bad language in the parks

loveofamouse

My mother, daughter (7 years old) and I were riding It's a Small World last Sunday night and as luck would have it 3 teens sat down behind us on the boat. Not only did one of them talk the ENTIRE ride, she cussed like a sailor. Fortunately my daughter was all caught up in the song and the dolls and did not seem to notice. It took all I had to keep from saying anything, but I figured it just was not worth the drama it would have caused.

as a cussing sailor, i would have ed. i try not to cuss around other peoples kids if i dont know the parents and even then, i watch all of what i say. i would have said something

mergatroid

I've mever neen a big swearer although I do say the odd word when watching football or if telling a joke. Swearing doesn't really bother me most of the time, but around children I think it's wrong . I've got to be honest, I can't say I can remember hearing much swearing in Disney at all, at least not in front of kids. At the F & W Festival I've overheard a few drunk people swearing in conversation to one another but only as I passed them and it wasn't very loud. I do remember a guy coming in the gents toilets one evening as I was washing my hands and looking around to make sure there were no kids about before declaring to me for some reason that "And if Mickey thinks I'm ####### paying $30 for a t-shirt, then I'm ####### Donald Duck" but that was a one off and did make me smile.

AngieTink27

not surprisingly, most of it was at the F&W festival, lol.
this doesn't surprise me at all. Another reason DH and myself avoid F&W festival, CityWalk, or any other area which pander to society's lowest common denominator. I do not remember hearing any foul language while at the parks, but this is not something I pay attention to. But out of common courtesy, people should watch their tongues when in the presence of small children and try to set the positive example. I mean, it is DISNEY, people, so kids will be present. Use common sense to help you decide what language is apprpriate for the environment. If you are at home watching a game with the fellows, that is one thing. But a theme park which caters to families with small children should be obvious as not the place to swear and use foul language.

mergatroid

Wasn't there a story on here about an audioanimatronic on Splash Mountain that was supposed to have said "STFU" at some stage? I know it sounds bizarre but I'm sure somebody said it was the initials of the University an imagineer went to or something and just sounded like 'STFU'. I have a feeling it was supposed to be a chipmonk or sqirrel that popped his head out from above at some stage or otherwise it's the influence of the presription painkillers I'm on at the moment for my bad shoulder having an unexpected effect on my imagination :)

Tom

Beta Return
Wasn't there a story on here about an audioanimatronic on Splash Mountain that was supposed to have said "STFU" at some stage? I know it sounds bizarre but I'm sure somebody said it was the initials of the University an imagineer went to or something and just sounded like 'STFU'. I have a feeling it was supposed to be a chipmonk or sqirrel that popped his head out from above at some stage or otherwise it's the influence of the presription painkillers I'm on at the moment for my bad shoulder having an unexpected effect on my imagination :)

LOL, no....the gophers or groundhogs or whatever they are pop out of holes overhead and supposedly say "FSU" (Florida State University). It certainly sounds like they say it, whether it's true or not.

AngieTink27

Have you heard of a place called Universal? It is just down the street from WDW. Lots of good simulatiors and roller coasters. Go check it out! You would fit right in down there! And no you may not be responsible for my children or other peoples children, but you also could show a little self respect and watch your language when around them. You will understand this when you become an adult or have kids of your own some day.

Last edited by a moderator:

jencor

Where do you draw the line, and this probably explains why it is getting more common. I do not think there is an appropriate time. It has just become a habit for many and they do not even recognize it anymore. There was a time the f word made it an R rated movie automatically. Life sure has changed. Wh

Last edited by a moderator:

MickeyisMyBestFriend

It's the most Magical Place On Earth... Get it f....ing Right..lol. Jk.. Sometimes some people slip up, myself included, but I always try to watch my mouth, no matter how frustrated I am ..
lol, Okay it's the most magical place on earth:). I totally get it when people slip up because it happens to me but when someone if totally just spitting them out at there child.......come on.

mergatroid

LOL, no....the gophers or groundhogs or whatever they are pop out of holes overhead and supposedly say "FSU" (Florida State University). It certainly sounds like they say it, whether it's true or not.

That's it, thanks for that. Good to know I'm not just overmedicating :)

No you're not responsible for other people's kids but you're saying that as if it excuses you to behave in any manner you feel like without having any responsibility for your actions and how they affect others. Where do you draw the line with that attitude, what next? Go to Santa's grotto at Christmas time and tell all the kids Santa's got cancer or has been arrested for killing the elves? Perhaps pop down to the local children's playground and start reading the readers letters page out loud from Playboy to them? (just to clarify I'm only guessing they have a readers letters page as I have no experience of purchasing said publication personally :angelic:).

The thing is many people think of certain places as 'safe' to take their children to avoid them having to witness certain things and it's fair to say that Walt Disney World is one of those places. If they dragged their kids into a bar at 10pm at night then I'd say that you'd have a point and it's on them, but visiting Donald Duck shouldn't result in them having to witness you shouting "OMG, it's Donald ####### Duck, Let's go meet him"

If you do this I can also pretty much guarantee that not only are you ruining a lot of other people's time unfairly, but I'd put money on Donald Duck thinking "OMG, who is this f###### as##### coming here making a complete #### of himself" :banghead:

OnyxNine

The "f" word. The only word that can be almost every word in a sentence.
Is sad, but these days the use of the f word is like breathing for some people. Is part of their daily way of expression. Probably don't notice (or simply don't care) what they say, much less who is around.
Tho i am not innocent, i do my best to keep my mouth shut and count to 1000. :p

Ember

I cuss. A lot. I'm a Jersey girl, I can't help it :) But I did spend 10 years of my life living in the south and I know how to behave in public, especially in a place filled with small children. However, if I hurt myself...all bets are off :D

rct247

It's just a shift in cultural norms and what is acceptable in society. It isn't just found at Walt Disney World. It isn't a specific group of people, a specific word, or a specific event that cause such language. It just is more prevalent today just as much as females showing skin today compared back in 1914 or how rock n' roll music is ruining the fabric of the nation as it was in 1955 or how the Power Rangers are promoting violent crimes back in 1993. I was raised a sheltered child where about the only bad words I heard were "damn", "s**t", and "b***h" and those were extremely rare.

Things change and unfortunately, this seems to be one of them. You can place blame, preach the downfall of society, and relieve the golden years, but as with the other examples, this too will pass. Before you know it, these words will be so common and normal that they will lose their meaning as bad words and better described as words of frustration, excitement, or anger if it hasn't already started to morph into that already.

Even Disney admits to this in Carousel of Progress as we see clothing, gender roles, and respect for elders change through each act. The daughter in Act I is "indecent" and has to be home by 9pm and mother is busy doing all the housework, by Act IV she talks back to her parents, father is cooking while mother is programming the new oven, etc. Bad language is just one part of lower standards, less manners, and less civility we see all around us. I still doubt we'll ever see the day that Act IV is updated to reflect a future where bad words are spewed out even in the show script, but then again...will it ever even get an update at all.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom