Avatar (the movie) and its Sequels

DKampy

$17 million previews
$35 million pure Friday
probably around $130-$135 million opening weekend unless it explodes today and tomorrow

Oof. Not horrible, but still rather OOF.
I would not worry too much about that… it has been said premium theaters are selling out… but the theaters are not selling tickets for just a normal screening…if people can not get into a 3d Imax/Dolby they are opting to wait till they can see it on the best screen possible. I read somewhere only 35% of the screen in the US are Premiums

This is not gonna play like your normal tentpole

mickEblu

Dolby 3D, according to James Cameron. As long as you mean "Dolby Cinema 3D," and not "a normal screen with 3D and Dolby sound."

No I meant Dolby Cinema 3D. I kind of wrote off 3D years ago when I realized the screens always looked too dim. I’ve never seen anything anything in Dolby Cinema 3D. Is it crisp and vibrant? I also just wonder if three hours of any kind of 3D will be tiring on your eyes. Man I sound old.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
No I meant Dolby Cinema 3D. I kind of wrote off 3D years ago when I realized the screens always looked too dim. I’ve never seen anything anything in Dolby Cinema 3D. Is it crisp and colorful? I also just wonder if three hours of any kind of 3D will be tiring on your eyes. Man I sound old.
Yes, that's the advantage of Dolby Cinema 3D. It has two projectors so the whole thing is going to be nice and bright, and in full 4K resolution.

IMAX either has one projector (full resolution but too dim for 3D) or two projectors (bright but not full resolution).

I THINK (but I'm not positive) that all of the Dolby Cinema auditoriums have the nice recliner seating too. Some of the IMAX seats are stadium-style and very uncomfortable.

mickEblu

Yes, that's the advantage of Dolby Cinema 3D. It has two projectors so the whole thing is going to be nice and bright, and in full 4K resolution.

IMAX either has one projector (full resolution but too dim for 3D) or two projectors (bright but not full resolution).

I THINK (but I'm not positive) that all of the Dolby Cinema auditoriums have the nice recliner seating too. Some of the IMAX seats are stadium-style and very uncomfortable.

Cool thanks for the detail. The new theatre by my house that has been my Go-To the last 6 months has an IMAX and Dolby Cinema with recliner seats. I’m not sure if a new theatre in America is opening without recliner seats at this point?

I remember when IMAX meant ginormous screen. If they re going to just call a large ish screen/ theatre IMAX what’s the point?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I remember when IMAX meant ginormous screen. If they re going to just call a large ish screen/ theatre IMAX what’s the point?
The AV nerds call those screens "LIEmax," and I think most IMAX-branded auditoriums fall into that category. The first giant screen I saw was the OMNIMAX domed theater at the Boston Museum of Science. It's a monstrosity that offers 180 degree field of vision with seats that lay backwards. I saw an ocean documentary there when I was 5 or 6 and it gave me a crippling fear of whales that I haven't quite recovered from.

mickEblu

The AV nerds call those screens "LIEmax," and I think most IMAX-branded auditoriums fall into that category. The first giant screen I saw was the OMNIMAX domed theater at the Boston Museum of Science. It's a monstrosity that offers 180 degree field of vision with seats that lay backwards. I saw an ocean documentary there when I was 5 or 6 and it gave me a crippling fear of whales that I haven't quite recovered from.

Lol at lie-max. I think the only real IMAX left in my area is the one at Universal City Walk. I haven’t seen a movie there since The Dark Knight. Other than that it’s the California Science Center that doesn’t play major motion pictures.

Phroobar

I am totally surprised on how well done that movie was. The story is much better than the original. They got the characters in difficult situations and ended with neither side winning. Definitely a good middle trilogy story. The 3D and CG were incredible. Unlike the Polar Express, you can actually see the characters breathing. The three hours didn't feel long or overdrawn. My eyes did get tired from watching every so often that I had to give them a rest. This is what a great blockbuster movie should be.

We need Disneyland Avatar Submarine voyage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom