Avatar (the movie) and its Sequels

Ghost93

Dolby Cinema > IMAX if you've got it.

But yep. I wanted Dolby Cinema, 3D, reserved reclined seat, centered left-to-right, three rows from the back. So I'm going 12/23.
I saw it in Dolby since I wanted the comfy reclining seats, especially with the three-hour runtime.

I didn't really notice the high frame rate. Maybe it's because the film is almost entirely CGI, the movie didn't feel like a movie set in the way high frame rates have hurt other films.

Phroobar

iu

CaptainAmerica

I saw it in Dolby since I wanted the comfy reclining seats, especially with the three-hour runtime.
The problem with IMAX for this one is that single-projector IMAX is too dim for 3D glasses and dual-projector IMAX can't show HFR at 4K because they overheat so the HFR parts are in 2K.

I didn't really notice the high frame rate. Maybe it's because the film is almost entirely CGI, the movie didn't feel like a movie set in the way high frame rates have hurt other films.
Most of the movie isn't HFR, it switches back and forth for the action scenes and the "spectacle" scenes. The normal "characters talking and doing stuff" parts are standard framerate.

Phroobar

The problem with IMAX for this one is that single-projector IMAX is too dim for 3D glasses and dual-projector IMAX can't show HFR at 4K because they overheat so the HFR parts are in 2K.

Most of the movie isn't HFR, it switches back and forth for the action scenes and the "spectacle" scenes. The normal "characters talking and doing stuff" parts are standard framerate.
I thought someone said the entire movie is HFR but the talking scenes were just frame doubled to keep it at 60fps. Why would a duel IMax projector overheat at 4k when it is shown digitally?

CaptainAmerica

I thought someone said the entire movie is HFR but the talking scenes were just frame doubled to keep it at 60fps.
Good point (though it's 48 fps for the HFR parts and 24 fps for the normal parts). So as far as the projector is concerned, it's displaying the whole thing at 48 fps. But most of the movie has the doubled-up frames to make it appear 24 fps to the eye. I believe Cameron even did "ramp up" and "ramp down transitions where the duplicated frames wouldn't just stop suddenly.

Because of this, the whole movie in a dual laser IMAX 3D theater will be in 2K resolution only.

Why would a duel IMax projector overheat at 4k when it is shown digitally?
The same reason a PC graphics card gets hot when it's running a demanding game, I imagine. But I'm not an AV guy, I'm trusting the nerds at Reddit and Engadget.

Phroobar

Good point (though it's 48 fps for the HFR parts and 24 fps for the normal parts). So as far as the projector is concerned, it's displaying the whole thing at 48 fps. But most of the movie has the doubled-up frames to make it appear 24 fps to the eye. I believe Cameron even did "ramp up" and "ramp down transitions where the duplicated frames wouldn't just stop suddenly.

Because of this, the whole movie in a dual laser IMAX 3D theater will be in 2K resolution only.

The same reason a PC graphics card gets hot when it's running a demanding game, I imagine. But I'm not an AV guy, I'm trusting the nerds at Reddit and Engadget.
Except a PC graphics card is actually generating the image from code. A projector is just displaying the HDMI image from the bluray player or directly streamed.

CaptainAmerica

Except a PC graphics card is actually generating the image from code. A projector is just displaying the HDMI image from the bluray player or directly streamed.
*shrug*

Like I said, I don't know. I know that dual-projector IMAX theaters have received a 2K file for The Way of Water 3D. I don't understand the engineering of why.

_caleb

*shrug*

Like I said, I don't know. I know that dual-projector IMAX theaters have received a 2K file for The Way of Water 3D. I don't understand the engineering of why.
So this was just speculation, then?

Figments Friend

EPIC.
As expected, utterly beautiful 3D visuals…..my Eywa did that three hours go by FAST!
Could not believe it when the film ended….did not at all feel stretched out or ‘long’.
Honestly, felt like a hour and a half in length.
Just wow.
So much to take in both visually and plot wise.

This is a must see in IMAX 3D.
Cameron delivers yet again.

My only quibble ( no spoilers ) -
How many times the teenage characters call each other ‘Bro’.
It can be a new drinking game, seriously.

I will definitely be seeing this again.
So much to take in visually, and a lot of details in the backgrounds.
Astoundingly good, and that goes for the way the story was told as well.

-

Last edited:

TP2000

The numbers are in for domestic box office yesterday, the first day for Avatar Way of Water in American theaters. It's a cash tsunami at the box office. And as expected, it's washing away the competition.

Big numbers, bro! Surfs Up, bro! (Drink twice!)

SurfsUp.jpg

Ghost93

My only quibble ( no spoilers ) -
How many times the teenage characters call each other ‘Bro’.
It can be a new drinking game, seriously.
Lol, I thought the same thing! They said "bro" as many times as Rose said "Jack" in Titanic. Cameron is great at structuring a story and manipulating audience's emotions, but dialogue isn't his strong suit.

I actually feel the movie could have been even LONGER!! I would have liked to have spent an additional 20 minutes at the start of the film exploring the Sully family dynamic before the humans return.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Lol, I thought the same thing! They said "bro" as many times as Rose said "Jack" in Titanic. Cameron is great at structuring a story and manipulating audience's emotions, but dialogue isn't his strong suit.

I actually feel the movie could have been even LONGER!! I would have liked to have spent an additional 20 minutes at the start of the film exploring the Sully family dynamic before the humans return.

gerarar

Premium Member
Went to go see Avatar 2 tonight in IMAX 3D, only for the power to go out 40 mins in. We waited about 10 mins until they announced that it won't be coming back for the night. This was a 10:45pm showing, and it was packed, so there was a lot of unhappy guests haha.

We got 5 vouchers for my party and a $10 giftcard to use anytime at any AMC theater. We'll probably give it another go on Sunday when time frees up again.

It was kinda eerie too; the theater had all its lights on, but when you go out to the lobby, it was pitch dark. Lots of flashlights and a long line of people to guest service to claim the vouchers, but it was surely an experience lol

I also forgot to return my glasses in the mess, so at least I got a souvenir now!

Jedijax719

$17 million previews
$35 million pure Friday
probably around $130-$135 million opening weekend unless it explodes today and tomorrow

Oof. Not horrible, but still rather OOF.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom