No Name

SO on jim hills podcast he said he has a friend who did a walk through of Pandora. Basically said the friend doesnt like avatar but said they would go today because its the best work disney has ever done

A walkthough of Pandora? It isn't nearly finished yet, what the heck was he walking through? If it was a simulation, well, that isn't even comparable to actually experiencing the finished product.

Bob Iger told us he rode Flight of Passage, so I don't know what's going on. Maybe there's a secret one already built...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
A walkthough of Pandora? It isn't nearly finished yet, what the heck was he walking through? If it was a simulation, well, that isn't even comparable to actually experiencing the finished product.

Bob Iger told us he rode Flight of Passage, so I don't know what's going on. Maybe there's a secret one already built...

I think enough of the land has been built that you would get a pretty good sense of what it will be like walking through it.

jt04

Since the Test Track fiasco I think these systems get tested earlier in the developmental process. Likely he rode it during testing not in Orlando.

No Name

Since the Test Track fiasco I think these systems get tested earlier in the developmental process. Likely he rode it during testing not in Orlando.

Again though, where is this testing? On a computer? Sure, he might've seen the video for flight of passage. Maybe he watched it in a rocking chair. Whatever he did, we know for a fact that he didn't ride the actual ride. And there's a huge difference between the ride and something else, even for something so screen-based.

I think enough of the land has been built that you would get a pretty good sense of what it will be like walking through it.

I don't know... there aren't even any plants yet. Any scenery, waterfalls, completed rides. It's coming along, that's for sure, but it's still a lot of metal bars and dirt. You could get a good idea of the size and scope of the land, maybe, but I don't think much of the detail is there at all.

I certainly don't think there's enough there for the guy to declare it as the best thing they've ever built. It's not even built. I think it will be great, but it's just too early to say something like that. Just my opinion.

twebber55

Again though, where is this testing? On a computer? Sure, he might've seen the video for flight of passage. Maybe he watched it in a rocking chair. Whatever he did, we know for a fact that he didn't ride the actual ride. And there's a huge difference between the ride and something else, even for something so screen-based.

I don't know... there aren't even any plants yet. Any scenery, waterfalls, completed rides. It's coming along, that's for sure, but it's still a lot of metal bars and dirt. You could get a good idea of the size and scope of the land, maybe, but I don't think much of the detail is there at all.

I certainly don't think there's enough there for the guy to declare it as the best thing they've ever built. It's not even built. I think it will be great, but it's just too early to say something like that. Just my opinion.
for posterity it was a woman ;)

Cesar R M

what if they tested the video in an already working mechanism, aka SOARIN' ?

The ride could be already finished inside and they just need to add the thematic thing.

Sped2424

Still looks like Gel under a type of glass/acrylic base to me (ps, that video is old)

3:47 seconds in
Better? same effect and not gel or acrylic the glow is definitly happening through some kind of mapping tech in the glass notice how one foot catches it but not the other? Not a gel based resin my dude.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Again though, where is this testing? On a computer? Sure, he might've seen the video for flight of passage. Maybe he watched it in a rocking chair. Whatever he did, we know for a fact that he didn't ride the actual ride. And there's a huge difference between the ride and something else, even for something so screen-based..

They could have setup a prototype of some sort at Imaginnering, or maybe Vekoma has something setup at their factory. We also saw this shot in a video released in later 2013 that clearly shows them experimenting with something for ride.

os-pictures-disneys-avatar-land-at-animal-king-017.jpg

There are parts of the rockwork that have had their finished details added already so I think there would be enough to judge the quality of the work.

Cesar R M

3:47 seconds in
Better? same effect and not gel or acrylic the glow is definitly happening through some kind of mapping tech in the glass notice how one foot catches it but not the other? Not a gel based resin my dude.

Thats the video I had posted a few ago myself :>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom