Mike S

Love this AA :inlove:
download_image

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

Reminds me of that Lincoln head they showed off at D23 a few years back, though it seems like the Navi head has more fluid movement. Impressive!

The Lincoln head has 16 facial functions. In a comment from James Cameron a while back, he mentions he "thinks they're up to about 64 axes in the face alone" for the Navi. Not sure, but that actually could be plausible. At the very least the Navi's movement is FAR smoother. And we've only seen a single eye and the surrounding cheek/forehead, we've not even seen the nose or mouth move yet. Let alone the body (assuming they've also made improvements over other AA's there as well).

Previously the most advanced humanoid animatronics were A100's I believe. The Wicked Witch in GMR was the first A100 in a Disney attraction and that was over 25 years ago (there are now a number of A100's in the parks, but they're said to be extremely expensive). It's pretty clear that this Navi figure is going to be a step far above prior A100's, so i'm guessing it's also extremely expensive. Though i'm curious as to whether these Navi AA's are still based on A100 designs, or something completely new and different. I'm also curious as to whether the bodies have more axes of motion as well as the face.

Last edited:

Mike S

Reminds me of that Lincoln head they showed off at D23 a few years back, though it seems like the Navi head has more fluid movement. Impressive!

The Lincoln head has 16 facial functions. In a comment from James Cameron a while back, he mentions he "thinks they're up to about 64 axes in the face alone" for the Navi. Not sure, but that actually could be plausible. At the very least the Navi's movement is FAR smoother. And we've only seen a single eye and the surrounding cheek/forehead, we've not even seen the nose or mouth move yet. Let alone the body (assuming they've also made improvements over other AA's there as well).

Previously the most advanced humanoid animatronics were A100's I believe. The Wicked Witch in GMR was the first A100 in a Disney attraction and that was over 25 years ago (there are now a number of A100's in the parks, but they're said to be extremely expensive). It's pretty clear that this Navi figure is going to be a step far above prior A100's, so i'm guessing it's also extremely expensive. Though i'm curious as to whether these Navi AA's are still based on A100 designs, or something completely new and different. I'm also curious as to whether the bodies have more axes of motion as well as the face.

Kind of cool how both of the latest in AA tech premiered in WDW (A100 and the Na'vi with real face movement).

KingOfEpicocity

Kind of cool how both of the latest in AA tech premiered in WDW (A100 and the Na'vi with real face movement).

Except for Lincoln. Which I believe is a huge step in this tech. Probably the reason they attempted 64 in the face. Maybe it's easier because the Navis are so big.

Seabasealpha1

I hope you are right because the sparse feathers and patch of loin cloth are not enough. If I could recreate the Navi's -- I would immediately cut off their tails -- that would be first thing I get rid of, just so they can wear pants. There is no point in them having tails.

I hope there is not more than one or two Navi's in Avatarland -- just the boy and the girl. It should be more about Pandora and its gorgeous habitat.

Anyway, I just read that the boat ride is having "technical difficulties." This leads me to believe that this is not a simple boat ride like The Land, but a much more advanced system like what's used for the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Shanghai Disney. Very exciting.

Let's be honest though...I'm sure the imagineers aren't running around sculpting molds of certain (ahem) "parts" that would be inappropriate for families to see...under the covers of "certain areas" will probably be nothing...it's probably going to be closer to Barbie/Ken in terms of anatomy...

Really, it's a non-issue. Not that some level of thought hasn't crossed my own mind, but I'm seriously not worried about anything to do with "anatomy".

skimbob

I am always in awe of the Lincoln AA. It is amazing to see his inner workings as well as the finished product. AAs have come far since then but you still have to marvel at the original. He looks so real.

KingOfEpicocity

I am always in awe of the Lincoln AA. It is amazing to see his inner workings as well as the finished product. AAs have come far since then but you still have to marvel at the original. He looks so real.

The original 1964 world fair Lincoln is still pretty impressive. Most companies today aren't even at that stage yet. But it's crazy how realistic the new one is. Truly a tribute to Walt and his spirit of staying on the cutting edge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom