HauntedMansionFLA

SCOTLORR

So is it Jungle Book, Zootopia, or a DinoRama replacement? Place your bets!

(IDK how likely those are, but they're my top three predictions.)
I'm really hoping for a full fleshed zootopia land in the area you pass when riding the train up to RPW. When I saw the movie I immediately thought it would be a perfect area for a theme park land, and considering its success, I think its a shoe in.

Marc Davis Fan

Not Pandora related, but I felt like it needed to be mentioned on this board since it kind of functions as a DAK expansion one... @MansionButler84 just sort of dropped this nonchalantly in a DHS thread: [ @doctornick quotes @MansionButler84 mentioning plans for another phase of major expansion at DAK ]

I really hope the next phase of DAK development includes a Dino-Rama replacement, in addition to the main expansions. (Wouldn't a C-ticket version of The Excavator work, e.g., a small, family-friendly coaster through a dig site? This would allow for an expansion of the rockwork-and-fossils theming seen at The Boneyard, in ways that I can imagine being a unique and pretty impressive environment.)

Despite having a backstory (which I suspect regular guests practically never realize), Dino-Rama stands out ever more sharply as the rest of DAK becomes ever more beautiful. With Pandora open, Dino-Rama's contrast with the rest of the park will become absurd. It simply must have a negative impact on guests' overall experience of DAK (even if subconsciously).

Last edited:

NeXuS1000

I really hope the next phase of DAK development includes a Dino-Rama replacement, in addition to the main expansions. (Wouldn't a C-ticket version of The Excavator work, e.g., a small, family-friendly coaster through a dig site? This would allow for an expansion of the rockwork-and-fossils theming seen at The Boneyard, in ways that I can imagine being a unique and pretty impressive environment.)

Despite having a backstory (which I suspect regular guests practically never realize), Dino-Rama stands out ever more sharply as the rest of DAK becomes ever more beautiful. With Pandora open, Dino-Rama's contrast with the rest of the park will become absurd. It simply must have a negative impact on guests' overall experience of DAK (even if subconsciously).

I would still argue for adding another new land before messing with Dino-Rama. DAK is still at a size where it needs additions more than replacements, even if those replacements would increase the average quality level of the park better than a new area.

Marc Davis Fan

I would still argue for adding another new land before messing with Dino-Rama. DAK is still at a size where it needs additions more than replacements, even if those replacements would increase the average quality level of the park better than a new area.

Yes, absolutely. That's why I was saying that the next phase of development should include a Dino-Rama replacement in addition to the main expansions. The main additional expansions would, unfortunately, probably need to open first in order for the park to retain what's considered adequate capacity. The means, unfortunately, another several years of Dino-Rama... (That is, unless they can do the Dino-Rama replacement project in a very short time, but that seems unlikely.)

UpAllNight

My pure guess would be WDW to receive a 'gift' off each resort for the 50th, as was done in the past, and Mystic Manor finds its way to AK. In all honesty I'd be exceptionally surprised if we see anything new in AK for atleast 5 years, but it does need more. I'm hoping the feedback from guests is that their needs to be a few more rides to keep them there for the night show. That's the only way anything new gets built I feel. Especially with Epcot and DHS in the state they are, and MK still needing more.

doctornick

I'm actually pleasantly surprised if they are actually considering additional development at DAK after Pandora opens. Yes, I wouldn't expect anything for a while even in that case (probably 2021 at the absolutely earliest under even the best case scenario) but I kind of felt they'd just totally ignore DAK for a long time feeling that RoL and Pandora make it "complete".

If they are looking at something quick for the near term, then an addition based on The Jungle Book in Asia would make the most sense; I wouldn't complain about it as they would be about as perfect a melding of appropriate theme and IP as you could get. Zootopia would be an obvious other consideration (though I don't think it's a great fit for DAK) but would require a new land or something like a makeover at Rafiki's.

I don't know why I'm thinking it, but I actually believe they might be considering bringing in a proper complimentary land by building Australia or South America in the huge undeveloped area in the north. That's what the park really should do to add onto the realism from Africa and Asia and bring in a new set of distinct live animals. The obvious downside to such a move (for the sharp pencil boys) would be a lack of potential corporate synergy (maybe something based on Up or Emperor's New Groove for S. America or Rescuers Down Under for Australia but none of those are really popular enough to warrant it). But I think us theme park fans would love it, especially if the same attention to detail went into it.

Last edited:

hpyhnt 1000

Obviously this doesn't speak for every guest, but when my GF and I visited in 2014 (this was her first time at AK), she remarked at how tacky and out of place Dinorama felt compared to the rest of the park, and I didn't even lead her into it! When I explained the whole backstory and reasoning, she remarked that sounded stupid. In her mind, something like Dinorama had no business being in a park with such detailed areas like Asia and Africa.

So I'd bet a significant number of guests do notice how out of place Dinorama is.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised if they are actually considering additional development at DAK after Pandora opens. Yes, I wouldn't example anything for a while even in that case (probably 2021 at the absolutely earliest under even the best case scenario) but I kind of felt they'd just totally ignore DAK for a long time feeling that RoL and Pandora make it "complete".

If they are looking at something for the near term, then an addition based on The Jungle Book in Asia would make the most sense; I wouldn't complain about it as they would be about as perfect a melding of appropriate theme and IP as you could get. Zootopia would be an obvious consideration (though I don't think it's a great fit for DAK) but would require a new land or something like a makeover at Rafiki's.

I don't know why I'm thinking it, but I actually believe they might be considering bringing in a proper complimentary land by building Australia or South America in the huge undeveloped area in the north. That's what the park really should do to add onto the realism from Africa and Asia and bring in a new set of distinct live animals. The obvious downside to such a move (for the sharp pencil boys) would be a lack of potential corporate synergy (maybe something based on Up or Emperor's New Groove for S. America or Rescuers Down Under for Australia but none of those are really popular enough to warrant it). But I think us theme park fans would love it, especially if the same attention to detail went into it.

Retheming Rafiki's for Zootopia would be fine, though that's about the only way I'd like to see Zootopia at AK. Any expansion needs to be South America and the Amazon rainforest. It's criminal that a park devoted to nature doesn't feature the continent/ecosystem that contains more than half of the world's plant and animal species. Another idea is an Oceania subland coupled to the Nemo theater.

RSoxNo1

Obviously this doesn't speak for every guest, but when my GF and I visited in 2014 (this was her first time at AK), she remarked at how tacky and out of place Dinorama felt compared to the rest of the park, and I didn't even lead her into it! When I explained the whole backstory and reasoning, she remarked that sounded stupid. In her mind, something like Dinorama had no business being in a park with such detailed areas like Asia and Africa.

So I'd bet a significant number of guests do notice how out of place Dinorama is.

Retheming Rafiki's for Zootopia would be fine, though that's about the only way I'd like to see Zootopia at AK. Any expansion needs to be South America and the Amazon rainforest. It's criminal that a park devoted to nature doesn't feature the continent/ecosystem that contains more than half of the world's plant and animal species. Another idea is an Oceania subland coupled to the Nemo theater.

Dinorama is out of place. It added needed capacity to a park but it should be the first thing replaced when the park expands beyond Avatar. The idea I like best is making the area the home to classic characters in the park. Extend the Dinosaur theme and have the characters dressed in some sort of Dinosaur related outfit. Add in a B or C ticket attraction with a more subtle theme and it's a much better land.

Mike S

Dinorama is out of place. It added needed capacity to a park but it should be the first thing replaced when the park expands beyond Avatar. The idea I like best is making the area the home to classic characters in the park. Extend the Dinosaur theme and have the characters dressed in some sort of Dinosaur related outfit. Add in a B or C ticket attraction with a more subtle theme and it's a much better land.
Classic characters dressed as Dinosaurs? Nah. Ice Age Mammals E Ticket.

hpyhnt 1000

How about dinosaurs dressed as classic characters. ;)

The synergy is strong with this concept...

$_1.JPG

(Sourced from eBay)

djkidkaz

I would like to see a new land with some animal exhibits. Pandas would be my first choice but back home at the local zoo they have a wolf exhibit which sounds lame but it was pretty entertaining because they are very active. Similar to the dogs on the Savannah.

I also think they could do a new land that is completely enclosed in a building and do like the arctic or something. Polar bears, penguins, etc.

Brian Swan

I would like to see a new land with some animal exhibits. Pandas would be my first choice but back home at the local zoo they have a wolf exhibit which sounds lame but it was pretty entertaining because they are very active. Similar to the dogs on the Savannah.

I also think they could do a new land that is completely enclosed in a building and do like the arctic or something. Polar bears, penguins, etc.
Adding pandas would be awesome, but it actually requires a diplomat initiative with the Chinese government and a huge amount of red tape. And I'm not really sure that the Orlando climate would be appropriate for them. But I WOULD really like to see more of an "oriental" representation in "Asia" than the predominantly "Indian" and "Tibetan" presence there now.

No Name

Not Pandora related, but I felt like it needed to be mentioned on this board since it kind of functions as a DAK expansion one... @MansionButler84 just sort of dropped this nonchalantly in a DHS thread:

I'd be extremely surprised if anything for DAK after Avatar gets approved by Iger.

Remember when someone nonchalantly dropped something in a spirited thread about a Frontierland expansion?Yeah, this has some odd resemblance. And I think it'll end the same way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom