did. Without the *'s. My inlaws thought it was hysterical. They had visions of Brian correcting his teacher: "My mom said that p*ssy is a bad word! just like saying ****.". :jawdrop::hilarious:

In England the word means something rather different than in America. I never use it myself and would be sleeping outside if I used it in eashot of Mrs Mergatroid anyway. She was absolutely mortified when on Kilimanjaro Safari ride a man nearby said to his girlfriend "watch your , we're going over some bumps". After a bit of quiet explaining I managed to calm her down but from a British perspective it did sound rather shocking :D

Last edited by a moderator:

copcarguyp71

In England the word means something rather different than in America. I never use it myself and would be sleeping outside if I used it in eashot of Mrs Mergatroid anyway. She was absolutely mortified when on Kilimanjaro Safari ride a man nearby said to his girlfriend "watch your , we're going over some bumps". After a bit of quiet explaining I managed to calm her down but from a British perspective it did sound rather shocking :D

LOL..."" is pretty innocuous here in the US and I would never correct DD for using it over "butt". Funny how things can be so different. I remember one time many moons ago when I was a kid I went to a sporting event with a jewish friend and his dad (I am not of the jewish faith) and used the word schmuck to which his father replied "hey, we don't use that word"...it was a good many years before I understood the misstep.

mergatroid

LOL..."" is pretty innocuous here in the US and I would never correct DD for using it over "butt". Funny how things can be so different. I remember one time many moons ago when I was a kid I went to a sporting event with a jewish friend and his dad (I am not of the jewish faith) and used the word schmuck to which his father replied "hey, we don't use that word"...it was a good many years before I understood the misstep.

:D

In England when an episode of the Simpsons aired in which Marge said '' there was a great deal of shock amongst many who had no idea of the 'translation'. To be honest it would be akin to you guys watching a Mickey cartoon and seeing him walk over to Minnie and say "Hey Minnie, Pluto's just taken a ***t on he rug" ................................ only worse!!!!!!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
1384686020945.gif

copcarguyp71

In England when an episode of the Simpsons aired in which Marge said '' there was a great deal of shock amongst many who had no idea of the 'translation'. To be honest it would be akin to you guys watching a Mickey cartoon and seeing him walk over to Minnie and say "Hey Minnie, Pluto's just taken a ***t on he rug" ................................ only worse!!!!!!

Bollox! (just kidding of course)

what is...things I learned from watching TopGear

mergatroid

Bollox! (just kidding of course)

what is...things I learned from watching TopGear

Yeah 'TopGear' isn't the most 'politically correct' tv show to promote us Brits in the best light (though it's a good show). They've got in trouble on a few occasions with comments on people from several different nations as well as remarks referencing gay people.

sweetpee_1993

Last summer one of my nieces said something about "Wop" (I think it's a dance or song or something) and I nearly died. I asked her if she knew that was in-line with a racial slur. I showed her on the internet. Poor thing. She was so apologetic. LOL!

copcarguyp71

Yeah 'TopGear' isn't the most 'politically correct' tv show to promote us Brits in the best light (though it's a good show). They've got in trouble on a few occasions with comments on people from several different nations as well as remarks referencing gay people.

HAHA...I am a BMW fan and somehow my DD age 11 got into it too so 8:30 every monday it is daddy/daughter time to watch the fab three on BBC America!

Dwarful

Yesterday I took my daughter shopping for a prom dress. While we were in the back fitting room area two teen girls who were shopping alone were carrying on quite a colorful conversation, loud enough for everyone around to hear them. When they came out of the fitting room a very proper grandmother said in her very proper grandmother voice "this is a dress shop, full of beautiful dresses and gowns, some are pretty, some are beautiful, some are daring, some are quite unique...but I don't think there is an ugly, vulgar dress in this shop. You two are young ladies that are beautiful, daring and unique. HOWEVER, your language in the presence of others is NOT beautiful, daring or unique. It is ugly, vulgar and offensive. We don't need to hear all those words to know that you have heard them and can use them correctly in context. You will go farther in life if you keep those words more to yourself and in private situations because no one is impressed when hearing them." I wanted to give the grandmother a shout out, her daughter looked pleased her granddaughters....less so. But it immediately made me think of this thread.

mergatroid

Yesterday I took my daughter shopping for a prom dress. While we were in the back fitting room area two teen girls who were shopping alone were carrying on quite a colorful conversation, loud enough for everyone around to hear them. When they came out of the fitting room a very proper grandmother said in her very proper grandmother voice "this is a dress shop, full of beautiful dresses and gowns, some are pretty, some are beautiful, some are daring, some are quite unique...but I don't think there is an ugly, vulgar dress in this shop. You two are young ladies that are beautiful, daring and unique."

That's great. However I can't help thinking if I'd said something similar that the police would have become involved :rolleyes:

WDWLover#1

I couldn't imagine hearing foul language at Disney. You must really be unhappy or just plain rude. Glad I've never heard anything there.

rkelly42

I have to admit, I do have some pretty poor language sometimes but not around my children or anyone else's children. There have been many a time in wdw that I would love to drop a few words here and there to different people but I have so far been able to hold back while my children or any child is around. Although I am sure there will be times I will let a few slip.

Potter

We go to Disney every year in Sept/Oct and always see IllumiNations at least once during the F & W festival. ....... For the first time ever in nearly forty years of visiting, I witnessed Disney in a way that maybe wouldn't be suitable for certain young children to be present.
Why am I not surprised that most of the foul language was heard at F&W which has become nothing but a drunkfest where individual acts of debauchery and perversion are SO profound and disgusting that decorum prohibits listing them here.

draybook

My coworker told me an interesting story. He just came back last weekend from a 3 day trip with his family. He said they were at the MK waiting for the MSEP and there was a guy and his kid that were trying to cross the path before the parade came through. A CM was "urging" them to hurry up but there was pretty much no clear path across. Well, this little guy points out a path for them to cross and says, "there's a way for you guys to go". He said that the man then shoved the little guy aside while saying(quite loudly), "get out of the way (gay slur here). My buddy was across the path on the other side and heard it, so I can only imagine how many others heard it.

That man should be ashamed of himself.

I don't think that the swearing at the MK is as rare as some folks might think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom