Avatar (the movie) and its Sequels

Wendy Pleakley

I hated the effect in The Hobbit and can’t for the life of me understand what the appeal is.

I hate the "soap opera effect" on TVs and cringe whenever someone has it setup that way.

However, sounds like Cameron is approaching this in a very specific way so curious to see what it looks like.

These “motion grading” adjustments – which Miller hopes will one day be as common as color grading in the post-production process – allow the film to be shown in 48 frames per second so that images look crisp and detailed on bigger, brighter and better displays, but without any unusual-looking motion taking viewers out of the story.

The result is that “Avatar: The Way of Water” is the first major film to be released in a high frame rate but adjusted to keep its “cinematic” look.

In the case of the “Avatar” sequel, the action and underwater sequences will run at a higher frame rate, allowing the motion to look better and more realistic, while dramatic scenes have been adjusted to look like the traditional 24 frames per second standard that audiences are accustomed to.

“It’s a tool for the director to create the look that he or she wants shot by shot,” Miller says. “It’s used selectively. Some shots may not need the tool at all.”

The end goal is to create a seamless visual experience that maximizes the aesthetic and cinematic appeal of each shot in the film.

TalkingHead

I hate the "soap opera effect" on TVs and cringe whenever someone has it setup that way.

However, sounds like Cameron is approaching this in a very specific way so curious to see what it looks like.

These “motion grading” adjustments – which Miller hopes will one day be as common as color grading in the post-production process – allow the film to be shown in 48 frames per second so that images look crisp and detailed on bigger, brighter and better displays, but without any unusual-looking motion taking viewers out of the story.

The result is that “Avatar: The Way of Water” is the first major film to be released in a high frame rate but adjusted to keep its “cinematic” look.

In the case of the “Avatar” sequel, the action and underwater sequences will run at a higher frame rate, allowing the motion to look better and more realistic, while dramatic scenes have been adjusted to look like the traditional 24 frames per second standard that audiences are accustomed to.

“It’s a tool for the director to create the look that he or she wants shot by shot,” Miller says. “It’s used selectively. Some shots may not need the tool at all.”

The end goal is to create a seamless visual experience that maximizes the aesthetic and cinematic appeal of each shot in the film.
That’s absolutely not the case in the Dolby theater. It’s not seamless at all unless the local AMC somehow botched the projection, which doesn’t seem likely with a DCP.

Ghost93

I imagine Avatar 2 will have a great first weekend, there's clearly huge interest in it. Where it goes from there is a mystery to me, as that three hour plus run time seems like a problem if the story and plot isn't absolutely fabulous and it relies on alien visuals and 3D gimmicks to keep the audience entertained.

It seems to me that after the 1 hour mark, you better darn well have a story and plot that the audience is enthralled by, once the computer wizardry and 3D novelty wears off.

Three hours and ten minutes, with no intermission, is a really long time for 21st century attention spans. I still have a 20th century attention span, and I would probably wander out to the snack bar at the 90 minute mark and may not go back.
Even though it was 3 hours, I was never bored. While the story is pretty standard, I think the characters are much more interesting than they were in the first film. I was emotionally invested throughout.

If you HAVE to go to the bathroom, I would recommend doing so at some point in the second hour, when the Sully family is learning how to adapt to the lifestyle of the water tribe. While these sequences are well done, they arent as essential to understanding the story like the entirety of the first hour or the exhilarating action-packed third hour.

Disney Analyst

Even though it was 3 hours, I was never bored. While the story is pretty standard, I think the characters are much more interesting than they were in the first film. I was emotionally invested throughout.

If you HAVE to go to the bathroom, I would recommend doing so at some point in the second hour, when the Sully family is learning how to adapt to the lifestyle of the water tribe. While these sequences are well done, they arent as essential to understanding the story like the entirety of the first hour or the exhilarating action-packed third hour.

Great tip! Thank you - will keep that in mind when we see it!

LittleBuford

That’s good to know. I’ll keep an open mind!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Also seeing reports that there are an unusually high number of presold tickets for dates outside of opening weekend.
I would guess that that's mostly because of the limited IMAX theaters and people wanting to see this in IMAX.

Based on personal experience. :)

DKampy

I would guess that that's mostly because of the limited IMAX theaters and people wanting to see this in IMAX.

Based on personal experience. :)
This is why I think this bodes well for Avatar becoming the biggest domestic grosser of 2022…average ticket prices will be higher and legs will be longer due to the demand for 3d and a quality movie screen

Plus despite what some people claimed before the release…the general population are very interest ed in The Way of Water

Phroobar

My showing tonight looks to be 2/3 full. Only the first two rows are empty. Most everyone is in the back half of the theater. Pretty typical for a good turn out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom