LittleMissMinnie

Exactly what I was wondering above. The night safari sounds awesome from a guest perspective, but it does seem like it might mess with animal sleeping habits and such unless they get some more nocturnal ones. And even then there's have to be a lot of extra lighting to be able to see them, plus they're going to be more difficult for the driver to see at night regardless of how good the lighting is. What if one the the animals got spooked and darted in front of the truck and the driver couldn't see well enough?

Disney is Disney sure, but not sure whether they'll want to do this still with any obvious and potential liabilities involved...

I heard on a WDWRadio show once that they tried a night safari before but I can't find the actual show number but here is a brief description:

Kilimanjaro Safaris typically operates until sundown. However, during the holiday season of 1998, the safaris were continued at night and dubbed Kilimanjaro Night Safaris. Though many animals were asleep, or unable to be seen at night, the attraction had a completely different script and storyline. This "new" attraction featured additional animal sounds, reflectors hidden in the foliage to resemble animals' eyes, and an actual African dance troup, who performed around a bonfire in the area normally occupied by the attraction's elephants. Kilimanjaro Night Safaris only ran during that initial holiday season. After this time, it was deemed that the additional costs, plus the fact that animal visibility was poor (eliciting many guest complaints), made Night Safaris unfeasible to continue regularly.

Knowing that they've tried it before and failed (guests were unsatisfied, animals didn't cooperate) makes me wonder if they would ever give it another go.

Timekeeper

The omnimover at Epcot. The Angler Fish is on the end of a Kuka arm to move it around fast.

nemo_angler_fish_kuka.jpg

No flash photography? o_O

Disneyhead'71

The animal concerns are being looked into and may result in some modifications to the collection, but DAK is very proud of their position in the AZA and they wouldn't do anything to jeopardize their accreditation.

It doesn't take that long. Most of the animals know when it's time to come in and line up at the doors, just like they do at meal time. This is common behavior at all zoos. Also, a large number of the animals at DAKL stay out all night and it's not an issue.

Comparing Transformers/Potter to FLE is fair. Avatar is in an entirely different category. The E-ticket ride system they're working on has never been done before.
Sooooo, Forbidden Journey was done before? Gringott's? Hogwarts Express?

But I do agree that comparing ANY attraction construction project to Transformers is disingenuous. Universal had a reason and the cash to do it, so they did. But no one, under normal conditions is going to run 3 shifts, 24/7.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Indeed. But it took how long before the ride system was greenlit?

Forbidden Journey was a new ride system. First Kuka on a track reacting with a built environment. Just sayin'.

I hope Avland blows us out the water. I really do. But one ride, one diversion and a few stores would be an insult to what DAK needs. I just pray that the Theatre project is fully implemented.

Is it bad that I'm already hoping for merchandise that can't be bought on Amazon, or at Walmart? Something DAK/Avatar specific ? I hope the stores aren't stuffed with action figures and...whatever other stupid merch was available for Avatars release. I don't even remember it. :\

And I'm hoping youre right- that Avatar will be amazing and will blow our minds. And that it extends the hours at DAK.

GLaDOS

Is it bad that I'm already hoping for merchandise that can't be bought on Amazon, or at Walmart? Something DAK/Avatar specific ? I hope the stores aren't stuffed with action figures and...whatever other stupid merch was available for Avatars release. I don't even remember it. :\

What is there to merchandise, though? I can seem some plush, but what else?

EDIT: Also, I don't want this to seem like another anit-Avatar post. I'm no fan of the franchise coming, but for the life of me I can't think of anything merchandise-able from the movie.

Skibum1970

Theatre Project? Separate from E ticket?

I believe that the Theater project referred to is the E-Ticket (Soaring 8.0 as it was referred to). Only other ride mentioned with Avatar is either a boat ride or a walkthrough (depending on budget). Of course, I don't know anything beyond what has been posted (including the leaked plans).

Skibum1970

Aye, tis worrisome. And i'm even more worried that the supposed second ride will be downgraded to a walkthrough...

While there's never a good time to mutilate budgets when it comes to theme park attractions, that's the last thing this project needs at this point.

I'm wondering how a boat ride would be that much more expensive than a walkthrough. The trough, water movement systems, and ride operators do add more but you get customer satisfaction that a walkthrough doesn't provide. Especially when you're already spending a few hundred million...

GLaDOS

I believe that the Theater project referred to is the E-Ticket (Soaring 8.0 as it was referred to). Only other ride mentioned with Avatar is either a boat ride or a walkthrough (depending on budget). Of course, I don't know anything beyond what has been posted (including the leaked plans).

The theater refers to the nighttime show.

lazyboy97o

I heard on a WDWRadio show once that they tried a night safari before but I can't find the actual show number but here is a brief description:

Kilimanjaro Safaris typically operates until sundown. However, during the holiday season of 1998, the safaris were continued at night and dubbed Kilimanjaro Night Safaris. Though many animals were asleep, or unable to be seen at night, the attraction had a completely different script and storyline. This "new" attraction featured additional animal sounds, reflectors hidden in the foliage to resemble animals' eyes, and an actual African dance troup, who performed around a bonfire in the area normally occupied by the attraction's elephants. Kilimanjaro Night Safaris only ran during that initial holiday season. After this time, it was deemed that the additional costs, plus the fact that animal visibility was poor (eliciting many guest complaints), made Night Safaris unfeasible to continue regularly.

Knowing that they've tried it before and failed (guests were unsatisfied, animals didn't cooperate) makes me wonder if they would ever give it another go.
Lou is never going to give the real reasons for any of Disney's actions, just the Disney scrubbed and scrutinized reason.

EPCOTCenterLover

Right. No one is suggesting that DAK will be open until midnight like the MK, but adding two or three hours to their current schedule will make a big difference.
I know it will for me! DAK is a greatly themed park that I would love to explore after hours. At the Magic Kingdom parks, Adventureland has usually been my favorite for exploring after dark. So I say bring it on! :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So FoTLK's move to Harambe could be scrapped still at this point?

I doubt it, another big permit filed for it today for Construction one of Disney's big contractors:

803 West Savannah Circle, 3400 Osceloa Parkway - Animal Kingdom Africa Facility Improvements

Locations called out in the permit are:

LOCATION "l"- 803 West Savannah Circle, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830 (Pkg 1 Site Enabling)

LOCATION "2"- 803 West Savannah Circle, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830 (Pkg 2 Facility Improvements)

LOCATION "3"- 803 West Savannah Circle, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830 (Package 4 Area Development)

LOCATION "4"- 3400 COI Osceola Parkway, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830 (Trailer Deck)

LOCATION "5"- 3400 CO1 Osceola Parkway, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830 (Trailer CO1)

LOCATION "6"- 3400 CO2 Osceola Parkway, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830 (Trailer CO2)

Figments Friend

I know it will for me! DAK is a greatly themed park that I would love to explore after hours. At the Magic Kingdom parks, Adventureland has usually been my favorite for exploring after dark. So I say bring it on! :)

Agree.
I have said before, likely in this very thread, how beautiful DAK is in the evening.

It is a great shame most Guests do not get to see that now. The themed lighting, and washes of color used in some of the flood lighting on the trees is visually stunning.

Evening EHM at DAK were something i enjoyed quite a bit....the #1 reason being just the atmosphere.

I have confidence that the new 'Avatar' aspect will add to this greatly, and if nothing else, give DAK a reason to stay open into the evening again.

Rodan75

What is there to merchandise, though? I can seem some plush, but what else?

EDIT: Also, I don't want this to seem like another anit-Avatar post. I'm no fan of the franchise coming, but for the life of me I can't think of anything merchandise-able from the movie.

D-Tech Me Na'vi. I bet D-Tech shops are planned at both DAK and DHS

doctornick

No, the theatre is moving.

So, to clarify.... When you are saying this:

I hope Avland blows us out the water. I really do. But one ride, one diversion and a few stores would be an insult to what DAK needs. I just pray that the Theatre project is fully implemented.

You mean that you hope that the FOTLK is actually moved to Africa, right? And I guess your thought there is if the FOTLK actually gets fully moved then that means that Avatar is proceeding as scheduled and is not being sidetracked.

Is that a reasonable synopsis?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom