Avatar (the movie) and its Sequels

Figments Friend

Interesting to see my local theatre is having showings day-before release ( Thursday , 15th ).
I am aware of such happenings in the past for special events and evening shows, but I am seeing several shows starting in the early afternoon.

Anyone else seeing this listed as daytime showings being available on Thursday at their nearby theatres?
First time being aware of them starting this early. Just curious.
So technically, one could see this starting Thursday…a day early for the die hard enthusiasts.

I plan on going Opening Day.
Just found out I have the day off from work, and it could not have been more perfect.
So far, based on looking at the online ticket sales seating map, I will have the IMAX theatre pretty much to myself with only eight people thus far.
This is for a 2 pm showing mind you…the crowds are all arriving for primarily the evening shows that night.

Really looking forward to this.
Been waiting for a long time…and I know this will be worth the wait!

-

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Interesting to see my local theatre is having showings day-before release ( Thursday , 15th ).
I am aware of such happenings in the past for special events and evening shows, but I am seeing several shows starting in the early afternoon.

Anyone else seeing this listed as daytime showings being available on Thursday at their nearby theatres?
So technically, one could see this starting Thursday…a day early for the die hard enthusiasts.

Just found out I have the day off from work, and it could not have been more perfect.
So far, based on looking at the online ticket sales seating map, I will have the IMAX theatre pretty much to myself with only eight people thus far.
This is for a 2 pm showing mind you…the crowds are all arriving for primarily the evening shows that night.

-

The Thursday previews are happening earlier and earlier these days.

tcool123

-
Happens for every major (or attempted major) movie thats been released in Orlando or Miami.

Trying to see Avatr this Thursday at 3 PM

Wendy Pleakley

If memory serves the most recent Star Wars movies started previews around 7:00 on the Thursday but had a higher priced "premium" ticket for earlier previews, like 6:00.

I don't really care either way but I guess some people who really want to see a movie first might be unhappy about 3:00 "previews".

Beats midnight premiers in any case.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

-
It used to be that Thursday previews would start between 10p-12a depending on the film and time of year. However with more and more films becoming front loaded the time has shifted to now starting at 7pm for most Thursday previews, even outside holiday weekends, to capture more of the weekend box office.

Then event films started popping onto the scene in the late 90s-early 2000s and the times shifted again to even earlier in the day Thursday, and even sometimes on the Wednesday prior which used to only happen on holiday weekend, specifically for these films.

Here is a list of the top preview grosses with their preview start time, you'll see 3 of the top 5 started the Wednesday before the movie released:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
For sure, but as someone who missed Avatar the first time around... I had NO idea that it was an 8 month run? That is crazy.

Is there any chance this movie has the same legs in order to build up to the total it needs to break even?

Or is the box office so different now that you don't need 8 months to hit 4th highest grossing of all time?

I doubt that will happen in this case. In the case of the original, I think it was movie that not a lot of people had initial interest in, but once word of mouth spread about how visually spectacular it was people just had to go see it. With this one, people know what they are getting, and anyone who is interested is probably going to go see it in the theaters within the first few weeks.

DKampy

I would love to see two things:
  1. Avatar 2 do blockbuster business. Burbank needs that!
  2. Avatar 2 to get nominated for Best Picture, if only to prove Best Picture Oscars can still go to blockbuster movies.
This could be a good year for the Oscars ratings…because based on what’s been getting nods for other awards shows… this years Oscar’s could include Avatar, Top Gun, and Elvis…movies that people actually watch… if this happens it will be interesting to see if ratings improve

I love the Academy awards… It is always the television event I look forward to most…so I am rooting for it…but then again I am one of the few that will watch everything that is nominated

Phroobar

This could be a good year for the Oscars ratings…because based on what’s been getting nods for other awards shows… this years Oscar’s could include Avatar, Top Gun, and Elvis…movies that people actually watch… if this happens it will be interesting to see if ratings improve

I love the Academy awards… It is always the television event I look forward to most…so I am rooting for it…but then again I am one of the few that will watch everything that is nominated
If you had just those three movies up for best picture, I would guess Elvis would take it. The Academy loves historical movies. Avatar would take most technical awards. I can see Top Gun taking a cinematography award.

BrianLo

The CinemaScore coming off the weekend will be the next big thing to keep an eye on in terms of box office projections.

Avatar obviously legged out quite ridiculously on the back of 'just' an A. A+ usually indicate movies that will do crazy legs.

TP2000

I put this Deep Thought over in the Wakanda thread, but it has more relevance here. Because I know so many people hang on my every word as an Influencer and Global Tastemaker. ;)

I imagine Avatar 2 will have a great first weekend, there's clearly huge interest in it. Where it goes from there is a mystery to me, as that three hour plus run time seems like a problem if the story and plot isn't absolutely fabulous and it relies on alien visuals and 3D gimmicks to keep the audience entertained.

It seems to me that after the 1 hour mark, you better darn well have a story and plot that the audience is enthralled by, once the computer wizardry and 3D novelty wears off.

Three hours and ten minutes, with no intermission, is a really long time for 21st century attention spans. I still have a 20th century attention span, and I would probably wander out to the snack bar at the 90 minute mark and may not go back.

Clamman73

No spoilers but DAMN the movie was amazing. Easily better than the 1st one and it was sold out.
Can you say anything about the look of the characters/world graphics, ie, is it obvious they took advantage of today’s graphics capabilities as compared to first film?

Disney Analyst

Looking good so far.

1671155267212.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom