Tim_4

Original Poster
I think it will be a nice addition. Hard to imagine it as an E-ticket based on what we know about it.
Hard to imagine Peter Pan's Flight as an E-ticket based on what we know about it, but hey.
I did notice a crane and a lot of construction just past the construction walls in Africa. Is this preparation for Avatar?
Not Avatar proper, but part of the "full-day" conversion.

doctornick

I'm still skeptical that they will effectively make this a "full day" park for most guests with only 2 Avatar rides + a night time show or parade. Certainly would help quite a bit, but I think many guests would still find it lacking unless other rides are added.

NoChesterHester

Hard to imagine Peter Pan's Flight as an E-ticket based on what we know about it, but hey.

I remain hopeful, but that was a different era entirely. I'm not a jump to conclusions type of guy.

Is that still on the table Tim? I'd love to see WDI's actual list of what they consider additions that would keep people for a "full day."

I have to say that after this last trip AK jumped to the top of my list for favorite park at WDW. We took our time and really soaked in the environment. It is richly and deeply detailed and well researched. If only more would take a similar approach rather than just run to the three rides in the park and leave.

Tim_4

Original Poster
Is that still on the table Tim? I'd love to see WDI's actual list of what they consider additions that would keep people for a "full day."
I mean DAK will be open at night time. I'm not aware of anything NEW besides Avatar and the "night time spectacular" but there are modifications to the existing offerings that are necessary to make them operational at night.

Captain Chaos

Just to stir the pot a bit on our unrelated side topic, Birnbaum's of course makes the "official" Disney World guide, and here is something interesting in their 2014 guide description:

"As the pixie dust settles on the newly-expanded Fantasyland, Birnbaum describes everything this Magic Kingdom neighborhood has to offer, including the highly-anticipated Seven Dwarfs Mine Train coaster-an E-Ticket attraction for the whole family."

Disney is apparently trying to sell the Mine Train as an E-Ticket...we'll see how that works for them. Haven't they already run into trouble by building up overly-high expectaions for New Fantasyland?
They are also trying to sell it as a mountain... it's not.

MerlinTheGoat

I have no doubt in my mind that Animal Kingdom could look absolutely stunning at night assuming it was given the proper lighting. I'd say that the night time experiences at the other three WDW parks give the visuals of the daytime experience a run for their money. AK is a gorgeous park period, night time could be a wonderful time.

The night safari should be fairly impressive.
That...sounds completely awesome. So they're planning to keep the safari open after dark and continue running regular guests through as normal? (Not an extra charge thing is it?)

Are they planning on swapping out some of the animals at night though for ones that are more nocturnal than the ones shown during the day. I realize some of the animals on the safari can be active at night, but not sure about all of them.

Honestly I might be looking forward to the night time alterations to AK more than any expansion plans for Avatar at this point. I'm not really vehemently against Avatar if done really incredibly well (though still don't think it belongs there and would like something else), but the prospect of seeing Animal Kingdom get lighting upgrades for night time use is somehow exciting for me. I love the parks at night and feel the experience is very different (and often improved).

Tim_4

Original Poster
That...sounds completely awesome. So they're planning to keep the safari open after dark and continue running regular guests through as normal? (Not an extra charge thing is it?)
As far as I know.

One thing regarding the timeline. People keep comparing the 2017 timeline to Transformers at Universsl but there are several major differences. First, Transformers is a clone of 1999 technology brought up to current standards. Second, the show box is military/industrial themed, not outdoor alien planet. The prototyping and design/development involved with Avatar so far, especially the E-ticket, is on track to be truly special and unique. If Avatar were just a Soarin' clone, as people had originally appreciated, the timeline would have been much closer to that of Transformers.

MerlinTheGoat

Is there going to be any usage of animatronic character elements in the Avatar ride(s)? I'm let down by way too many modern attractions overusing projections as an excuse for show scenes instead of physical sets and robotic characters/animals.

Tim_4

Original Poster
Is there going to be any usage of animatronic character elements in the Avatar ride(s)? I'm let down by way too many modern attractions overusing projections as an excuse for show scenes instead of physical sets and robotic characters/animals.
I think physical sets are more likely than physical characters but I don't know this for sure. My hunch is that that they'll want Avatar to have more speed than robotics can provide reliably.

bubbles1812

I'm still skeptical that they will effectively make this a "full day" park for most guests with only 2 Avatar rides + a night time show or parade. Certainly would help quite a bit, but I think many guests would still find it lacking unless other rides are added.
And don't forget... No parade. That has been axed. And the night time show is on shaky ground at best and will be axed if the project runs over budget as it undoubtedly will (Sorry, I have to be realistic)... It's WDI after all.

Also, isn't part of the reason why AK closed early is because of the animals (or for that matter any zoo)? Thought it was though I could be wrong. The night safari concept surprises me. Mean to do that, they are either going to have to bring in some nocturnal animals (that are big enough to see) or put in some big ol' lights out on the "reserve"... Which I assume could mess with the animals sleeping habits, along with noisy trucks going by. And that notwithstanding, I would imagine just seeing all the sleeping animals wouldn't exactly get rave reviews. So call me skeptical on this one. It just doesn't make a lot of logistical sense when you think about it... But then it's Disney...

MerlinTheGoat

And don't forget... No parade. That has been axed. And the night time show is on shaky ground at best and will be axed if the project runs over budget as it undoubtedly will... It's WDI after all.
Aye, tis worrisome. And i'm even more worried that the supposed second ride will be downgraded to a walkthrough...

While there's never a good time to mutilate budgets when it comes to theme park attractions, that's the last thing this project needs at this point.

MerlinTheGoat

Also, isn't part of the reason why AK closed early is because of the animals (or for that matter any zoo)? Thought it was though I could be wrong. The night safari concept surprises me. Mean to do that, they are either going to have to bring in some nocturnal animals (that are big enough to see) or put in some big ol' lights out on the "reserve"... Which I assume could mess with the animals sleeping habits, along with noisy trucks going by. And that notwithstanding, I would imagine just seeing all the sleeping animals wouldn't exactly get rave reviews. So call me skeptical on this one. It just doesn't make a lot of logistical sense when you think about it... But then it's Disney...
Exactly what I was wondering above. The night safari sounds awesome from a guest perspective, but it does seem like it might mess with animal sleeping habits and such unless they get some more nocturnal ones. And even then there's have to be a lot of extra lighting to be able to see them, plus they're going to be more difficult for the driver to see at night regardless of how good the lighting is. What if one the the animals got spooked and darted in front of the truck and the driver couldn't see well enough?

Disney is Disney sure, but not sure whether they'll want to do this still with any obvious and potential liabilities involved...

bubbles1812

Exactly what I was wondering above. The night safari sounds awesome from a guest perspective, but it does seem like it might mess with animal sleeping habits and such unless they get some more nocturnal ones. And even then there's have to be a lot of extra lighting to be able to see them, plus they're going to be more difficult for the driver to see at night regardless of how good the lighting is. What if one the the animals got spooked and darted in front of the truck and the driver couldn't see well enough?

Disney is Disney sure, but not sure whether they'll want to do this still with any obvious and potential liabilities involved...
Agreed. It just seems like a terrible idea from the animal perspective. (And AK is an accredited zoo after all. They do go thru inspections. Not sure what the accreditation board would think of this one. Disney at the very least could get some bad publicity from keeping their animals awake at night)

I'm just going to call Tim's info bullox for now. Too many holes when you really think about them implementing this. And I think that goes back to the argument of why AK isn't a full day park... You need to add a lot of rides/attractions to make up for the fact that the animals have to go to sleep.

lazyboy97o

Agreed. It just seems like a terrible idea from the animal perspective. (And AK is an accredited zoo after all. They do go thru inspections. Not sure what the accreditation board would think of this one. Disney at the very least could get some bad publicity from keeping their animals awake at night)

Busch Gardens Tampa, which is also accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, is open until 10:00 PM some nights and does special night safaris.

bubbles1812

Busch Gardens Tampa, which is also accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, is open until 10:00 PM some nights and does special night safaris.
What does "special" night safaris mean? Just curious. Is it open to some guests or all guests? For only a specific period of time? Or open til 10 the whole way? And I notice you said it's open til 10 only some nights... Which would suggest there is still the issue of animal safety since it is not run every single night. So one would have to surmise Disney would have to do something similar with their ride. It can't be a daily thing

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom