TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Is there going to be any usage of animatronic character elements in the Avatar ride(s)? I'm let down by way too many modern attractions overusing projections as an excuse for show scenes instead of physical sets and robotic characters/animals.
I'm with you on that one. Something along the lines of Forbidden Journey would be an okay balance. Spidey is alright, but Transformers... just too many screens and not enough actual THINGS.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm with you on that one. Something along the lines of Forbidden Journey would be an okay balance. Spidey is alright, but Transformers... just too many screens and not enough actual THINGS.
Still, a brand new E ticket just for the hell of it (and to avoid a tax hit) compared to an empty building.....

14 months is a record in anyone's book. The fact Potter phase two is opening in a 30 month timescale is testament to the bloated WDI way of working and the fact this projects problems makes the FLE fiasco seem like an easy ride.

GLaDOS

Still, a brand new E ticket just for the hell of it (and to avoid a tax hit) compared to an empty building.....

14 months is a record in anyone's book. The fact Potter phase two is opening in a 30 month timescale is testament to the bloated WDI way of working and the fact this projects problems makes the FLE fiasco seem like an easy ride.

Yea. Universal built a ride that is now the best in its park in less than a year. How anyone can sneeze at that is beyound me.

Jake Wilson

All animals are called in by a different signal every evening, they are then put away and sleep in their shelters for the night. This is one reason DAK closes so early, it takes several hours to do this.

lazyboy97o

What does "special" night safaris mean? Just curious. Is it open to some guests or all guests? For only a specific period of time? Or open til 10 the whole way? And I notice you said it's open til 10 only some nights... Which would suggest there is still the issue of animal safety since it is not run every single night. So one would have to surmise Disney would have to do something similar with their ride. It can't be a daily thing
Like all parks, Busch Gardens Tampa has hours that vary from day to day, but they are consistently open later than Disney's Animal Kingdom. The special nighttime safaris are up charge events held several times throughout the year.

If animals want to sleep, they sleep. I'm sure everybody has seen plenty of sleeping animals during their rides on the Kilimanjaro Safari. The animals are also not required to come in at night, that is their choice.

Tim_4

Original Poster
And don't forget... No parade. That has been axed. And the night time show is on shaky ground at best and will be axed if the project runs over budget as it undoubtedly will (Sorry, I have to be realistic)... It's WDI after all.

Also, isn't part of the reason why AK closed early is because of the animals (or for that matter any zoo)? Thought it was though I could be wrong. The night safari concept surprises me. Mean to do that, they are either going to have to bring in some nocturnal animals (that are big enough to see) or put in some big ol' lights out on the "reserve"... Which I assume could mess with the animals sleeping habits, along with noisy trucks going by. And that notwithstanding, I would imagine just seeing all the sleeping animals wouldn't exactly get rave reviews. So call me skeptical on this one. It just doesn't make a lot of logistical sense when you think about it... But then it's Disney...
The animal concerns are being looked into and may result in some modifications to the collection, but DAK is very proud of their position in the AZA and they wouldn't do anything to jeopardize their accreditation.
All animals are called in by a different signal every evening, they are then put away and sleep in their shelters for the night. This is one reason DAK closes so early, it takes several hours to do this.
It doesn't take that long. Most of the animals know when it's time to come in and line up at the doors, just like they do at meal time. This is common behavior at all zoos. Also, a large number of the animals at DAKL stay out all night and it's not an issue.

Comparing Transformers/Potter to FLE is fair. Avatar is in an entirely different category. The E-ticket ride system they're working on has never been done before.

Tim_4

Original Poster
Busch Gardens Tampa, which is also accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, is open until 10:00 PM some nights and does special night safaris.
Right. No one is suggesting that DAK will be open until midnight like the MK, but adding two or three hours to their current schedule will make a big difference.

bubbles1812

Like all parks, Busch Gardens Tampa has hours that vary from day to day, but they are consistently open later than Disney's Animal Kingdom. The special nighttime safaris are up charge events held several times throughout the year.
Ah, special up charge events... Well that does sound right up Disney's alley. And if it is only done several times a year... I don't know. Still speaks of a lot of logistical challenges to make this a nightly (or even just a few nights a week) thing.

If animals want to sleep, they sleep. I'm sure everybody has seen plenty of sleeping animals during their rides on the Kilimanjaro Safari. The animals are also not required to come in at night, that is their choice.
There is truth in that animals sleep when they want to sleep. But in the day time, at least a good amount (minus the cats) are awake and maybe a bit active (though this is contingent on what time of the day they go). More would presumably be asleep at night. But beyond that, adding in a bunch of bright lights to allow guests to see plus noisy trucks running thru, if done as a nightly thing, doesn't scream great animal care to me.

djkidkaz

Has anyone been over at AK lately? Im wondering if there is anything to see in Africa where they are putting the new FOTLK building? Any vertical construction? Its been awhile since we've seen an update.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.

I think it's a quality ride, don't get me wrong. And I definitely won't argue you on the time-frame thing.
The fact that they are opening Springfield and Transformers at the same time as a GIGANTIC expansion spanning both parks... It's amazing what you can do when you're willing to spend a little money.

NoChesterHester

The animal concerns are being looked into and may result in some modifications to the collection, but DAK is very proud of their position in the AZA and they wouldn't do anything to jeopardize their accreditation.

It doesn't take that long. Most of the animals know when it's time to come in and line up at the doors, just like they do at meal time. This is common behavior at all zoos. Also, a large number of the animals at DAKL stay out all night and it's not an issue.

Comparing Transformers/Potter to FLE is fair. Avatar is in an entirely different category. The E-ticket ride system they're working on has never been done before.

Potter was a unique ride system.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Putting the Kuka arm on a track was though. The Kuka's at Sum of All Fears and at Nemo have stationary bases no?

The forward direction of motion adds a lot.

Yeah, Sum of All Fears is stationary, the moving Kuka arm was definitely a new ride system. It also had the innovation of moving the rider into and out of the domed projection screens.

What Nemo attraction uses Kuka?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Indeed. But it took how long before the ride system was greenlit?

Forbidden Journey was a new ride system. First Kuka on a track reacting with a built environment. Just sayin'.

I hope Avland blows us out the water. I really do. But one ride, one diversion and a few stores would be an insult to what DAK needs. I just pray that the Theatre project is fully implemented.

twebber55

Indeed. But it took how long before the ride system was greenlit?

Forbidden Journey was a new ride system. First Kuka on a track reacting with a built environment. Just sayin'.

I hope Avland blows us out the water. I really do. But one ride, one diversion and a few stores would be an insult to what DAK needs. I just pray that the Theatre project is fully implemented.

Theatre Project? Separate from E ticket?

doctornick

But "Theatre project", do mean a night time show a la World of Color? Or something else?

And, I agree, that a two attraction Avatar land doesn't really address everything that DAK needs (though it's a decent start).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom