Avengers Campus: E-Watch! (Waiting on the new ride)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Wait so they posted on social media to hype up the Marvel/ parks panel at NYCC and all they said is “more details to come.” Lol. What’s going on with these conventions? For example why didn’t they announce MMRRs opening date a few weeks ago at D23?
Sounds like things changing last minute.

Like with MMRR they may not have known if they were going to be done with ride testing to hand it over to operations so they could be done with training by January 27th.

So they probably had a go/no-go meeting right before D23 and now NYCC to determine what they could announce.

The older I get I realize that these corporations don’t have it any more figured out then we do. They re just made of people that miss deadlines and are winging it just like us.
I could have told you that a long time ago.....

Anyone that tells you they have a "plan" is just trying to sell you something. :)

disneylandtour

Endlessly disappointing. So there's a concept for the ride. But nothing seems to be designed and approved. I bet there's no budget. And the endless piling on of more characters suggest a screen-based experience where the film segments are randomized. Nothing very interesting in that technology. This is sounding more and more like a quickie D-ticket attraction as opposed to an E-ticket. The goal for industrial engineers was to move crowds from Disneyland to DCA. Two months after Avenger's Campus opened, crowds went back to their old patterns (tons at DL, a lot less at DCA). And a cheapie screen attraction isn't going to do much to change that. Neither is a Baymax meet and greet. Nor a new variation on the fountain show. In fact, five cheapie experiences won't change crowd distribution in any meaningful way. A true E-Ticket (like Rise, Radiator Springs, Flight of Passage, etc.) would. But at this point, I think the signs are that they will under budget everything and then, seven years from now, wonder why everyone is still at DL.

Phroobar

Endlessly disappointing. So there's a concept for the ride. But nothing seems to be designed and approved. I bet there's no budget. And the endless piling on of more characters suggest a screen-based experience where the film segments are randomized. Nothing very interesting in that technology. This is sounding more and more like a quickie D-ticket attraction as opposed to an E-ticket. The goal for industrial engineers was to move crowds from Disneyland to DCA. Two months after Avenger's Campus opened, crowds went back to their old patterns (tons at DL, a lot less at DCA). And a cheapie screen attraction isn't going to do much to change that. Neither is a Baymax meet and greet. Nor a new variation on the fountain show. In fact, five cheapie experiences won't change crowd distribution in any meaningful way. A true E-Ticket (like Rise, Radiator Springs, Flight of Passage, etc.) would. But at this point, I think the signs are that they will under budget everything and then, seven years from now, wonder why everyone is still at DL.
This pattern has changed since they built DCA. Nothing here should surprise us.

What we need is a DCA People Mover. That will get everyone to give up Disneyland.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I thought it was interesting that the Parks Blog described it as:
This upcoming epic family adventure will let you team up with the Avengers and their allies to battle against foes from the multiverse, including King Thanos, a villain designed specifically for Avengers Campus.

An "epic family adventure" does not sound like a thrill ride? And they seem to equate E Ticket with thrill ride these days rather than the old school greatest dark rides like Mansion or Pirates, which ARE epic family adventures.

Just from the image of the vehicle in the concept art I was thinking either a variant on Rise (at best) or Star Tours (at least). But I'm confused by that description. Then again, they may not know what it is yet either. lol

BrianLo

I thought it was interesting that the Parks Blog described it as:

An "epic family adventure" does not sound like a thrill ride? And they seem to equate E Ticket with thrill ride these days rather than the old school greatest dark rides like Mansion or Pirates, which ARE epic family adventures.

Just from the image of the vehicle in the concept art I was thinking either a variant on Rise (at best) or Star Tours (at least). But I'm confused by that description. Then again, they may not know what it is yet either. lol

That seems like the right call to me though, no? I know people sort of wanted a coaster, but it seems we’ve gone from a soaring / FOP like to now something with traversal. I say that’s the right call as the land really does already contain Guardians, which is definitely covering the thrills aspect in spades.

Rise feels too ambitious for the space. Though I’d qualify that as an epic family adventure ride. But I expect something in the vein of Universals Spider-Man and MMRR. Probably with America Chavez star portals bringing us in between ‘rooms’.

I strongly believe the last ride was sidelined in part because Disney will eventually swing around to a discrete Wakanda project. Particularly if the next film does gangbusters again.

MarvelCharacterNerd

That seems like the right call to me though, no? I know people sort of wanted a coaster, but it seems we’ve gone from a soaring / FOP like to now something with traversal. I say that’s the right call as the land really does already contain Guardians, which is definitely covering the thrills aspect in spades.

Rise feels too ambitious for the space. Though I’d qualify that as an epic family adventure ride. But I expect something in the vein of Universals Spider-Man and MMRR. Probably with America Chavez star portals bringing us in between ‘rooms’.

I strongly believe the last ride was sidelined in part because Disney will eventually swing around to a discrete Wakanda project. Particularly if the next film does gangbusters again.
I'd love to see an E Ticket that's more like a mild Rise (no drop) or MMRR that's family friendly. Actually, thinking about that and again looking at the vehicle, it could be something ala Ratatouille too, I suppose. We know there will be screens but it would be nice to have something between the thrill ride (M:BO) and the 'kiddy' ride (WS - which I really really enjoy but I know not everyone does) to round out the land.

BrianLo

I'd love to see an E Ticket that's more like a mild Rise (no drop) or MMRR that's family friendly. Actually, thinking about that and again looking at the vehicle, it could be something ala Ratatouille too, I suppose. We know there will be screens but it would be nice to have something between the thrill ride (M:BO) and the 'kiddy' ride (WS - which I really really enjoy but I know not everyone does) to round out the land.

I meant to post my impressions since I finally visited last month. Web shooters I actually thought was a good attraction. Maybe expectations were super low but it gets an unfair wrap I think.

It also is surprisingly accurate in its mechanics, or maybe I just was unnaturally good at it.

Sure the land itself is incredibly unambitious for such a major property, but I think the attraction mix will be fine if this new ride is at least good. The in land roaming entertainment package is also unparalleled.

mickEblu

I meant to post my impressions since I finally visited last month. Web shooters I actually thought was a good attraction. Maybe expectations were super low but it gets an unfair wrap I think.

It also is surprisingly accurate in its mechanics, or maybe I just was unnaturally good at it.

Sure the land itself is incredibly unambitious for such a major property, but I think the attraction mix will be fine if this new ride is at least good. The in land roaming entertainment package is also unparalleled.

Yeah I think the rock bottom expectations definitely helped you when it comes to Webslingers. It’s accurate but for me not as fun as Midway Mania for a few reasons such as the lack of a tactile component which makes it feel like the webs are flying out of nowhere. The competition aspect is stronger with Midway Mania and I find TSMM to be more charming/ whimsical/ fun. Also maybe I need to hit the gym but by the third or fourth screen my arms are shot.

The screens also for me work better (besides the fact they re so dim) on TSMM as we are playing games. Maybe not video games necessarily but we’re playing games. In Webslingers we re looking out at what’s supposed to be real physical places around Avengers Campus but we’re obviously looking at Video game graphics on ascreen. Toy Story’s characters are animated so it’s easier to buy into it.

There’s just certain nuances when it comes to screens that make a big difference. It’s kind of like Star Tours v GOTG:MB. It’s much easier to buy in with Star Tours when we’re looking through a “windshield” as opposed GOTG:MB where the screen is just there. Also because of the video game nature of Webslingers that’s exactly what it looks like - a video game. Not events taking place in real life.

In short, the theme is inherently at a disadvantage for a shooter/ screen ride when compared to TSMM.

Last edited:

D.Silentu

Sure the land itself is incredibly unambitious for such a major property, but I think the attraction mix will be fine if this new ride is at least good.
I think this is key. Galaxy’s Edge has demonstrated how a great ride elevates a land with inherent flaws.

BrianLo

Yeah I think the rock bottom expectations definitely helped you when it comes to Webslingers. It’s accurate but for me not as fun as Midway Mania for a few reasons such as the lack of a tactile component which makes it feel like the webs are flying out of nowhere. The competition aspect is stronger with Midway Mania and I find TSMM to be more charming/ whimsical/ fun. Also maybe I need to hit the gym but by the third or fourth screen my arms are shot.

The screens also for me work better (besides the fact they re so dim) on TSMM as we are playing games. Maybe not video games necessarily but we’re playing games. In Webslingers we re looking out at what’s supposed to be real physical places around Avengers Campus but we’re obviously looking at Video game graphics on ascreen. Toy Story’s characters are animated so it’s easier to buy into it.

There’s just certain nuances when it comes to screens that make a big difference. It’s kind of like Star Tours v GOTG:MB. It’s much easier to buy in with Star Tours when we’re looking through a “windshield” as opposed GOTG:MB where the screen is just there. Also because of the video game nature of Webslingers that’s exactly what it looks like - a video game. Not events taking place in real life.

In short, the theme is inherently at a disadvantage for a shooter/ screen ride when compared to TSMM.

Perhaps, I was more coming from the angle that it isn’t strictly a replay of TSMM. Better set integration, a little more elaborate and I took the team aspect as a pro (because again it’s not just TSMM redux). There also felt like there was way more to discover. I also like video games so that isn’t strictly a negative from my viewpoint.

I’ve told this story before but my first time at DL after taking friends on a whirlwind tour I asked what attraction they wanted to do again and unambiguously they wondered if there was another one like TSMM. That’s a controversial take and almost sacrilegious when considering the broader Disneyland lineup. But that’s what a bunch of mid millennials who weren’t me liked best. I feel like this attraction is for the kids and it succeeds at that.

Even if subjectively someone prefers TSMM, it doesn’t actually make WS bad. Unlike millennium falcon that I really feel like something is missing from.

No Name

I’ve told this story before but my first time at DL after taking friends on a whirlwind tour I asked what attraction they wanted to do again and unambiguously they wondered if there was another one like TSMM. That’s a controversial take and almost sacrilegious when considering the broader Disneyland lineup.
TSMM is also my favorite ride and certainly the one I like to ride the most. But I just don’t think Web Slingers is nearly as effective… it’s less charming, less fun, and more frustrating.

D.Silentu

Curiosity about the Avenger's Ride recently came up in another thread and that prompted me to do a bit of searching. I believe I've found two new points of interest. The first comes from another site that features the concept art shown at D23. Since the majority of the art was recycled most overlooked that alterations were made to the sanctum area, seen here:

SanctumNew.jpg

Apparently there is another piece of art that seemingly shows people walking through the area in the sanctum where the gates are now. I could not find it though. Listening to the D23 presentations again, it almost sounds like they intend to extend the land itself as opposed to merely adding a new ride.

The second thing I consider interesting is the possibility that the upcoming attraction may use Tokyo's Peter Pan ride system, as implied by @Burgower1994. Beyond the model of the ride vehicle there is not a lot of information at hand, but someone on the Tokyo side of the forums purports to have some insight:

..its a brand new technology for Disney parks soon to be implemented to avengers campus e ticket attraction in Anaheim a motion based track system that makes you feel you're flying into neverland.

If so, perhaps the Avengers ride vehicle will seem to fly? Food for thought.

Last edited:

TheDisneyParksfanC8

A little while ago you might remember that MiceChat posted an update where they were signed posted around Avengers Campus that said recording was in progress. MiceChat speculated this was for the design of the Avengers E ticket for the entrance and exit around the crowd flow. If they are already taking notes for how they are designing the entrance and exit points. Maybe this is coming sooner than we think. Also when the finale of the multiverse saga secret wars starts filming, they might shoot scenes for the attraction alongside the film. Also 2026 will be DCA's 25th birthday and having the E ticket would be a great attraction to add for the 25th.

MarvelCharacterNerd

A little while ago you might remember that MiceChat posted an update where they were signed posted around Avengers Campus that said recording was in progress. MiceChat speculated this was for the design of the Avengers E ticket for the entrance and exit around the crowd flow. If they are already taking notes for how they are designing the entrance and exit points. Maybe this is coming sooner than we think. Also when the finale of the multiverse saga secret wars starts filming, they might shoot scenes for the attraction alongside the film. Also 2026 will be DCA's 25th birthday and having the E ticket would be a great attraction to add for the 25th.
Fairly certain that had to do with Hulk. I heard about guests being given gift cards in exchange for being part of promo videos with him at that time that the signs were up.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Fairly certain that had to do with Hulk. I heard about guests being given gift cards in exchange for being part of promo videos with him at that time that the signs were up.
What you mentioned was more than likely the case. But I also mentioned scenes for the E ticket being filmed alongside secret wars. That also makes sense to do. I still see a 2026 opening at the earliest if we are lucky. Hopefully Disney will announced more concrete details for this ride at D23 2024.

MarvelCharacterNerd

What you mentioned was more than likely the case. But I also mentioned scenes for the E ticket being filmed alongside secret wars. That also makes sense to do. I still see a 2026 opening at the earliest if we are lucky. Hopefully Disney will announced more concrete details for this ride at D23 2024.
Hopefully the project doesn't disappear among the hiring freezes, layoffs and budget cuts!

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Hopefully the project doesn't disappear among the hiring freezes, layoffs and budget cuts!
Marry Poppins at Epcot is dead for sure. Knowing the popularity of the MCU and how it prints money and the fact that DCA needs another E ticket to help with crowds I think this will happen eventually and is one of the few things that has not been purged from WDI. Going off topic for a sec I wonder if once D+ reaches profitability in 2024 and once we are past the expected worldwide recession in 2023 Disney will start investing in the parks again.

mickEblu

Marry Poppins at Epcot is dead for sure. Knowing the popularity of the MCU and how it prints money and the fact that DCA needs another E ticket to help with crowds I think this will happen eventually and is one of the few things that has not been purged from WDI. Going off topic for a sec I wonder if once D+ reaches profitability in 2024 and once we are past the expected worldwide recession in 2023 Disney will start investing in the parks again.

It’s a shame. They could probably add a Coco D ticket to DCA for the amount of money they’re going to pour into PatF Mountain. Add that to all the other money wasted at DCA for lateral moves like Pixar Pier and Mission Breakout and you really can’t help but wonder how great DCA could be today. Or even just putting MMRR in DCA.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom